LEF on TV!

Loteuk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what we do for 'fun' :wallbash:

Its fun Tony all right .......

Been there doing it for over 20 years, Got the broken neck AND had the vertebrae repair op to prove it...............

I will only go fast in boats now when the sea is relatively flat !

Mike :welcome:

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

I think this might just be OTT..............

Mike :wallbash:

I got hurt in australia in one of these boats ( and it had only one engine!) when the driver went wave jumping. We had to use our legs like suspension and mine gave way on a big impact and I crashed onto a corner of some baulkhead box. My leg swelled bad and went purple with mega bruising.

I would never do that sort of thing again without seat, straps, calm water and a rescue boat on standby. V dangerous water , high speed and big impacts.

I would never do that sort of thing again without seat, straps, calm water and a rescue boat on standby. V dangerous water , high speed and big impacts.

Alex

Its the quite considerable G forces onthe neck and spinal column that did for me, by the end of the seventies I had done approx ten years of racing in small boats and feeling 'electric' shocks across my shoulders in extreme G force conditions, thought nothing of it until the end of the eighties and during one really rough Round the Island race and in the lead off the Nab we fell into a hole and I was paralysed for about twenty minutes !. it must have been some impact in a two ton boat as the engine , a big block was hanging off its mountings in a drunken manner !

Not the first time for drama in boats for me , nearly died from hypothermia when the boat I was testing prior to a world champ event was 'Submarined ' after too much enthusiastic driving ............it was last seen passing the Needles with only the pointy bow above the water !

Happy Days !

AND then there was the time that ......

I wont go on, dont want to bore you 'Motoring Types' !.......... Shall we talk Insurance ?? :wallbash:

(Did anyone catch the powerboat P1 series shown on SKY last night ?)

Mike

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

• Gold FFM

This is what we do for 'fun' :welcome:

Wow - anybody reading this has got to watch it! :wallbash:

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Alex

Its the quite considerable G forces onthe neck and spinal column that did for me, by the end of the seventies I had done approx ten years of racing in small boats and feeling 'electric' shocks across my shoulders in extreme G force conditions, thought nothing of it until the end of the eighties and during one really rough Round the Island race and in the lead off the Nab we fell into a hole and I was paralysed for about twenty minutes !. it must have been some impact in a two ton boat as the engine , a big block was hanging off its mountings in a drunken manner !

Not the first time for drama in boats for me , nearly died from hypothermia when the boat I was testing prior to a world champ event was 'Submarined ' after too much enthusiastic driving ............it was last seen passing the Needles with only the pointy bow above the water !

Happy Days !

AND then there was the time that ......

I wont go on, dont want to bore you 'Motoring Types' !.......... Shall we talk Insurance ?? :wallbash:

(Did anyone catch the powerboat P1 series shown on SKY last night ?)

Mike

Had a few breaks over the past 4 years but nothing serious luckily. It took a while to realise that we put all our efforts into boat prep and none into welfare. Now we have kidney belts under back protector and the jacket tight. I use a neck protector as the helmets are pretty heavy in lateral forces.

Its not all out of shape racing though......its a great feeling to intimidate while racing for a turn and using tacticts of experience to gain a few feet. The boats are so similar (did I say that Mike :welcome: ) that 0.1 of a mph is enough to be competitive.

The best racing is when we race each other and not the roughest conditions.

All that you see on the vid. can be seen from the shore by the spectators so its a pretty good day out with hospitality, plasma screens etc.

I missed the P1 on TV Mike. Sad time for the series with the recent fatality of one of the Italian team.

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

You're all mad. Not only are you being rattled around by bouncing about on the water, you're getting thrown out the boat or clouted by the competitors. I never realised the boats got so close to each other. It's all too scarey for me.

Why don't you do something safer like parachute testing or bull-riding?

You must be so high on adrenalin after a race that you can't sleep for a week. :)

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

You must be so high on adrenalin after a race that you can't sleep for a week. :)

Thats the least of the problem, you feel so battered on Monday, just about come back to life on Wednesday and try to run the business to make some money to go racing again.

On Thursday you are checking and repairing the boat and motors for next weeek ends race !! :)

You would not believe the number of businesses that go under because the owner has discovered a lifestyle that is so addictive that it will take over the remaining brain cells that are still functioning !

Mike :crybaby:

Oh, and I have just remembered the hotel wrecking and late drinking and standing in a small boat rocking about with a massive hangover while the diesel fleet fired up...oh my head hurts and we havent raced yet !

Windermere records week is something else........

Edited by MKE40

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Thats the least of the problem, you feel so battered on Monday, just about come back to life on Wednesday and try to run the business to make some money to go racing again.

On Thursday you are checking and repairing the boat and motors for next weeek ends race !! :)

You would not believe the number of businesses that go under because the owner has discovered a lifestyle that is so addictive that it will take over the remaining brain cells that are still functioning !

Mike :crybaby:

Lend us a tenner Mike? :)

Lend us a tenner Mike? :)

Its a considerable amount of therapy that you need Tony, but if a tenner helps ..........

Mike :)

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

• 1 month later...
Tony, you should have posted a date reminder re Torquay. Would have liked to come down, brought binocculars and spectated.

:thumbsup: The times for the LEW on tv are as follows (started 2 weeks ago)

Sat 1st Sept @ 1600

Sat 8th Sept @ 1730

Sat 15th Sept @ 1700

Sat 22nd Sept @ 1515

Sat 29th Sept @ 1700

Sat 6th Oct @ 1700

Sat 13th Oct @ 1700

Sat 20th Oct @ 1630

This weekend is the Isle of Man coverage on the 150's :question: ............don t ask........but the team performed as you will see???

• 3 weeks later...

:wallbash:

nice question Alex!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Its in the Mersey, with a 10m tide. Great viewing as the boats are about 20ft from the dock walls and full speed.

The pits are at the Albert Dock - lots happening there.- plenty of other things happening.

1st race Saturday at about mid day and an hour later on the Sunday. :wallbash:

Hmmm ...................Nutters :D

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Well, we finished 7th in the Series out of 21 very competitive teams...... (not great but back next year all the same to try harder)

7th means we wear No.7 next Season.......hmmmm....... 007? or lipstick and mascara?? :thumbsup:

The guys in the pic were unhurt, more shock and worried about the filth in the water there (dead cows etc) all be it the prop took the dash out on x pole

• Gold FFM
Sat 6th Oct @ 1700

Shame, tuned in at 5pm to find GP2 on. Looked in the TV guide - missed it by 30 mins (4.30pm)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Shame, tuned in at 5pm to find GP2 on. Looked in the TV guide - missed it by 30 mins (4.30pm)

They re crap.........Itv seem to miss the slots, will send you the dvd when it arrives Ian :D

• Gold FFM
They re crap.........Itv seem to miss the slots, will send you the dvd when it arrives Ian :D

:yes Nice one. Thanks Tony