Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Un1 Gearbox Upgrade In Usa - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Un1 Gearbox Upgrade In Usa

Are you interested in upgrading your UN1 gearbox in your Lotus Esprit? If yes, please read on.

I have been working over the past few months to have a UN1 gearbox upgrade manufactured here in the USA. I have been working with Derek Bell from the UK and have secured his design. Working with one of the premiere gearbox component manufacturers in the USA, one that builds gearboxes for both IRL and NASCAR, I am now at a point to decide whether to go forward with production. The manufacturer has analyzed and refined the design with CAD engineering. The material will be the highest quality Flexor steel and includes the primary shaft plus new first and second gears. This upgrade will be the finest available in the world.

I would like to gather a sense of true interest in the Lotus community. I am doing this for my Lotus passion and I do not wish to have multiple kits manufactured if they will not be purchased. Pricing is not yet available

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

Are you interested in upgrading your UN1 gearbox in your Lotus Esprit? If yes, please read on.

I have been working over the past few months to have a UN1 gearbox upgrade manufactured here in the USA. I have been working with Derek Bell from the UK and have secured his design. Working with one of the premiere gearbox component manufacturers in the USA, one that builds gearboxes for both IRL and NASCAR, I am now at a point to decide whether to go forward with production. The manufacturer has analyzed and refined the design with CAD engineering. The material will be the highest quality Flexor steel and includes the primary shaft plus new first and second gears. This upgrade will be the finest available in the world.

I would like to gather a sense of true interest in the Lotus community. I am doing this for my Lotus passion and I do not wish to have multiple kits manufactured if they will not be purchased. Pricing is not yet available

Is this a upgrade kit for the existing gearbox? If so I am interested.

Yes - this upgrade is for the stock Lotus Esprit UN1 gearbox. Thanks for the inquiry.

2001 Esprit V8

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

Yes - this upgrade is for the stock Lotus Esprit UN1 gearbox. Thanks for the inquiry.

Would this be a V8 upgrade strictly? I plan on having my 4 pot fully built and blueprinted next year and know my standard 65K mile gearbox will beg for mercy!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I understood with the DB conversion my casing needed to be machined in GB. A factor against sending my box overseas from Australia. Is it possible to get the parts and machining specifications and I organize the build locally?

DanR

According to your site the box will not need modifications so I guess you have found a bearing combination that works with the exsiting hole size of the case. Will the over hung 5th gear section be of a larger diameter as with Dereks?? If so is the bearing a custom one off or are you using a smaller outside diameter bearing and adding in a sleeve to take up the slack?? Not try to to pick on your solution, I actually am very interested this.

On the primary input shaft will it also will be a one piece configuration?? The spline choice for the primary input shaft will be the current Lotus spline or will consist of a new spline pattern requiring a new clutch??

The fact that the case does not need modifications to fit I like. I could be interested in this one. I think this also would be a huge selling point to others especially since sending the box out for machinng or fitting does not need to happen.

One last question...the new gear ratios for 1st and second will be..?? Same? Different?? Straight cut first or second or helicut? Will their be any options for this or any or the above questions? Anyway keep me posted on your progress and when these might be to market.

Thanks

Ray

• Sad 1

As far as I am concerned, my current gearbox works fine and I am not planning to replace it when it is still ok. However, it is likely that it needs to be replaced at some point. I am always interested in parts that have a higher quality than the original stock ones. If that means investing now to ensure a better one in the future I might be interested if the price is reasonable. I live in Europe and sending an entire gearbox to the USA is not an option. Therefore, is it possible to just purchase the upgraded parts en have them installed by a local Lotus dealer? Can people in Europe make use of this offer as well? How much time (estimate) is involved in replacing the parts. Are there exchange parts involved?

Thank you

Answering several questions left on this thread.

1. The upgrade is designed for the UN1-027; I am unsure if this will fit earlier revisions as I am not familiar with their internals. Perhaps someone else can answer this? I will also research.

2. The kit will be sold for installation at your location and available worldwide. I will be looking for qualified mechanics in the USA, Europe, Australia......

3. The bearings are custom for fitment into the stock housing and the fifth gear overhang is the larger diameter. The shaft is one piece Flexor steel. The gears are helical cut the same as OEM. Ratios will be 3.00 and 1.94 (OEM is 3.36 and 2.05). Spline is OEM Renault so no custom clutch work. At this time, the only option being considered is to allow larger bearings which would require case machining. This would be for those who are okay with modifying their case.

