Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Norfolk numpty - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk numpty

After all these years playing with cars, I cannot believe I have to own up to this. I'm going to make you read lots and suffer, as I am.

I purchased a Ford Galaxy (that could be a confession in its own right), for reasons beyond my control (need car that 87yr old with bad knee and bad hips can get in plus 94yr old with generally failing mobility can get in at the same time). I was not going to have (as a friend calls it) poverty spec, and I was not going to have a near-gutless thing. So I ended up with a Titanium X 2.2l TDCI Powershift. My brother has a 2.0l, both he and somebody else made the point that the Powershift boxes must have fluid changes frequently (36k).  Here comes the confession.

I purchased 7l of oil and the filter for the box, and having the car slightly raised I removed the undertray and wheel liner then searched for the filter (my logic process says if I cannot get access to the filter then do not drain the fluid), I've watched many Youtube videos of the process, so I'm prepared but nervous (was that 20 seconds in manual control, or 20 seconds in manual control shift up and 20 seconds in manual shift down???).  BUT all is not well, I cannot find the filter, not even the little pipes that should go to it. Even the drain and level plugs look different, perhaps they're not the ones, and I'm failing to notice the correct ones.

SHAZBOT (Younger people may need to search Mork & Mindy). It's beaten me. After a couple of hours, I put the trays and liner back on. 

Today, having just put the current car through it's MOT ready to sell it, I even ask about a price for the garage to do the flush for me, he will get the person to call tomorrow to tell me). This evening, a question forms, What if it's a dry dual-clutch, perhaps it has no filter????? So, Google and I explore this possibility. A Ford owners forum thread is suggested, it's slating Powershift boxes, but part way somebody points out that not all are the Getrag dual-clutch system, some are torque converters. Google & I go off on a possible wild goose chase, I need info of the box mine has, or failing that images of it. A little searching later and there's a familiar sight, the computer controller that's on the top of my transmission, so search for that code, there's an image of a transmission with a f*ing big donut of a torque converter. The ford forum was right, the big diesels have a torque converter box instead of the dual clutch system, no wonder I cannot find the place to replace the filter. No wonder it's less agile away from the lights than my brother's 140 HP one.

Oh yes, one more. I was about ready to purchase the towbar to fit, when I found a strange wheel in the compartment in the boot. I couldn't turn said wheel, but the handbook said its for the towbar.... My friend played with it and found it's an electronically operated fold-away towbar. Nearly another Oops moment of having purchased the towbar unnecessarily.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

And I was already nodding at "Norfolk numpty".

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I fell asleep after "I purchased a Ford Galaxy".

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!