Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Scratching the itch: DB7 Vantage or DB9 - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Scratching the itch: DB7 Vantage or DB9

DB7 looks like a jag and is still expensive to repair if things go wrong , with the DB9 you can be Bond, every time you get behind the wheel,   Well worth the extra money over the db7 imo :) 

• Haha 1

A

On 01/04/2019 at 13:21, tinywillyuk said:

Agreed - its a comfy place to be but corners, meh...  Also always feel I should be in a dinner jacket and bow tie when out in it.

The ticking/pinkling is often the idler pulley.  Mine did the same and a quick and cheap fix and problem gone...  

Apparently the ticking that I heard is due to little end wear and oval liners. Seems to affect a small number of pre 08 DB9 cars. And I've seen some threads about V8 vantages with similar issues. Nothing I can be bothered to deal with. I've only just dodged a bullet having owned a V8 Esprit without incident for 4 years, not in the mood to have to rebuild an Aston V12. I think I might go the Evora route if the DB7 doesn't pan out. Gonna see an Evora on Saturday. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

How did you get on with the Evora?

I was at a car event in my GTE yesterday and there was a 2007 DB9 parked opposite me. The proportions just looked spot on. Sounded terrific too, when he gunned it on the way out. Certainly good value nowadays, maintenance aside.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

How did you get on with the Evora?

I was at a car event in my GTE yesterday and there was a 2007 DB9 parked opposite me. The proportions just looked spot on. Sounded terrific too, when he gunned it on the way out. Certainly good value nowadays, maintenance aside.

It was a thrill to get behind the wheel of a Lotus again, and my first time with an Evora. I was shocked at how civilized the ride was and how quiet it is at speeds. It's quieter than my Mas and that's meant to be a grand tourer (it suffers from a lot of road noise). The second I sat in it and started the engine I thought to myself "hell yes. I want this".

The Evora reminded me a lot of the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, but with softer suspension...and usable torque. I'm not sure whether the NA Evora has enough power for me, but that's probably less it's own failing and more to do with my taste for forced induction and a very wide torque band. I don't like to blow my own trumpet and as such hate revving out engines. I'm not a showoff. I wish it was sprung like the Exige Sport 350 - I've NEVER driven a more comfortable car. That's not a joke. The way Lotus handle damping and suspension is pure art. Where other brands just make you feel like you're driving over rocks, Lotus give you all the handling you need but with more comfort. 

After the Mas and the DB9 the interior build quality (2010 Evora) was a letdown, but this isn't a jab at Lotus. Year on year quality improvements have been very noticeable. I remember trying a 2007 Elise and being shocked and appalled at how much like a VX220 it was (shoddy), but I've driven Elises from 2014, 2016, 2017 and the latter years have been absolutely bang-on. Same for the Exige Sport 350 and 380. Fantastically put together. Evora 400 likewise. 

Maybe there's a noticeable bump in quality in 2012 and up Evoras?

In any case I haven't written off the NA Evora, but at 425 000 SEK it feels like it's perhaps not justified. I don't like to lose money on cars, and you UK peeps are spoiled with a million sub 30 000 pound Evoras, whereas outside of the UK they are VERY pricey and seem to be holding their values. But something tells me the minute I buy it I will lose a huge chunk of money. 

The bottom line however is this: as an overall package, the Evora NA is fantastic. It's got the looks, the ride, the comfort; it's not cheap to insure, it doesn't guzzle fuel. Which is why it's still in the running. 

Worthy mention: while I was at the dealers I had my first run in with an M100 Elan (Turbo). DAMN that thing is low. And good looking. Good value for money, and I might just be picking one up if the Evora thing doesn't pan out. Yes it's FWD but it ticks all the right boxes otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

The new vantage is nice

It’s expensive and as stupid headlights 

On 26/03/2019 at 19:08, Bravo73 said:

‘By some’? Do you mean ‘by DB7 owners’??!? 

The DB7 has virtually nothing to do with the previously manufactured ‘Newport Pagnell’ cars. It has much more to do with Tom Wilkinshaw, Jaguar, Ford and Bloxham. 

Only saying what the market say.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:54, Vanya said:

Worthy mention: while I was at the dealers I had my first run in with an M100 Elan (Turbo). DAMN that thing is low. And good looking. Good value for money, and I might just be picking one up if the Evora thing doesn't pan out. Yes it's FWD but it ticks all the right boxes otherwise. 

I've just bought one. Cracking cars

1 hour ago, Bazza 907 said:

I've just bought one. Cracking cars

A grey/light purple one just showed up down in Malmö with really low miles (31 000) for something like 8000 quid. I'm very tempted...

What do they drive like? How does the turbo perform? Is it like a modern unit where you hardly feel it or is it more old-skool where it kicks in suddenly at higher revs? 

How's the handling? 

How difficult is it’s to export from Sweden to other European countries? t that price there’s should be takers! I did not realise there was such a thing as light purple, makes memes want to check it out.

7 minutes ago, PAR said:

How difficult is it’s to export from Sweden to other European countries? t that price there’s should be takers! I did not realise there was such a thing as light purple, makes memes want to check it out.

I believe it's called Steel Grey. 

Re export: its EXTREMELY easy, all you gotta do is send in the original plates to the DVLA equivalent here together with a document showing it has been registered in another EU country. Simples. Sweden is currently being drained of cars because the krona is so incredibly weak - there's no cheaper place in europe to buy a car. 

Anyone reading this who wants a RHD Esprit Turbo SE, drop med a line :P

There is very very little turbo lag - I could hardly tell it was a turbo. They are very quick to c4000 revs but then really kick on again after that to the red line. Handling is excellent as you'd expect. Mine has huge mileage but is a fabulous little car. It's also steel blue which is clearly the best colour!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, scotty435 said:

It’s expensive and as stupid headlights 

Not too expensive 149k and they are already several discounted in the 130s CPOs...lights are fine. To each its own.

Hi Vanya, I had a DB9 sports pack for a couple of years. It's gone but the Esprit stayed, get the picture?

It looked amazing, the general populace seemed to appreciate it more than the Esprit, i.e. cameraphones came out when you went past! it was also very reliable and beautifully put together, but the negatives outweighed the positives.

• The deliberate noise it makes on startup eventually feels embarrassing, you can't turn it off and it makes you look like an attention seeking saddo when you just want to go to the shops.
  • It handled like a wooden bedstead and was ridiculously stiff and rigid. If there was any suspension at all I never felt it; any Lotus would be all over it.
  • Drank fuel as you would expect a 12 cylinder to do, but the performance never felt much better than my old 07 Jag XJR which gets 30mpg plus on a run and is 1000 times nicer to drive.
  • Passenger and luggage space is ridiculously small for the size car, the passenger side has a foreshortened footwell for some ECU gubbins under the carpet, and eventaully you feel like you are piloting some pontoon with a ridiculously long nose.
  • The push buttons for the auto are annoying, I never got used to them
  • the whole dash is illegible pre-2009 as it was desingned by some woman with an art degree with white legends on a silver background and an illogical switch layout. In fact The DB9 in general is not a good car pre 2010 until the adaptive damping came along and sorted the ride.
  • Second hand prices are in freefall, there is just so much supply vs demand, I foresee the 15 grand DB9 is not far off. Plus as mentioned before they are all afflicted by the British James Bond obsession and so are all dull greys with black and white interiors.

Despite all that I still fancy another Aston!

I always liked the Rapide which is slighly more practical than the 9 and rides much better, however as mentioned ny old XJR does all it does and more for a tenth of the price.

Either that or a DB7 Volante, even foreseeing problems with rust, horrendous AC systems, tight footwells etc. The few I have driven felt like an old classic car which suits me better, the DB9 felt like a poorly equipped soulless modern car. The DB7 feels like a big MGB to go touring around Europe with one arm out the window, which is what I'm after these days.

Having said all that.......an Evora would pee all over either!

• Like 2

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

22 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Hi Vanya, I had a DB9 sports pack for a couple of years. It's gone but the Esprit stayed, get the picture?

It looked amazing, the general populace seemed to appreciate it more than the Esprit, i.e. cameraphones came out when you went past! it was also very reliable and beautifully put together, but the negatives outweighed the positives.

• The deliberate noise it makes on startup eventually feels embarrassing, you can't turn it off and it makes you look like an attention seeking saddo when you just want to go to the shops.
  • It handled like a wooden bedstead and was ridiculously stiff and rigid. If there was any suspension at all I never felt it; any Lotus would be all over it.
  • Drank fuel as you would expect a 12 cylinder to do, but the performance never felt much better than my old 07 Jag XJR which gets 30mpg plus on a run and is 1000 times nicer to drive.
  • Passenger and luggage space is ridiculously small for the size car, the passenger side has a foreshortened footwell for some ECU gubbins under the carpet, and eventaully you feel like you are piloting some pontoon with a ridiculously long nose.
  • The push buttons for the auto are annoying, I never got used to them
  • the whole dash is illegible pre-2009 as it was desingned by some woman with an art degree with white legends on a silver background and an illogical switch layout. In fact The DB9 in general is not a good car pre 2010 until the adaptive damping came along and sorted the ride.
  • Second hand prices are in freefall, there is just so much supply vs demand, I foresee the 15 grand DB9 is not far off. Plus as mentioned before they are all afflicted by the British James Bond obsession and so are all dull greys with black and white interiors.

Despite all that I still fancy another Aston!

I always liked the Rapide which is slighly more practical than the 9 and rides much better, however as mentioned ny old XJR does all it does and more for a tenth of the price.

Either that or a DB7 Volante, even foreseeing problems with rust, horrendous AC systems, tight footwells etc. The few I have driven felt like an old classic car which suits me better, the DB9 felt like a poorly equipped soulless modern car. The DB7 feels like a big MGB to go touring around Europe with one arm out the window, which is what I'm after these days.

Having said all that.......an Evora would pee all over either!

This post cracked me up - especially the comment about the pontoon! 

I agree the performance isn't too far up over an 07 XJR, but it's what, only 56 hp difference? I too am VERY partial to Jags (although I'm a pre-facelift XKR guy at heart). 

I would no doubt be annoyed at the fuel costs. Fuel in Sweden is probably the most expensive in all of Europe and is constantly being jacked higher because...environment/sustainability/veganism or some such hogwash. 

This rules out the DB7 as well. Right now my sights are set on the Evora or Elan M100, just gotta shift the Maserati first. But the Evora is very enticing considering the reasonable running costs and cheap insurance. And those brakes. Omg those brakes. 

I owned a mint DB7 6Cyl and enjoyed it very much from comfort to style, power was okay but nothing like a Turbo car, mine eventually had a crank seal failure which was mega bucks to sort.

M100’s are superb and still represent great value, having owned SE’s, S2 and a N/A I would buy a good SE anytime, please throughly look them over though as corrosion is a big issue in hidden places like the A posts, wishbones and chassis rails. I would put an inspection camera down the inspection grommets if buying. The wishbones rot from inside out and often too late to save and expensive to replace.

I tried a DB9 when I bought the 7 and thought it was a really great car, I prefer the V8 vantage though given the choice.

Good luck with you search and sale of the Maserati (On my bucket list for the future).

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

If you're considering an Evora (instead/as well) then neither a DB7 or DB9 would be comparable. You need to be looking at a good V8 Vantage as it's much closer in design brief to the Evora's role. It won't be as dynamically capable but it will provide an event and an enticing ownership prospect. 

• 1 month later...

Time to update this thread a little. I made the mistake of driving another DB9, which has thrown my internal calibration entirely out of whack. It was a beater with a Sports Pack and low miles. Handles like a pig, massive turning radius and likes corners about as much as an old Corvette. But. PO had fitted the Quicksilver Supersports exhaust. 

It was so obnoxiously loud that I couldn't stop laughing during the entire drive. I've never driven a car with an engine that sounds so good. Period. I've heard engines that sound better (DeTomaso Pantera) but not been behind the wheel.

I'm tempted for the sake of the sound alone. So much car for the money. But insurance is ridiculous. 

Thus, with a heavy heart, I've whittled down the options to an Evora with 10 000 miles on the clock (for 31 000 GBP) (most boring exhaust note on earth by a country mile, no offence to any NA owners here) or an M100 Elan Turbo SE for about 11 000 gbp (38 000 miles and mint condition). 

What shall I buy? 

I recently made a list and arrived at the conclusion that my Turbo SE and the Evora are practically the same car -  similar numbers and use. Except the Evora is modern and quiet inside.

Advice neeedeeed!

NA Evora with 2bular headers and exhaust. Job done. No more advice needed. 😅😂🤣

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
51 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

NA Evora with 2bular headers and exhaust. Job done. No more advice needed. 😅😂🤣

.....apart from adding a cold air intake too, if you can find one. Press the loud pedal and you open the gates of Hell! :shock:

• Love 1

Very nice. Looks in fine fettle indeed. Are those the correct wheels?

The father of one of my friends bought one new in early 1990. It was mighty impressive. My mate had a mint Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9, which was supposed to be the go-kart of the day, but his Dad's Elan SE took it to another level: more grip, more speed, more everything!

52 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Very nice. Looks in fine fettle indeed. Are those the correct wheels?

The father of one of my friends bought one new in early 1990. It was mighty impressive. My mate had a mint Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9, which was supposed to be the go-kart of the day, but his Dad's Elan SE took it to another level: more grip, more speed, more everything!

Not the correct wheels. The current owner bought it off a lady who, when the time came to hand over the car, suddenly felt she had gotten too little money for it and withheld the original wheels :(

Edit: but it's all good because SWMBO can now kerb the daylights out of them and I won't give a damn.