Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sat Nav - Should I? - Page 2 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sat Nav - Should I?

arbell9

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw another option into the mix, I use the RoadAngel Navigator6000. Overall, it's been excellent and I certainly wouldn't go far from home without it. Like all of the others though, it's not without its quirks.

Most of the pros and cons probably apply to all satnavs. Certainly, when I've commented on its quirks to people with Tomtoms, they've also had similar experiences.

Pros:

* Gets you where you want to go.

* Accurate speed camera database.

* Quickly recalculates routes if you miss a turn, hit a diversion, or choose to ignore its advice if it tries to take you via shortcuts that are impractical in the Esprit.

* Telling it to ignore motorways is a brilliant way to find new hooning roads that you'd never have discovered by yourself.

* Has saved my bacon a few times by finding a petrol station in the middle of nowhere (a pity it doesn't tell you what brand).

* Functions as an accurate speedo (just as well for me as my proper speedo underreads)

* Small size (about the size of a packet of fags)

* Updates are quick and can be done as often as you like

* Knowing that you'll be able to get back on track, you can have fun ignoring it if you find yourself on a particularly good hooning road that's just too nice to turn off!

* The map is an excellent guide when hooning, to give you warning of upcoming bends and hidden junctions.

* Doesn't need to be plugged in, so you can use it when hiking.

Cons:

* Doesn't have all of the road priorities correct, so it sometimes tells you to turn right when the road you're on already goes to the right (you quickly get used to this).

* If you miss a turn and there's no quick way back onto the correct route, it tries to get you back to where you deviated. Twice it has taken me a mile or so via several roundabouts, then suddenly told me to do a U-turn, where it was impossible in the Esprit, instead of just getting me to go right round the 1st roundabout.

* You can only tell it to ignore motorways, toll roads and ferries. I'd like to also be able tell it to ignore single track roads, housing estates, roads with speed humps and roads with cameras.

* When you tell it to ignore a particular type of road, it absolutely refuses to take you on them, even if it means driving miles out of your way. It would be better if you could tell it to prefer A/B roads, but to allow motorways where there's no sensible alternative.

* Despite regular updates, some of the maps are out of date, so e.g. roundabouts appear when you don't expect them, or an extra exit has appeared on a roundabout so that "take the second exit" should be "take the third...". If you look at the map, it's usually fairly obvious which way you're meant to go.

* If a series of turnings follow in quick succession, it sometimes doesn't give you enough warning. Again, it pays to look at the map.

* Camera alerts take priority over navigation instructions, so you can sometimes miss a turn if it's near a camera.

* If you set the camera warning distance too high, it gives warnings for cameras on roads that are in the vicinity, but not actually en route.

* If you try to set up a route while indoors, it takes a while trying to get its current position before it gives up and lets you carry on anyway.

* It's not the best thought out user interface, so it can take a while getting to know how to access all of the features.

General satnav observations:

I've never been lost so much since I got mine. That's not to say the satnav was lost, just that I'd no idea where I was or how I got there. Before I got it, I'd build up a list of placenames in my head, such as "follow signs for Nantwich, then head for Shrewsbury, then Hereford etc." Now, I just leave it to the satnav, I've no idea which route it has planned for me. (To be fair, it is possible to preview the route, so it's my own fault really)

If you only enter a postcode as the destination, you might not be taken as close to your destination as you'd expect if there are lots of addresses with the same postcode.

More speed, less haste

You can only tell it to ignore motorways, toll roads and ferries. I'd like to also be able tell it to ignore single track roads, housing estates, roads with speed humps and roads with cameras.

come on phil :) you do actually want to go somewhere :)

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a Harmon-Kardon CD/NAV deck in my Porsche, which I loved. It didnt have a map display but did have voice prompts. I found it to be quite nice.

For my Esprit, I went with the JVC KD-NX5000. This looks like a pretty sweet unit. 3.5" map display, MP3, Sirrius/XM ready, Ipod capable, Bluetooth capable, 40 Gig hard drive for tunes, reverse cam ready and plays DVDs if you are into doing that in your car. Its kinda pricey at about $1000 US retail, but can be found for closer to $600 US.

I am in the middle of installing it right now and will let everyone klnow how it works out.

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

thanks for thanks for the input into the decision. In the end after trawlling the internet for reviews, prices, spec etc etc and re-reading this thread, I went for a Navman F30 GB with Traffic from Dixons online line retailer (turned out to be cheapest) for

yep kelly got me the f20 and shes getting me the traffic addon piece this month as they didnt have it in stock at the time. very good satnav. i like the petrol button, whereever you are press it and it gets you to the closest one

One of the advantages of a factory fitted sat nav :thumbsup: . The sat nav in my astra is factory fitted and when the onboard computer says there is only 31 miles left it pops up a message and asks if you want directions to the nearest petrol station. :rtfm:

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

For some driver they need to develop that fuel warning system further.

Have it detect the fuel being put in the tank and shout out in aloud voice Stop putting diesel in a petrol car, or vice versa.

Andy

I still have no sat nav. I too am a gadget person, but noticed since getting a mobile phone I have become mentally lazy. I usually print a rough route and learn the key points.

I get refered to as ed ed, because during the early 80's my father fitted virtually every bubblegum vending machine in the UK, during summer I would get up early to spend the day with him and be his navigator......

As to the speed camera locations......... Here's a little tip............... Don't speed (yeah right)! or keep a vehicle infront of you but dont tailgate, you will normally find someone in a golf GTi who is happy to sit at 90mph + in front off you on the motorway.

I have found that on both occasions I have driven the esprit on the motorway I sat at about 75mph and enjoyed the attention of the overtaking drivers... :thumbsup::rtfm::)