Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Jps Restoration Process - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Jps Restoration Process

Hello,

I might be mistaken, but the master brake cilinder is of a Ford Granada.

There should be electric fans behind the radiator, my 84 Turbo has three of them (originally from a Fiesta MK1)

Regards, Ruud-Peter

• 5 months later...

Hi all!!!

I've been busy the last months trying to get the car's documentation done, as I had some problems finding the originals...

...now that I finally got to solve this, It's time to run in the car for the very first time!!!

Yesterday It took me 10 minutes to get to the end of my first drive, as when I got out the parking (oh my god, two levels with their two ramps before seeing the street!!!) and standing iddle on the street waiting for another friend, ALL and I say ALL the water from the cooling system was just falling into the floor...

...there was nothing wrong at first sight...everything was going off through the tube on top of the cooling water bottle (sorry, I don't know if it has a special name)

...anyone knows why is that? Is it normal? (I would say not) Anyone understands what I mean?

Thanks for any help....

Anyway I have to say, after more than 2 years and a half of restoring process, and after a long long long dreaming time, I felt really special and happy driving it for the first time (even if it was just getting off the parking) ...

Thanks to all of you who helped me (and will still help me) on the process, and well, you know my feelings...you've been all though this process (one way or another)

thx :-)

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

Glad to see that you've got the car going.

When I first got my S2 running it kept pumping the water out of the header tank. In the end I bought a new cap for the tank and that fixed it.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Someone else told me also the cap could be the problem...

...I'll buy a new one, and see if this helps...

I'm loosing a bit of oil too...not much though...should I worry? Is just falling onto the manifold so it burns!!!

pd: Pictures soon :)

Edited by Franky
  • Like 1

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Someone else told me also the cap could be the problem...

...I'll buy a new one, and see if this helps...

I'm loosing a bit of oil too...not much though...should I worry? Is just falling onto the manifold so it burns!!!

pd: Pictures soon :)

Hi Franky,

If it's dripping on the manifold, it's most likely the cam cover for the exhaust cam. These are tricky to seal properly so they don't drip. If the car has been sitting for a while without being run, it may just be a matter of tightening the bolts, so check that. However, they should be not tighter than 4 ft-lbs. If you end up having to re-do it, make sure everything is perfectly dry and clean, use a good sealant on the original fiber gasket (I prefer Mercedes "Surface Sealing"), use good sealing washers around the bolts with a little bit of sealant, give the mating surfaces a final wipe with solvent just before installing, and torque everything incrementally and sequentially like you would a cylinder head. :)

Cheers,

Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Thanks Tony, I'm checking that!!!

I have a new cap, so will try tonight If it works...

...here the only picture I had time to take before going back into the garage (sorry for the resolution, was night light and phone quality)

vKRAbtH11jOzlg5p0PSDpUGlM2S4Ne6v_m.jpg

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Beautiful looking car. Happy for you that you managed the restoration. And envious that you are at the end of your project, while I just started.

And I'm glad the black beauty is going back on the road. All cars need to be used in order to stay in good health.

Good luck further with Lotus ownership.

Not lucky on the second attempt to run the car...

Was OK for the first 30 min, but after that indicators stoped working, as well as headlamps which would stay down even when ON...

...some electric issue I see... so the car is back to garage to see what's going on...

Lots of little more details to be checked, like fuel tank indicator, speedometre, etc...

So it will take a few more days to the car to see the light :X

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Well-done!

These small electrical gremlins will probably be something small, which you'll be able to work out....

Very nice to see another Esprit on the road...can't wait until mine is finished

regards from NL, RP

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!!!

I found an Essex Roof radio console, and I want to fit it to my Esprit... 'cause I found it so cool!!!

Now the question is, How is it fixed to the roof? Anyone has pictures of it installed to see how it should look like? I've been searching on the net, and cannot find any picture showing it!!!!

Help please!!!!!!

:-)

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

I may need as many pictures as possible to fit it...

...so please can you send them to " frankybeli ad yahoo dot es " please???

Thank you very much!!!!!!

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Good to see the progress of your beautiful Lotus.

Since you have been made aware of fire risks with the Lotus (and having a fire in fibreglass car is even worse than having it in a steel version) there is one small concern that you may want to address some time in the future:

The red plastic hose that connects to your clutch slave cylinder. I was made aware of - by a long time Lotus spannering man in England - that when this gets older and "treated" to a lot of engine heat, it gets more brittle (like the petrol hose between the carbs). And when you use the clutch it can crack and spray the engine compartment with hydraulic oil. It's not as flammable as petrol but when sprayed onto hot exhausts and spark providers in the ignition and generator you may find that it catches fire.

The remedy I'm going to use on my project is a steel reinforced hose like the ones used with sports car brakes. Better safe than sorry in my eyes. Would be a pity if all the hard work went up in flames, even if your hose looks new and ready for some service time before going brittle on you.

The spec for the clutch fluid is actually DOT4 brake fluid. It probably works with hydraulic oil too, but the spec (on my S3) says DOT4 brake fluid.

It is probably a good idea to change the hose anyway since it has a tendency to become bigger when hot and hence causing your clutch to "fail".

Bj

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

Hi Everyone!!!

I allready have changed this tube, so no worries about it ;-)

...Have a new question though... where is the Chasis number? (a place where it can be checked for the MOT people!!!)

thx

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

• 2 months later...

Fantastic!, well done.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Still will need some new wing mirrors, as mine are half broken so please if you know anyones...

Also have some problems with handbrake, as rear calippers are new but handbrake does not work (mechanism works fine, but calippers don't react to it)

Enjoying it though!!!!!!!

At least!!!!!

Franky

Lotus Exige S2