Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
'88 Carb Turbo Stevens Esprit - Catch Up Maintenance! - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

'88 Carb Turbo Stevens Esprit - Catch Up Maintenance!

• Gold FFM

Nice work @Llewelyn82 Great to see another Esprit being maintained and futureproofed.

These are the triangulated cooling duct supports as fitted to the later cars, mounted to the front cross member close to where you have yours but triangulated to the ARB mountings, construction solid steel bar. Your idea is spot on, but could do with beefing up a bit maybe.

DSC_0204.thumb.JPG.698be344704563fcd131fd5b8183632e.JPG

Come on get those carpets fitted, it won't be half as difficult as you think.... 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
10 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Come on get those carpets fitted, it won't be half as difficult as you think.... 

That's going to be my treat once the car is back on the road! :) I'm waiting to savour fitting them!

Cheers for the photo and info re the radiator carrier support bars, I did wonder if aluminium would be strong enough but they don't seem to be taking much load - At least from what I can see. I'll be keeping a general eye on things under there when I start driving it anyway so if things seem amiss with them I'll get them changed...

• Like 1

Quick update - Car is fighting fit again.... Almost! 😁

First test drive happened earlier this week following about 6 months off the road (unbelievable how time flies). Following my cleaning up of various grounds and connectors, and the installation of a new battery ground and a new ground from the o/s front chassis leg into the frunk which services the lighting, horn and washer pump circuits it was nice to see all electrics feeling a lot more positive, in particular all gauges (bar the speedo as it's mechanical) are rock solid and exactly where they should be. 

This has highlighted a new issue which is I am only achieving 0.5bar boost at WOT. I've checked all the throttle linkage which is fine. Also all vac hoses, intake hose, turbo to wastegate pos. pressure line are all new and in good order. Wastegate actuator on the other hand is in a right state... It's got a nyloc nut for the rod adjuster which I am sure isn't original, and the rod adjuster itself is only 5 teeth off max adjustment. Guessing the PO had problems due to a worn internal spring which has been compensated for over the years. I'm not messing around, for the sake of £12 I've ordered a new Garrett OE one. Will post the results when I fit it!

The next problem is my starter... I've had an intermitted no start issue ever since I've had the car where even when I've got plenty of juice the solenoid just clicks rapidly. I whipped it off after work yesterday and, well, have a look at the state of it. I'm another £200 in ( :(but awaiting delivery of a high torque starter from SJ so hopefully it will be a nice little upgrate!

Installation should be quick and easy... Getting to know this engine bay quite well now!

KEzwbCTPZBAmJjwI_wg_KYW_rB42h1t3BcC78PHpoIcwSV7ybskcF4yxqfyPTtvUPUEL2lWxobWHQrWJXWmMo0pP06Q__Dnu_lavx9ePwWSEbsbByHV7sSOcvTZqSqLnolJjICbGe4ZrMQPsr_rPJzOdy4jhyuv4-ve4B9X9KdeK56R0r-AI6-ltxkm-dfqH2yTh5zNGWF-6HCvqXJPxJ37POa4c9KKvveRSG7UsR7qWTOoi8NtMey3h4NDw1WyUOHGbXcwoh7Gs7IIBuXRd-tbGajvnFXBYdpzXb4vFoCe4OW0EvOoqy9xDAn_RZjYz1ZirS9kmhytC-Hd9RZtBcsmlYs8Dn8BLGYbA1KaEanqMmf_WKdyEHg6WkJl00RiY2mr7ALTCAgIy92S3U8WrcGbQ6bowYE_SjaXEpHLQht1U_KEGZk1XQ9Y19i8ioZygJTFBmRewbtyel9_7LzDB5J2za0GVQCvGesiA5qYvMpg1ZNue-1_0UUAlLUq-Z03DYZ2nYz4OpCVFdfpHtIMBrirmS5spPCZ0sBVgJbpgH3OqGDeiLWLukelEBsondbC3JswonNFfHl0otnKawOE8aK_3e4m_IR98jN_H6W9irwTPvrTEUbsd-pHHuQkjqX6mlzhohRGIdJggTVMIHns7KjA6m_3nV7A=w840-h943-no

