Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ride height and measuring - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ride height and measuring

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
On 07/06/2018 at 17:51, Hangar 111 said:

140/158?!?  You are measuring it correctly?  That sounds higher than standard suspension (may well not be).  Should be measured at the front and side jacking points.

We are running around 120mm on our EX460 demo car, as we wanted to keep it sort of usable. On JRZs, of course ;)

Hmmm you don't have alot of damper travel there!  Also if the springs are unseating on full droop, whilst not uncommon on some setups, that is not an ideal situation.  If you have compromised the damper travel with the spring platform adjustment, then I'd say you need to change the springs, which will also give you some more ride height adjustment.

Dave

Wouldn't changing the spring simply allow you to change the ride height? Damper travel would only be lengthened by the physical body of the damper being shorter? A shorter spring, to get ride height, will also shorten the damper travel.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

That is what I am saying Dave. Shortening the spring only allows you to change ride height. As you lower the ride height, you will decrease your damper travel. By the damper body, I mean the part of the damper which houses all the piston etc, not the overall damper length.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

So thanks to @Seriouslylotus who saved the day and managed to get me a second set of brackets delivered today after Lotus seemingly don’t understand how to ship a product direct to a customer! 

Fitted the brackets today and there are some differences... the CupR brackets are bigger and I would say look stronger.

There is a slight differance in hole position to what I’d say brings the dampner higher than on the Nitron bracket.

3380DABE-14B0-4FAD-96DE-7900D24699FF.thumb.jpeg.d06c1b3a744e7ea52b7c580e69d9c644.jpeg

CF4BD1A6-A852-44D6-B3E5-066A066569A8.thumb.jpeg.c38bb5969a4c1b6ed34ebf025453cfb4.jpeg

I did the swap of brackets myself and it’s not too bad a job to be fair.

The fronts I have wound all the way down, the spring is unseated but doesn’t seem anywhere as big a gap than before.

I also lowered the rear a bit with 15mm left of thread to wind down further if needed.

My current setup is now 132mm Front and 142mm Rear this is with no driver and half a tank of petrol.

@550superfast does that sound about right to you? Are your measurements including you in the drivers seat?

@Arun_D would be good to know how yours compares when you pick up on Saturday.

www.alias23.com

11 hours ago, alias23 said:

I did the swap of brackets myself and it’s not too bad a job to be fair.

Did you apply some Duralac to the back of brackets to prevent any chance of galvanic corrosion?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Sorry if I'm hyjacking this thread, but the Öhlins pictures inspired me.

I have the Öhlinse Road set in the EX460 and have a terrible rattle when driving on rought roads. We've been trying to isolate the source without driving 1.000 Km to Komotec.

I have a video of the rear absorber: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5cV5j8t2yVNy1aJc8

Does anyone have a picture of their setup, or can spot an obvious difference?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 1 year later...
On 07/06/2018 at 09:08, 550superfast said:

I am measuring at points A and B

jackingpoints.gif.e4dfa3c77b79759df31751bbfd78cb24.gif

At points A and B on a stock 2019 350 Sport i get 155mm at both points on a level'ish garage floor (garage floors should have a ~1 in 80 slope).

The Lotus Service Notes TDV suggests 130mm front and 135mm rear.  Why is mine so much higher?

Measuring my front splitter from the floor is 143mm.

On 08/06/2018 at 19:08, 550superfast said:

...What we learnt is that 60 litres of fuel and a driver make about a 5-7mm difference...

:driving:

So with that in mind my car would still be high at 148mm - 150mm.

Now the TDV also suggests that a mid-laden weight + full tank is the setting the ride height and geo should be set up for and thats 2 x 75KG.

by my reckining 60 litres = 60 kg and so that is 60 + 75 = 135kg = 6mm (ave) drop.  That is 22.5KG is worth 1mm drop.

So, with 2x75KG + 50 litres we have 200KG of load which should drop the car by 9mm. 

That would have my car resting, mid-laden, at 146mm - still 11mm and 16mm higher than it should be.

Thoughts anyone?  Happy to be corrected...

• 1 year later...

Hi Joe, 
to be honest, that is the same situation with my Ex 350 (with the Bilsteins). I just installed a Nitron 3 way and therefore i am into ride heights a bit. There is enough room to lower the car with the Nitrons but is seems to me optically very low when i reach the original 130/130 mm. Strange.

Best , Moritz