Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Aluminum Header Tanks - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Aluminum Header Tanks

Artie

Does anyone know who makes the SE aluminum radiator and chargecooler header tank combo's? My stock ones are getting pretty rusty and would like to get a nice set of aluminum ones.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a couple (at least) of companies producing them in the UK, Artie. But as you're the other side of the pond I suspect that the following will probably be more relevant and cheaper for you (extracted from a recent posting on the Yahoo Turboesprit list) -

"I attended Lotus Corps Tuneup Clinic today and John Welch from WC Engineering brought a sample of dual overflow tanks in aluminum his company will produce. They were like a little jewels. If you are interested, get in touch with WC Engineering..."

Hope that's of some help.

James

Edited by Tentenths

If they are only rusty have them redone

powdercoat them in the colour you like or have them chromised

i think that's the cheapest solution

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

If they are only rusty have them redone

powdercoat them in the colour you like or have them chromised

i think that's the cheapest solution

rens

I bought a new one in the Lotus sale. Mine was rusty, though fixable.

The new one was <$100

I had quotes for new ones from $400 (stainless or aluminum) to $800 (Esprit Engineering)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hey Art, isn't your "stock" one the one off of my car? If your looking at getting another one I WANT IT BACK!! :wacko: I looked at getting them from Lotus and they wanted something like $500+ so now I am looking at simply using some GM generic tanks to fit.

-G

Does anyone know who makes the SE aluminum radiator and chargecooler header tank combo's? My stock ones are getting pretty rusty and would like to get a nice set of aluminum ones.

Artie

Hey Art, isn't your "stock" one the one off of my car? If your looking at getting another one I WANT IT BACK!! :wacko: I looked at getting them from Lotus and they wanted something like $500+ so now I am looking at simply using some GM generic tanks to fit.

-G

Thanks guys for all the replies, I think I will try something on this side of the pond.

Graham,

:D Back at ya! I suspect it is your old one. I will contact John at WC and see how much he's looking for for new aluminum ones.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Let us know what he says, I may go down that route if the price is right

-Graham

Thanks guys for all the replies, I think I will try something on this side of the pond.

Graham,

:P Back at ya! I suspect it is your old one. I will contact John at WC and see how much he's looking for for new aluminum ones.

Artie

Let us know what he says, I may go down that route if the price is right

-Graham

Graham,

Haven't heard back from John yet, but I am in the process of pricing material and have enlisted the help of a welder to possibly produce my own aluminum version of the tanks together. I will keep you posted and I don't know what the costs will be of the piping and aluminum sheets that I'll need along with the filler necks I'll have to buy to make it all work.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Esprit Engineering,they fit well and look great don't much around they fit

Esprit Engineering,they fit well and look great don't muck around they fit

And they cost $800.... what they quoted me anyways... No thanks.

You could buy two Weapon R aluminum tanks and bracket then together for less than $200.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Ha perfect! Just as you posted this I was browsing around the net looking for universal aluminum tanks. Not only are these cheap but they are beautiful! +1 for Travis again :P

And they cost $800.... what they quoted me anyways... No thanks.

You could buy two Weapon R aluminum tanks and bracket then together for less than $200.

Ha perfect! Just as you posted this I was browsing around the net looking for universal aluminum tanks. Not only are these cheap but they are beautiful! +1 for Travis again :P

Yes, I looked into this a while ago but couldnt' seem to find any with rad caps, just nipples on top! Graham you could easily do that just add it next to your rad header tank for the chargecooler. Also, since there is an overflow tank on our cars the expansion/header tank volume isn't really that important, just to be sure to fill up the system and bleed the air out!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Speaking of radiator caps, does anyone know (Travis?) what the maximum safe pressure our radiators can take before breakdown? I am trying to pick a suitable radiator cap...seeing as my car came without one I can't reference the old one!

Speaking of radiator caps, does anyone know (Travis?) what the maximum safe pressure our radiators can take before breakdown? I am trying to pick a suitable radiator cap...seeing as my car came without one I can't reference the old one!

Stock is .9bar iirc, or 13psi. Problem will be finding the big blanking cap for the larger tank. Jeff at JAE most certainly will have them in stock!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Good stuff, thanks guys! I am actually going to build a totally new system using those Weapon-R polished tanks. It should actually work better and as a plus it will look extra pretty :P

The chargecooler pressure cap is 7psi.

The main Rad overflow bottle is 15psi, then the coolant bottle has a blanking cap as Artie said.

A bit late in the day for reply I know, however thought I'd mention I had mine repaired & Chromed. It cost me about

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Mine was in an awful state - I replaced it with the later style plastic bottle and modded the cooling system to suit - works fine but you don't get the chrome effect which looks pretty darn cool !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hello gents,

Not to be an alarmist but you might want to reconsider the steel coolant tank. I am in the middle of rebuilding my 1983 turbo esprit and in cleaning the block a large amount of scale from the tank was deposited in the number 4 cylinder liner area. This caused quite a bit of corrosion that needed to be ground out and be repaired.

If you are not totally sure your esprit has had frequent coolant changes and is in tip top shape I would look to replace it. If in draining your tank you find lots of rust it would be a tell tale that it is time to upgrade.

If you have the motivation you can remove the brass plug near the rear of the block and then flush as much of the crud out as you can.

Finding a suitable (and not terribly expensive) repalacement is not easy. I will either fabricate a stainless one or modify one that looks close. Below is a link to one that might serve my purpose.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1840,29_Expansion-Tank.html

Jeff

Picture of damaged area.

post-1210-1179087593.jpg

www.espritturbo.com