Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Open Gate Gearshift Conversion - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Open Gate Gearshift Conversion

Hi all, I've been through a multiple places of research and forums, but no luck finding much information about anyone succeeding this conversion.

Coming from an Elise, I know the stock gearshift is frustrating. The new exposed shifter has not only reverting this problem completely, but also improving the value of the car dramatically.  I have heard that the new 350 has a different chassis for bolting down the new gearshift,  which might require drilling through the aluminum chassis/floor. I don't think this is that much of a problem as I have seen many modifications can happen in this routine anyways?

Frank

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I'm aware, no one has done it yet.

Looking at DeRoure, you'd think it would be possible, but until you have the car apart and compare the differences, it's very hard to say.

This is the actual shifter mechanism. Items 2-17 are £750+VAT.  Ignoring the cables, the other parts are mainly mounting brackets of some sort, so probably wouldn't cost huge amounts extra.

5ad2f84ce0d16_ScreenShot2018-04-15at07_58_47.thumb.png.09554806450028a550a351dff5da013d.png

You then need to add a Sport 350 parking brake, which doesn't say a price on their website:
5ad2f955537cb_ScreenShot2018-04-15at08_03_23.thumb.png.3e2375ad73fe9fd88c9da7ae6388f10e.png

Then, again without a price, you need the exposed cover:

5ad2f850b2e1a_ScreenShot2018-04-15at07_58_25.thumb.png.d24ea6f60a3c97e3fbf50cdc46a39575.png

If someone with a Sport 350 and happens to have it in bits, we could easily see if the chassis is the same or not.  I would think it's possible to do, but I'd expect the cost to be about £2k + VAT in parts alone, then you need to piece them all together which would take quite a bit of time!

Normally I'm happy to be guinea pig on things like this, but on this occasion it's too high a risk even for me...   To me, the Inokinetic solution looks the best I've seen: https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/shiftr111?category=Transmission

Lotus silverstone told me that it would involve some heavy mods has between v6s and 350 it is not exactly the same position on chassis and so on ... no details, but nothing like an easy swap .. Inokenotic is great, just not the cool OEM look ofthe open gater ( note they do not have the black version anymore, the reason why I have not done it in my case yet :( )

Thanks for all the informative replies and information added. Unfortunately, there aren't any other Exige options in my area, as Exige S is all I can get my hands on. I'm all in love for the open gated shifter for both its stock sophisticated look and improved mechanism compared to all the past oem shifters.

From the replies above, I'm happy to hear at least that this conversion isn't requiring damaging the chassis. More or less, it seems that just figuring out the new bolting patterns and buying the complete console and the mechanical parts. I think it is well worth it. Just thinking about obtaining the stock exposed shifter isn't impossible makes the whole thing interesting. :pizza:

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure its not the norm (so don't go flaming me chaps) but I drove two 350's before getting My Exige S and both had trouble with gear changing. One was the Blue B & C car and when on track at Goodwood the race driver they had along and myself were both having trouble with 4th to 5th and back, so the new set up may not be that big a leap.

Martin S

what kind of trouble? only issue i have but not sure its normal or not is shift into first requires a hard push. Other than that, shifting to 5th requires a bit of travel but don't have much experience with manuals so no idea if thats normal.

37 minutes ago, MARTIN_S said:

I'm sure its not the norm (so don't go flaming me chaps) but I drove two 350's before getting My Exige S and both had trouble with gear changing. One was the Blue B & C car and when on track at Goodwood the race driver they had along and myself were both having trouble with 4th to 5th and back, so the new set up may not be that big a leap.

Martin S

ps. my VX220 was better.

The 350 onwards shifter is a huge improvement, but only if it's calibrated properly. You can adjust the cables and if they're not lined up correctly then you'll struggle to select gears easily. This is exactly the same on the Exige S, except the Exige S runs s*** cables which stretch and change depending on the heat in the engine bay so has even more problems.  I've changed to SSC aftermarket cables and the heat issue is very much reduced, but it doesn't have the precision or feel of the Sport 350 linkage. 

• 1 year later...

After reading GFWilliam's latest modification plans, I'd like to bringing this topic up again, and see if any news from fellow members here. This would be something really nice for V6s model exige (definitely not for the lap time, but for the good bits of driving experiences).

Frank

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...