4. No parts exchange required, all upgrade parts are new.

5. Upgrade time - depends on your mechanic! The gearbox itself is quite simple, removal and reinstall is the most challenging.

2001 Esprit V8

Answering several questions left on this thread.

1. The upgrade is designed for the UN1-027; I am unsure if this will fit earlier revisions as I am not familiar with their internals. Perhaps someone else can answer this? I will also research.

2. The kit will be sold for installation at your location and available worldwide. I will be looking for qualified mechanics in the USA, Europe, Australia......

3. The bearings are custom for fitment into the stock housing and the fifth gear overhang is the larger diameter. The shaft is one piece Flexor steel. The gears are helical cut the same as OEM. Ratios will be 3.00 and 1.94 (OEM is 3.36 and 2.05). Spline is OEM Renault so no custom clutch work. At this time, the only option being considered is to allow larger bearings which would require case machining. This would be for those who are okay with modifying their case.

4. No parts exchange required, all upgrade parts are new.

5. Upgrade time - depends on your mechanic! The gearbox itself is quite simple, removal and reinstall is the most challenging.

I am interested!

Any idea how much we are talking here?.......just an idea or guess.

I am interested!

Any idea how much we are talking here?.......just an idea or guess.

Pricing is completely dependent on how many kits I have produced. If you are interested please complete the form on the website so I can track interest. www.hollowayperformance.com

I can state this will not be a cheap upgrade, yet it will be in the same price range as the current European options. No one wants to rework a gearbox so I am not sacrificing quality on materials and machining. It's gear design and synchro engagement is identical to OEM so shifting will be quality.

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time - I will get to a price in the next 30-45 days. Check the website!

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

• 1 month later...

Criag - I'm also interested (just found out I'm in need of a rebuild) any idea on price and time to availability?

Paul

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Criag - I'm also interested (just found out I'm in need of a rebuild) any idea on price and time to availability?

Paul

Paul

I am hoping to have the upgrade ready for LOG 27 in Aspen at the end of August. Worst case will be mid-late September. We want to make sure the fit/function is correct.

Price should be established by July. Sorry I can't be more specific here, but we are now adding a new fifth gear synchro hub to the kit to eliminate the need for the purchaser to machine their OEM hub to mate on the larger primary shaft.

If you have not already, please complete the inquiry form on the website to keep updated.

Cheers, Craig

2001 Esprit V8

Craig - thanks, I'll look out for you at LOG!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I am hoping to have the upgrade ready for LOG 27 in Aspen at the end of August. Worst case will be mid-late September. We want to make sure the fit/function is correct.

Price should be established by July. Sorry I can't be more specific here, but we are now adding a new fifth gear synchro hub to the kit to eliminate the need for the purchaser to machine their OEM hub to mate on the larger primary shaft.

If you have not already, please complete the inquiry form on the website to keep updated.

Cheers, Craig

Hi Craig,

It was nice meeting you at the track day last week, too bad it ended up such a rainy mess.

Cheers,

Sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Hi Craig,

It was nice meeting you at the track day last week, too bad it ended up such a rainy mess.

Cheers,

Sanj

Hey Sanj

I was great to meet you as well. I had a lot of fun running in the rain. Rather slick in spots but it did test our driving skills!

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

Craig.....any news for the UN1 upgrade?

any news on the developement and pricing?

The UN1 upgrade is progressing. I am working through final contract details with the manufacturer which has presented a slight delay. I hope to have a kit to view at LOG 27; if not it will be ready in September 2007.

I have added a new custom front primary shaft bearing and a new 5th gear synchro hub (also called 5th gear locking ring) to the kit. Without these, the purchaser would be required to have some custom machine work done on their OEM pieces and I want this to be a "plug-n-play" upgrade. It is best to eliminate as many variables as possible to get proper fit/function. The final CAD drawings and pricing for these 2 pieces are in the works - when they are done I will be able to identify the price.

Hopefully the price will be public by July.

Last, a new flyer will be distributed later this week to those that are on the distribution list via the website.

Cheers,

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

I do not know if you have had a look at Ramspott&Brandt, they have a replacement 6 speed to fit the UN1.

It is a straight cut box though....

