Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
worn/damaged bush found - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

worn/damaged bush found

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Probably not a critical fail point in the near term, though likely to degrade connecting bits if left in this state over time. Note misalignment of the through bolt is already evident, therefore asymmetry in the remaining bush material which is temporarily containing a measure of slop. When the remainder is jettisoned then what?

the gear change will improve if you change it (along with all others that will be in a similar state.

On 18/05/2019 at 16:42, esprit22 said:

Kit?

Sorry, I meant to to say buy them as a set from SJ's. My mind was a million miles away when I typed this. 😣

Hmm, just noticed that the pivot pins (22 on diagram) are both shown as being fitted on the same side, where mine are fitted either side, which is correct I wonder..

Have any of you guys replaced any bits on this before? dunno if best to order all the bits in diagram or just bushes

Edited by esprit22
more info

Well, the pins are very smoothly finished to start, for the sake of bushes' longevity. If your pins have long been in service they are likely corroded, pitted on the surface which will diminish the lifespan of subsequent bushes. Wise owner does not skimp on Lotus maintenance, particularly when it's a matter of small change parts.

Cheers 

250504051_Screenshot2019-05-21at9_58_19AM.thumb.png.270fb5bc3884e7930307179df9b6fd31.png

Minimum you'll need is 3 sets of parts no 23 & 24 which is the following from SJ Sportscars

1073633173_Screenshot2019-05-21at9_57_50AM.thumb.png.d1ba61c58e7b92e3bdcabb491080f7fe.png

You may also need part no. 40 if it's worn or sloppy. If not, just dismantle and re-grease. But for just a mere £5, it's probably false economy not to order that at the same time. I believe this is the correct part number for that.

1242542196_Screenshot2019-05-21at10_04_32AM.png.35a0985e78954e9e4860840b20381343.png

Edited by ekwan

Chris, 

do a search in IGUS bearings. Quite a few pple have upgraded throughtout and/ in specific areas to these and seem happy.

definitely worth doing all of them, and even those under the gearstick arent as difficult as you'd maybe think...just a bit fiddly

have fun 😉

3 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Chris, 

do a search in IGUS bearings. Quite a few pple have upgraded throughtout and/ in specific areas to these and seem happy.

definitely worth doing all of them, and even those under the gearstick arent as difficult as you'd maybe think...just a bit fiddly

have fun 😉

Do you need any addition honing work?

I changed all mine on my 86 s3 using the bushes from SJ as above. It does make a big difference, and mine were no where near as bad as yours :)
Easy Job

Thanks for all advice guys, not gonna have time to do before Castle Combe unfortunately, looks to be easier to do from top rather than underneath, did you find that?

Don't think needs honing, as not taken apart yet.

Edited by esprit22
more info

5 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Also worth changing the sleeve bolts too (item 22), they will be worn and corroded and are not expensive.

These are available as M7 or M8 thread, does it matter which ones?

Chris,

I suspect any sort of grease might be counterproductive, if applied in quantities. The plastic parts are inherently self-lubricating on polished steel pins and I wonder whether smears of grease might retain grime and dust, working into the contact surfaces over time. If anything perhaps barely a film of something on the steel to head off corrosion? Let's hear from the wise men in this group!

I believe Eric's query regarding honing was in relation to substituting the IGUS bearings for the OEM kit. Some here have fitted them with interesting results, including a cautionary point or two.

By the way, still have the Classic & Thoroughbred, ca. 1996, which featured your car amongst other fine examples of Esprit and it's a treat to kibbutz after all these years.

1 hour ago, drdoom said:

Chris,

I suspect any sort of grease might be counterproductive, if applied in quantities. The plastic parts are inherently self-lubricating on polished steel pins and I wonder whether smears of grease might retain grime and dust, working into the contact surfaces over time. If anything perhaps barely a film of something on the steel to head off corrosion? Let's hear from the wise men in this group!

I believe Eric's query regarding honing was in relation to substituting the IGUS bearings for the OEM kit. Some here have fitted them with interesting results, including a cautionary point or two.

By the way, still have the Classic & Thoroughbred, ca. 1996, which featured your car amongst other fine examples of Esprit and it's a treat to kibbutz after all these years.

Ah yes, I remember it well. Some tall fella asked me if he could drive my car around the track, I was a tad bothered so said that he could but to take it easy as it was a 'proper car'. He was in fact Tony Dron.

• Like 1

The original bushings work well enough if they are not damaged.  I just replaced all 3 sets on my S3 plus the centre pivot bush. If you aren't racing and the car is a leisure / weekender vehicle, I'd stick to original parts. They are cheap enough to replace, easy to replace and will last for quite a few years.