Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
350 tweaks and mods - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

350 tweaks and mods

MrP_

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
21 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Great first write up! Looking forward to reading more! Excellent effort with the exhaust looks brand new.

There’s plenty more just got to find the pics... I know the exhaust was a waste of time as no one sees it, but it kept me from arguing on the non stop conf calls!

Very nice thread, gotten so much done!
My thread looks rather sad and sorry for itself, but I just haven't done anything worth adding.

Very lovely specced car, and paintwork is like glass. Wish mine looked half as good - but one day I'll get round to having someone correct it.

Are you going for the Cup style front splitter? Eltech are now making "custom" splitters - you might have seen - like the older style 350 splitter, with the newer style winglets on the side. Matteo also offered to make it in "Cup" length, so 5cm rather than 3cm I believe. Give them a message if you're interested :) 

Also, the exhaust was worth cleaning/polishing. I get shit for cleaning mine, but it really adds a lot to the look of the car! 

• Thanks 1

Great write up and love the work to date.

id love to do a build thread but sadly mine would read, I paid x to do y, and repeat!

amazing job on the exhaust, I bet that comforted the ocd voices, literally looks like new. 

Look forward to seeing the next phases take shape. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

Very nice thread, gotten so much done!
My thread looks rather sad and sorry for itself, but I just haven't done anything worth adding.

Very lovely specced car, and paintwork is like glass. Wish mine looked half as good - but one day I'll get round to having someone correct it.

Are you going for the Cup style front splitter? Eltech are now making "custom" splitters - you might have seen - like the older style 350 splitter, with the newer style winglets on the side. Matteo also offered to make it in "Cup" length, so 5cm rather than 3cm I believe. Give them a message if you're interested :) 

It’s retrospective at the moment, been doing various things over the winter so trying to catch up. 

Splitter update next...

11 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

Great write up and love the work to date.

id love to do a build thread but sadly mine would read, I paid x to do y, and repeat!

amazing job on the exhaust, I bet that comforted the ocd voices, literally looks like new. 

Look forward to seeing the next phases take shape. 

It’s getting there, plenty more to come. 

Several jobs I’ve done would have been far easier to outsource, but the changes are a hobby in itself and part of the reason I came back to Lotus 😀

Got to say, I absolutely love your spec!  Engine bay looks great too with carbon covers, just need a badge from @alias23 to finish it off ;)

Edit to add, I think the Komo-tec wing is the nicest looking wing. Interesting that you post a link to the wind tunnel testing blog post, they talk about it being boot mounted, but the pictures look like their chassis mounted wing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Got to say, I absolutely love your spec!  Engine bay looks great too with carbon covers, just need a badge from @alias23 to finish it off ;)

Edit to add, I think the Komo-tec wing is the nicest looking wing. Interesting that you post a link to the wind tunnel testing blog post, they talk about it being boot mounted, but the pictures look like their chassis mounted wing.

Don’t worry plaque ordered 😃

If I’m honest I wasn’t too swayed by the wind tunnel tests, but was encouraged they’d actually looked into it. It does look nice though 😎

• Like 2

So onto the splitter. Never having really liked the front splitter with all it's waves, and looking a bit weedy. I looked out for another splitter. I wanted it to be deeper, but I couldn't go full CUP R depth as I have a hump at the bottom of a small hill coming into my house which limits the car thanks to the long overhang already there.

I was going to make get a custom splitter made, but as I was ordering the rear wing enquired with Komotec if they had anything. Just by luck that week they were adding a slightly shorter splitter that looked and performed much better than the standard splitter, but was 2cm shorter than the Cup R dimensions.

2211-019frontsplitterexigev6kt-versionsh

Again after a very long after ordering wait it finally arrived. It comes with Cup R splitter infills which need riveting on. So if you don't have rivets and a gun, you'll need to get out and shopping. All mounted up it looks a bit like this

1zCQXJR.jpg

One of the few features I wanted to get from the 380 was the rubber lip. First to protect the splitter in the event of a speed bump (likely as I return home), it should help the splitter work better, and most importantly it looks far, far better. So after way too much googling for rubber angles, rubber extrusions and various other variations, I settled on this:

l-solid-rubber-profile-25-25mm_600x1000_

This is then mounted onto the underside with mesh tape to hold it in place, and screws every 10cm or so. I could pick the splitter up by the tape alone, adding the screws meant it would take a bit more abuse in the wet, between the two it should be fine etc

Y36TwF7.jpg

In theory it mounts to standard mounting holes, but if you have see the standard mount points they are just spire clips into the GRP - the added pressure from the splitter means these easily get ripped through, but I ordered a strengthening plate after speaking to Komotec. who advised the clam would be put under strain on track.

