Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coolant advice and procedure? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coolant advice and procedure?

Smithy111

Noticed my coolant looks very oxidised and brown/red so going to flush it out and refill. Is there any preferable coolants to use in the esprit? Also is there any special procedure? I was going to pull the bottom hose on the rad and flush it through with a hose?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Use a good quality ethylene glycol (blue) .  Dont use a modern OAT (pink) coolant - as its not compatible with brass/brazed parts.   I'd be disappointed to see 'rusty' water, that'll be the liners & water pump impeller.  I assume damage to the ally parts will be less visable.   No real special procedure.  Remember there is a bleed plug on top left of the rad.  I pull the short metal pipe under the engine to drain.   But any low point will be fine  

While you are there, open up the heater core pipes in the front to get as much out as possible.

Evans has been discussed at lenght in another thread.

Probably good if you have the money and like to play with liquid as you need to flush thoroughly with their flushinf liquid  (if it can really be done on an Esprit) before putting the stuff in. 

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Not sure about the later cars but on my S1 when I drain it I only get about 50% of the coolant out. With Evans you need to have something like 3 or 4% max of water so I don't see how I'd ever get the rest of it out? I though about filling mine with Evans after a 10 year rebuild as it was bone dry. At a cost of £200 I'm glad I didn't as I had a couple of leaks and I would have had a very expensive swimming pool in my garage!!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Think im going to just go with a glycol antifreeze too much hassle and im finding more problems each week with the car that im getting a bit pissed off with it now and ive only had it 2 months :(

• Gold FFM

Keep the faith chap. Remember it’s a very old classic car and returning to everyday use will throw up some issues.

took mine out this morning and I have to say I wasn’t feeling the love - this afternoon was very different and I’ve presently only one niggle to sort

Only here once

I'm trying Barry, just keep finding things that dont work or have been bodged in the past and being a bit ocd I have a need to fix everything perfect and not the 'that will do' attitude that some people might have towards things! If its present it should work and function correctly so just have to preserver and stick with it i think!