nwoTRb5InRvGlBpLUa6RmtUs0kgRhE1t0d5nYKFTG9-b2DIT6nWiwnOKT2wA8-f-4gtsa7kOB-XUc5g-mzkQzELGjJ1Fce_5TGnc046xiYjF5hJlLSN7PPDXjuNWvaESoR1lX86iQcT5MePZexQolZadmzfT8R7Dzbfsz1FQ23mTvmxeC5WsKoBAqtbQtNcA0tbOkaLSddCqBFSLEFFloqI2p4S0AlCi9KLaxw0Cpe7porIXIFQpEuY9igbwbS8Xj8icn6rtsKqfp9j22kWo5E-Q_vKFI7ey1dA394QO7zumAU99p1h3xi_rAbCNY6HvjzSC_4PTKBCUcdBaOfsLgcxr8sx0aH5HvOA-5T9An9mDwr_YKDBEwAX647p2HxW7_34Uokao_0rIwhk1e7Z2T9pjkydDWaJf_ps8QPEZmTA7Z54XiHXT4SNU5OEVcuJ_DXjGymAqi6yU635a2cte03CuECFrgkRe1IaDxLG91Qk9XIieKQjkNR_f_HEY1yeLk8UqeF2jiDGGPdaTdj0T_pbVh-zuFHpLiDRjXPTQVtWtcVV75Eoa7eFqaO3TDuA7vLoKq_XlzgZipc3WYgr29RicG3BiH5FFlZU63K6QGqJ_MtvqBR89mcIqDaw8ucUQgC-XM_gPXOOBPIAUhNfbUY_Ch_tbsmc=w869-h943-no

xflbvbDwRzUEKwZv2WFzY4OcIbo1ggFBK9b7wvzDxbo-39i8NZJLmS2ZA0X3DGL-GfWsC41mOKNws_I3Lc2riI2aaUm8Nc9QlJinf3l7ABXXwjhA7HSxxhytdfFmsaMZsZieJtpa9D2kVPQLQGQ0bzA8QLsqoLetytGgvSQQzeUXSsJg0IEypisGiZ2xzw1SKtHtHQET87dSjmRZvDIEtxyxWB0sAIyZCU5WDZRcrRZoBKr_2B2-a-N7by5taiQo4nHbDU0yE-seCQdySyonJhNRg7Ue4cli06Gl6A46MUwzuyoqo4wYFf1Q_EpFVRscK6tuQxo8GcZz_d5UlPqW4SyNiim8qJo-uHOy1BlGxSETrsqNXH3GXqBCC2vlLzXzTwKUSThqUYAodCnX8Tm-0urlz0NcVTOoMCeUI5EYsClxL7x84sIfZBHaLLe4-58-iDoceQ_7SKRgpRQafGVxYxghOKZ7z1XwpD49fodAdzwHdgQn3ep5qeqE6SuowPLJGQ-NBqCIwKCBOzjNa6zORWYATALNNqhodvUWKVzEOAyZBapVabvmCG0OcsSiweO2UhXwPqxOBmCgicsTUYHiyuIOrsVn8qBX-SI1uua-vYcAQwMg7vdVoYVL6jkPpTtByOznLjSbVB2-FWeHAJRfYeuJkA6gP9c=w972-h943-no

All good fun....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llewelyn82 said:

The whole thing is going in the bin!

That would be a shame, there's plenty of places that do a good job rebuilding starter motors (and alternators) as long as the major components are intact. I have a working starter with a broken body (one of the ears that bolts to the bellhousing), that can't be rebuild unfortunately...

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

That would be a shame, there's plenty of places that do a good job rebuilding starter motors (and alternators) as long as the major components are intact. I have a working starter with a broken body (one of the ears that bolts to the bellhousing), that can't be rebuild unfortunately...

Filip

It won't really be going the bin :) It is in a bit of a state though!