The strengthening plate was two pieces of metal you bolt into. Again I had to modify this as it didn't fit correctly. As before it was modifiable and as I'm generally working away, Komotec are never in the office when I am with the car so just cracked on.

After recutting splitter was trial fitted, and it all worked. But I didn't like how much it had been hacked up so after coming back to it I went to a local sheet metal shop and got another cut that looked far neater

jvroAfO.jpg

uasXs1J.jpg

mqaTrNx.jpg

Then remounted with s/s bolts

2xZJYSC.jpg

u68FF9y.jpg

WnBHjQd.jpg

Looks much better than standard so happy with that

Also changed the badging to yellow as it was the only bit of red on it

BGSo7mZ.jpg

• Like 1

We have matching lips ;) Just a slight word of warning, I used screws as you may know, but after an off at Anglesey where the lip was trailing on return back to the pits with lots of screws sticking out, I decided to go back to just super strength double sided tape which has been fine... even down Hangar Straight at Silverstone!

The Komotec splitter looks really good, I was planning to release something in a months time with a similar design, using my own CupR splitter as the template. Debating weather to make in carbon or marine wood... 🤔

Excellent work @MrP_ the car is truly becoming its own!

• Thanks 1

www.alias23.com

5 minutes ago, alias23 said:

We have matching lips ;) Just a slight word of warning, I used screws as you may know, but after an off at Anglesey where the lip was trailing on return back to the pits with lots of screws sticking out, I decided to go back to just super strength double sided tape which has been fine... even down Hangar Straight at Silverstone!

The Komotec splitter looks really good, I was planning to release something in a months time with a similar design, using my own CupR splitter as the template. Debating weather to make in carbon or marine wood... 🤔

Fair enough, might change it then - didn't fancy the lip being pulled off so the screws can be easily removed. 

The sensible thing for creating a splitter is marine wood, but carbon does just look good so it's never going to be a simple choice!

Edit - just looked back at your thread, yep we do appear to have the same lip - would have saved me a bunch of searching if I'd remembered yours. At least the minimum length you have to buy means I have a spare 😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

really like the black filler cap - where did you get the surround from?

Had a spare one anodised, but you you can get them from Elise Shop: https://www.elise-shop.com/black-fuel-filler-surround-elise-s2-exige-s2-p-502065.html or Elise Parts: https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/16/66/s2-black-fuel-cap-surround/

Black bolts here: https://www.carbolts.co.uk/products/black-stainless-steel-socket-countersunk?variant=9204034883 You need M5 Countersunk 25mm

• Thanks 1

What a brilliant thread 👍

as your close to me can you do my reversing camera 😂

keep it up!!!

cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

What a brilliant thread 👍

as your close to me can you do my reversing camera 😂

keep it up!!!

cheers

Mark

Happy to help if you want, it's pretty easy once you get used to it, I've just done it all again to improve the cable routes 😂

5 minutes ago, MrP_ said:

Happy to help if you want, it's pretty easy once you get used to it, I've just done it all again to improve the cable routes 😂

OOOoohhhh.... might take you up on that in summer 👍👍👍

On 18/02/2019 at 13:41, alias23 said:

Hi Imran,

what tape did you use for the splitter? I would like to add a rubber lip but didn’t fancy using screws as don’t think it would work on the standard splitter ...

3 hours ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Hi Imran,

what tape did you use for the splitter? I would like to add a rubber lip but didn’t fancy using screws as don’t think it would work on the standard splitter ...

The CupR splitter has a flat bottom so reasonable contact area. The standard splitter may not be flat and hence may not have such a good contact area. 

I used 3M VHB Tape.

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

The CupR splitter has a flat bottom so reasonable contact area. The standard splitter may not be flat and hence may not have such a good contact area. 

I used 3M VHB Tape.

Standard splitter has a flat area, but a lip, so you you will get a stepped effect. If you add a 5mm strip between the metal plate and splitter it will be fine.

I used Kraftex mesh, with 3m adhesion primer, supports picking up the splitter by the lip and much more