Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Powering Dashcam from the Premium ICE Aux USB - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Powering Dashcam from the Premium ICE Aux USB

Tried powering my dshcam (Trancend 200) from the AUX USB in the glovebox on my new 400, but the Dash Cam thinks it is connected to a computer. Its the Premium upgrade head unit, the Alpine INE=W710D.

Anyone know if you can configure the Aux socket to be "Power Only"? Or am I faced with running a USB extension lead from the rear fag lighter socket?

Thanks

Cracked it.  If you stick a bit of cellotape over the centre 2 contacts in the USB plug, it disables data and becomes charge only.  You can also buy short plug adaptors that do the same thing from Amazon.

• Like 1

Or you could hard wire it directly to the fuse box using a piggy back fuse holder.

Took me less than 1 hour from start to finish including evaluating where to route the wire and which fuse to use

That will be the plan Paul, just trying to get it set up on a temroary basis for now.

Could you describe which fuse you used and where you mounted the cam and the cable route

I tucked  the wire in to the headlining and routed it to the drivers side A pillar trim, (wanted  to avoid any issue with the wire interfering with the radio aerial which is behind the passenger side), tucked it behind the A pillar trim and then found an easy route alongside & under the dash to bring it under the steering column and through to the fuse box.

I used a piggy back connector on the fuse for the front accessory socket, live with acc & ignition on, and all is ok.

I intend to explore a permanent live over the coming week so I can get the parking recording working, so if you need pictures of anything whilst my head is under the dash let me know

On 30/06/2018 at 14:39, PaulCP said:

Or you could hard wire it directly to the fuse box using a piggy back fuse holder.

Took me less than 1 hour from start to finish including evaluating where to route the wire and which fuse to use

I didn't know this "piggy back fuse holder" technic. Can you share a photo of your fusebox and give us some references for the fuse holder ?

thank you

By “piggy back fuse holder” I mean this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281913202584

allows you to tap into an exisiting feed by replacing fuse with the black holder, placing existing fuse in front section of holder (to maintain supply to existing item) and new fuse behind it feeding power to the wire which you splice on to the new connection/accessory

Hope that makes sense, will post a pic of fuse box with it all in place later in the week when I next “get down there”😉

• Like 2

Interesting info guys......My E has just gone into have 1000 mile service and having the 990 upgraded to the premium 710 as Simon......would appreciate any tips and hacks as if its anything like the 990 its not user friendly lol.......One question though.....Have you tried connecting an Ipad ?

Picture of fuse box and fuse used for powering dashcam for @geartox

The piggy back fuse fuse holder can be seen with both the original 10amp fuse inserted and the 2 amp extension fuse for the red lead which eventually goes to the dash cam. The black fuse holder then inserts in to the original location of the 10 amp fuse, 4th from bottom right which is the fuse for the rear cabin accessory socket.

The 10 amp fuse on the top right is a permanent live feed to the horn which I intend to tap into in the same way to get the parking recording working on the dash cam.

There is also a permanent live to the left of the fuse box (not shown) which looks like a spare female connector with a purple wire going to it. Anybody any idea what the idea behind this unused part of the loom is?

6A2B7807-6931-4FE4-B969-04C115E29882.thumb.jpeg.df9f16ee09bd22fa18b489d2066be25b.jpeg

• Thanks 2