Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Forum Wiki - Forum Info & Help - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Forum Wiki

Bibs

Poll  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do we want one?

There is some software available that we can use to make our very own Lotus Esprit Wikipedia. Would that be of interest?

Lemme know and if it's a popular addition, I'll get it done :whistle:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we not just create one in wikipedia??

Or do you mean a Lotus esprit Encyclopedia, made and edited by all of us for us??

Alex

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Wiki?

would this be used for creating a data base of symptom / cause / rectification for car faults?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Guest Troy Halliday

Yes it would be used as a reference to everything Esprit the same as Wikipedia. Anything can be entered from Esprit history to Esprit technical.

I for one think it could be a great source of help.

This is a great idea, all the servicing tips , tricks, mods, cleaning, tech bits oucld go in with associated links. Even simple things like my stereo change could go in with useful info.

Like the idea.

Alex

I like the idea of having a technical repository for "how-to's" though there are many scattered about the internet landscape, I spend the most time here. Maybe a collaboration with LEW? How about a registry? Getting production numbers and specs from Lotus a la Frank at SportsCarWorld and allow members to fill in known or personal info, known scrapped, etc. Over 3k members here, if everyone had/has/knew about an Esprit, that's about a third of total production! (heck, (the other) TonyK has 3!) Again, main competition may be LEW. Kato?

Cheers,

Eric

Instead of investing a lot of time in another Esprit information source, I say LEW is that source and it would be better to help Kato expand his site.

Or else all the information is scattered around numerous sites.

The idea is to use the wiki to highlight threads on here with solutions to common, or uncommon problems.

There is an awful lot of info on LEW but there is also a lot of info on here, and the wiki is to catalogue it. If LEW were to do this, it would just become a copy of the forum with threads being formatted and directly translated over to there. We have over 3,000 technical threads on here, would be nice to catagorise them and have then easy to find.

Also, we may have 10-20 new technicals solutions a day posted on here and I doubt if LEW could keep up with that many new pages on an ongoing basis, hence the wiki.

Yeah, a wiki sounds like a good idea. As mentioned, it would be good to have a categorised way of looking for the technical articles - searching works, but it would be nice if it was in groups.

It feels like both a Wiki and LEW have their place, LEW would remain the excellent source of general Esprit info and more in depth technical "articles" that it currently is. Whereas the wiki would provide a place for the more informal technical information and findings from other users that while extremely useful, do not justify an entire article - by keeping it lightweight and easy to update (in the same vein as the forum) it will remain updated and relevant.

Just my 0.02p

Ben

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

We have over 3,000 technical threads on here, would be nice to catagorise them and have then easy to find.

This would be a very good idea...

I have also categorised my "Restoration Website" according to the Lotus Workshop Manual.

It would be great to have all the technical forum informations sorted, so that it could be found easily. :o

But I know from experience, that this is hard work to do ... :whistle:

'76 Lotus Esprit S1 - Monaco White ...

The nice thing about forums is that everyone helps. You can add stuff to the wiki, edit it and do stuff yourself so between all of us I'm sure it won't be too much to do :whistle:

The idea is to use the wiki to highlight threads on here with solutions to common, or uncommon problems.

There is an awful lot of info on LEW but there is also a lot of info on here, and the wiki is to catalogue it. If LEW were to do this, it would just become a copy of the forum with threads being formatted and directly translated over to there. We have over 3,000 technical threads on here, would be nice to catagorise them and have then easy to find.

Also, we may have 10-20 new technicals solutions a day posted on here and I doubt if LEW could keep up with that many new pages on an ongoing basis, hence the wiki.

Great idea !

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Love the idea. :)

I assume the idea is that eventually a wiki article would contain a distillation from the original thread(s) rather than just links to the threads (although that could be the way they start out). I think it would be best for images to be hosted locally so that we don't need to rely on image hosting sites keeping them available.

I was talking to Brian Angus at Oxford about the forum, and he was saying that although he reads the forum every day, he won't post to the forum for fear of appearing to dominate the discussions. Perhaps the wiki, being a more static entity, where accuracy is more important, would be a place where we can encourage Lotus employees to discreetly correct some of our misinformed ramblings.

Finally, if each member had a page, it could replace the late, lamented garage. Bibsy, if you'd like me to knock up a program to convert the old garage pages to wiki format, drop me a line.

Phil

More speed, less haste

• Gold FFM
The nice thing about forums is that everyone helps. You can add stuff to the wiki, edit it and do stuff yourself so between all of us I'm sure it won't be too much to do :)

Yep, like this idea. I'm sure we'd all do our bit.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Go for it Bibs!

I raised this on another forum and got shot down by the IT mafia, but it seems to me to be an ideal way of capturing and maintaining authorititive information, providing an easy search/navigation facility and sharing the burden of data entry. How many times have you looked for information and can't find it or find duff information? How many times do people ask the same questions because the search facility is crap?

Over on Seloc, there is the start of a Lotus Wiki and there is even some Esprit information in it, although none for the M100 yet. It's a long time since I looked at it and it seems to have come on really well.

I've just done some Googling and have unearthed a fledgling M100 Wiki :realmad: nothing to do with me, honest! :devil:

Geoff

Geoff Smith

LotusElanCentral.com and BOLLECKS† founder

[†Bristol and Outlying Lands Lotus Elan Central Knowledge and Support]

I've just done some Googling and have unearthed a fledgling M100 Wiki :realmad: nothing to do with me, honest! :devil:

Geoff

You wouldn't know how to use it as well would you Geoff ( being an IT buff)? -_-

Dave.

You wouldn't know how to use it as well would you Geoff ( being an IT buff)? :devil:

:realmad:

Geoff Smith

LotusElanCentral.com and BOLLECKS† founder

[†Bristol and Outlying Lands Lotus Elan Central Knowledge and Support]

The software is installed for testing at the mo, please have a look at the Wiki link up there at the top right.

or here

http://www.glcforum.com/esprit/forums/inde...?autocom=ibwiki

Do we want sub-categories ie brakes, bodywork, engine etc?

Ta. It's been so long since I sat in mine I forgot about those bits! :realmad:

Please also see this

^ I've disabled that feature as as James has suggested, it won't work that way around. In the article, the thread will be linked so we know where to look and hopefully he who edits the article will include the relevant info from the thread in there, which with the link will contain everything pertinent to the subject.

I've also added redirect links into each technical room for easy access :devil: