Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
350 tweaks and mods - Page 6 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

350 tweaks and mods

MrP_

21 minutes ago, alias23 said:

@MrP_ awesome work buddy! Love the routing work... the paintings a real ball ache isn't it! Takes ages and soo much paint to get a nice smooth finish which doesn't show the grain.

If you've found a short cut on the painting let me know :)

Cheers mate, completely agree on hiding the grain! Without doubt that took the time.
Shortcut wise, erm not really it’s a bloody slow process that eats paint 😂 Closest to a short cut I’ve found is plenty of spray putty, wet sand it back then epoxy and flat that before spraying. Sprayer then had a simple job, but didn’t save me much time. It’s  a thankless task however you do it!

1 hour ago, MrP_ said:

Cheers mate, completely agree on hiding the grain! Without doubt that took the time.
Shortcut wise, erm not really it’s a bloody slow process that eats paint 😂 Closest to a short cut I’ve found is plenty of spray putty, wet sand it back then epoxy and flat that before spraying. Sprayer then had a simple job, but didn’t save me much time. It’s  a thankless task however you do it!

Hear the pain buddy... it cracks me up when folks just say ‘it’s just wood’... we’ll not entirely as it seems to take days to get painted right. Great job really impressive

• Thanks 1

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Hear the pain buddy... it cracks me up when folks just say ‘it’s just wood’... we’ll not entirely as it seems to take days to get painted right. Great job really impressive

Should give people some idea if they don't see where the cost goes making 'em. And if anyones in the market for one, it's far easier to got the @alias23 version especially as its much cheaper than the alternatives - unless you really want to play around making your own :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Bibs said:

@Joseph Antabi

Are you serious?! You quoted the worlds longest post to ask what tape he used? 

Read this and pay attention to it please...

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/109591-quoting-posts/  

Excuse me, I didn't know what was going to happen, is there a way to erase it?

• Like 1

So anyway, quote politics aside... 

@Joseph Antabi Tape is 3m 9088, I use 12mm wide but it’s in various sizes it just works for that particular trim.

For refixing the 380/430 lip, the 19mm works well.

I buy from RS components in the UK, as there are so many fakes of 3M products out there and RS only sell genuine stuff even if you can save a few pence elsewhere.

VHB is also suitable, but it’s 2mm thick so I prefer not to use it. But many have and it works well

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Excellent choice on the exhaust!

It was my very first mod to the car as well when I got it: full 380 exhaust top to bottom, couldn’t be happier.

I just personally didn’t like the de-catted Larini system but I’m sure there are people out there who do, so to each his own.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Other updates....  

I liked the look of the GRP rear lights.  I know the later Exige models had a smaller reverse light, but i like the dual lights on each side.

Before:

A8BAFE28-931E-4619-BEED-3AAA3FB1DCF7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.04a92a40a3645ed8da3864e79b591bd6.jpeg

After

6783190B-03B6-4BC2-9070-F5F3D7C27793_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.46da9b4716796efec7f2caad50c8b9f9.jpeg

Brake lights:

76E3C8E4-9A0B-4C87-A33D-366A35B11157_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cc446b4232b2e34edf5c2b8eb9fd32ce.jpeg

(Sorry the car was a little dirty!)

• Like 2

The wing mirrors on the Exige/Elise have always bothered me... just felt like such a shame that Lotus put such horrible looking mirrors on a car with baby supercar looks!

So I also changed them over to the nicer looking ones that some others have done.  A friend managed to help me source some carbon stalks (rather than the aluminium ones which save a bit of weight too!

Before:

88A441DA-AABC-4D85-84AE-5A14B881FEC8.heic

Edited by GoldenGun

I think that's a great set of mods, nicely done.

And for the record, I agree about the rear lights being better on the 350. I actually wish my 410 had the twin rear lights like yours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul_D said:

I think that's a great set of mods, nicely done.

And for the record, I agree about the rear lights being better on the 350. I actually wish my 410 had the twin rear lights like yours. 

Thanks @Paul_D.  I've just been trying to keep up the good work that @MrP_ began, so very much in his shadow! 

Just now, MrP_ said:

Great work, nice to see her evolving. Really like it without the matte paint 👌

Thank you sir!  Means a lot coming from you, sincerely.

11 hours ago, GoldenGun said:

The final touch was to paint the windscreen surround.  Luckily, @GFWilliams put me in touch with a fantastic painter (KSD) who was able to research how best to prime the plastic surround in order to ensure adhesion by the paint.

I'm super happy with the result and the car now looks perfect (IMHO!).

Love all the changes you've made! 

In regards to painting the windscreen surround, was that done while on the car? (not sure if it is even removable). I'm getting my roof painted (body colour) soon and you've now got me thinking about doing the surround while I'm at it.

3 hours ago, JANG said:

Love all the changes you've made! 

In regards to painting the windscreen surround, was that done while on the car? (not sure if it is even removable). I'm getting my roof painted (body colour) soon and you've now got me thinking about doing the surround while I'm at it.

Yes, it was done without removing it, and it has come out looking great.  I am based in Surrey in case you’re close by and want to have a look.  

Wow, have no clue that it's possible to paint the windscreen surround plastics. Looks epic, wanted 😀

Is it really that complicated to remove that part? I guess it's easier to paint the removed part, but should not flex it too much when putting it back (because color cracks)?