Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Supercharger troubles - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Supercharger troubles

Danni

Hello forum mates,

my Evora S SR MY 2013, started to emitt a bad noise from the supercharger. It is not so loud yet, but it is clear that there is something wrong inside. The Lotus mechanic told me that the revision of a supercharger it would costs at least 3/4k and that only in US could be done. Did someone have the same problem? Do you have any suggestions or usefulinformation to give me on this?? 

Thank you... 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the noise?

I thought i had an issue with my charger but it turned out to be a combination of an alternator (bearing blown) and the belt itself - which had become stiff. So i had a "whirr" audible at idle, that rose in pitch when the revs were raised (but the noise tended to get drowned out by all the other normal mechanical noise at higher revs).

Edited by mik

Hmmm - nothing serviceable that i am aware of. It is a Harrop TVS1320 - you might be able to get a second hand unit from someone that has upgraded to a TVS1900? (May be worth speaking with SSC ? )

Or maybe just use it as an excuse to upgrade yourself. 😉

41 minutes ago, Bruss said:

There was a harrop for sale on the other forum. From a V6 exige I think. 

Harrop 1320 with 22k miles use. 1500.00 being asked.

Is it in US? 

1 hour ago, mik said:

Hmmm - nothing serviceable that i am aware of. It is a Harrop TVS1320 - you might be able to get a second hand unit from someone that has upgraded to a TVS1900? (May be worth speaking with SSC ? )

Jesus Christ!!! 7000$?? 😢😢😢

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

What's the mileage?

17000lm which would be less mileage 10563,31

1 hour ago, mik said:

Do you know how much the original does it cost? 

1 hour ago, Bruss said:

There was a harrop for sale on the other forum. From a V6 exige I think. 

Harrop 1320 with 22k miles use. 1500.00 being asked.

Do you have a point of contact for this? 

6 minutes ago, mik said:

@Danni - to be fair, yoj do get around 450bhp for your money if you go for a TVS1900. 

I dont know how much a new TVS1320 sells for.

I don't want to change the engine originality and reliability.... 

1 hour ago, mik said:

@Danni - to be fair, yoj do get around 450bhp for your money if you go for a TVS1900. 

I dont know how much a new TVS1320 sells for.

450bhp :shock: as an owner of said upgrade, I very much doubt it is that high. Or are you referring to the chargecooled version?

Anyway, as a result of my upgrade I may be willing to part with my oem supercharger :)

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, Danni said:

Hello forum mates,

my Evora S SR MY 2013, started to emitt a bad noise from the supercharger. It is not so loud yet, but it is clear that there is something wrong inside. The Lotus mechanic told me that the revision of a supercharger it would costs at least 3/4k and that only in US could be done. Did someone have the same problem? Do you have any suggestions or usefulinformation to give me on this?? 

Thank you... 

I hate to say it, but it would not have to go back to the US to be repaired. These things are a two lobe air compressor. Any decent mechanical fitter with the correct manual would be able to overhaul it. I would love to know where some people get their trade qualifications from.

I haven't done a two lobe compressor in thirty years, but would still have no issue being asked to do one now.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Good morning Ramjet, 

Actually this is the same comment I did with the Italian lotus workshop. It seems that there is a problem with the galvanising process of lobes in case it is ruined and is necessary to make it again. In any case it sounds strange to me that there is no one to make it in Italy! May be they have some specific interest.... I don't know....