:)

Edited by esprits4de

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

I do not know if you have had a look at Ramspott&Brandt, they have a replacement 6 speed to fit the UN1.

Are you sure they are not the one who supplied the failed TOP GEAR 200MPH project?

Derek Bell said he is not the one who supplied the parts.....could have been Ramspott$Brandt?

Looks like a good gearbox (but expensive at $10,000+ US). Would be great for pure track use; street use of a straight cut box can be challenging and frustrating for many drivers.

As with everything, it all depends on the purpose and intended use.

2001 Esprit V8

Are you sure they are not the one who supplied the failed TOP GEAR 200MPH project?

Derek Bell said he is not the one who supplied the parts.....could have been Ramspott$Brandt?

Definetly sure that R&B did not supply this item ! It only has been out for 1/2 year or so...The blown one is a totally different company.

UPDATE : They also have a 5 gear version....

Edited by esprits4de

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

As far as I am concerned, my current gearbox works fine and I am not planning to replace it when it is still ok. However, it is likely that it needs to be replaced at some point. I am always interested in parts that have a higher quality than the original stock ones. If that means investing now to ensure a better one in the future I might be interested if the price is reasonable. I live in Europe and sending an entire gearbox to the USA is not an option. Therefore, is it possible to just purchase the upgraded parts en have them installed by a local Lotus dealer? Can people in Europe make use of this offer as well? How much time (estimate) is involved in replacing the parts. Are there exchange parts involved?

Thank you

This is a risky strategy! when the Un1 fails in a V8 there is often a lot of collateral damage!!

When I upgraded the gearbox of a UK V8 owner, as well as the usual bits needed such as 5 th gears, selector forks, end cap etc, the pinion shaft was bent, and so a new pinion shaft was needed, and as pinions are matched pair with the crown-wheel, a new crown-wheel was needed as well, so the only thing left of the original gearbox was the casing halves! this cost twice what the upgrade would have cost on its own, and you get to choose when its done if you do it on a healthy gearbox.

Lotus encouraged me to offer the upgrade to reduce the number of Un1's destroyed as they are a finite resource, it will get more and more difficult to find spare gearboxes, look after the one you have!

:mail:

Not only is this a straight cut (noisier than helical gears) gearbox, but is also i believe a dog box (no synchromesh) so is strictly a track item in my view.

Edited by un1man

Derek,

What is the status of your gearbox upgrade? Is it available?

Regards,

Peter.

This is a risky strategy! when the Un1 fails in a V8 there is often a lot of collateral damage!!

When I upgraded the gearbox of a UK V8 owner, as well as the usual bits needed such as 5 th gears, selector forks, end cap etc, the pinion shaft was bent, and so a new pinion shaft was needed, and as pinions are matched pair with the crown-wheel, a new crown-wheel was needed as well, so the only thing left of the original gearbox was the casing halves! this cost twice what the upgrade would have cost on its own, and you get to choose when its done if you do it on a healthy gearbox.

Lotus encouraged me to offer the upgrade to reduce the number of Un1's destroyed as they are a finite resource, it will get more and more difficult to find spare gearboxes, look after the one you have!

Not only is this a straight cut (noisier than helical gears) gearbox, but is also i believe a dog box (no synchromesh) so is strictly a track item in my view.

Definetly sure that R&B did not supply this item ! It only has been out for 1/2 year or so...The blown one is a totally different company.

UPDATE : They also have a 5 gear version....

I know this 5th and 6th gear upgrades from R&B are from

http://www.gtoengineering.co.uk/gtor/page1.htm

Ask for Kevin.He is the man when it comes to UN1.He have huges knowledge about this gearboxes and gives very good customer suport.I know he have also delivered this kit to V8 Esprit at this forum.

Main resons to buy this upgrades is that it have been on marked for several years now with good reputation.

I know that GT40 replica people with hige torque V8 use this in theyr cars with grate sucess.

I have done a lot of investigation about this gearboxes latly because of my high torque Lexus V8 twin turbo prodsject.

And this 5th gear upgrade kit seams to be as stong or stronger than the ZF boxes delivered in the Di Tomaso Pantera and to GT40`s replicas.Take a look on the GT40 forum,a lot of good info about diffrent gearboxes.

I did go thrue my paper and it says that GTO had delivered 80 gearbox kit to the UN1 and no failures.

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html