Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Help! Driveshaft Inner CV Boot Replacement - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Help! Driveshaft Inner CV Boot Replacement

Well, after 7 years of ownership not much surprises me any more, so I wasn't all too pissed earlier today when I made an unpleasant discovery:

I noticed that my inner CV-boot (91 SE, UN1 transmission) was quite tatty with a few holes in it which had sprayed CV-joint grease here and there throughout the engine bay. Being the diligent owner that I am I bought a new boot and figured I'd tackle this while changing my weeping drive shaft seal. 

Popped the spiders off the yokes and discovered that the spider is PEENED ONTO THE DRIVESHAFT (the splines are bashed in three places to ensure the spider stays on the shaft). WTF Lotus. Aren't these usually attached with a simple circlip or something?

I know it's not unusual for automakers to encourage replacement of entire assemblies but Lotus (back when they made the Esprit) seemed to steer clear of this practise. Am I missing something? After all, if one were meant to replace the entire driveshaft, why would Lotus sell the boots separately? 

I am but a simple acolyte. Anyone want to share with me the secret of removing the spider off the shaft splines without removing the entire driveshaft from the car and taking it to a workshop? For now I've cleaned up the boot and refilled it with fresh grease. I'll tape over the holes rather than shell out insane money for a whole driveshaft just for the sake of a rubber boot!

In any case I gotta re-assemble the driveshaft so I can undo the hub nut (if I need to remove the entire shaft later) - for that I'll need both 5th gear AND someone mashing the brake pedal. 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Hello matey.  The spiders can be removed/replaced but it's hassle compared to buying a good quality neoprene boot and stretching it over the spider.   My preferred method!

• Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I would run a mile from them.  They fit poorly, and are brittle where they're glued.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The outer CV joint is fitted with a circlip.

See section FE of the Lotus Service Notes for a complete description of boot replacement procedure.

• Like 2

Esprit Freak

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I would run a mile from them.  They fit poorly, and are brittle where they're glued.

OK for emergencies only then (MOT time). :ermm:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Hello matey.  The spiders can be removed/replaced but it's hassle compared to buying a good quality neoprene boot and stretching it over the spider.   My preferred method!

Cheers sparky. I could try this, and I thought about doing this, but remembered all the times I've attempted it and torn boots etc. I bought a generic replacement from SJ, which maybe won't be too quality, but it's a sue sight cheaper than the 300 GBP or so Lotus charge for the original. 

56 minutes ago, fjmuurling said:

The outer CV joint is fitted with a circlip.

See section FE of the Lotus Service Notes for a complete description of boot replacement procedure.

Thanks for the tip man! So I'd remove the outer CV, and then slide the inner boot all down the shaft (ooh er) to the other end?

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

The inboard CV joint gaiter can be done on its own but you need to press the driveshaft out of the spider because of the staking. The service notes state removing the inboard joint is easier than the outside one!

Yeah I started using a puller but then realized that this is really something to do on a bench. And then I was wondering whether the spider would hold up to having the shaft pressed out (what would give first - the spider or the splines that had been staked)

Edit: ok, after reading the damn manual, I see that this entire procedure is laid out in fantastic detail. Now I feel reeeeaaally stupid. But good to know my overall assessment of the situation wasn't far off (i.e. remove the entire drive shaft, press off the spider etc). I think I'll do that after reassembling everything (so I can loosen the hub nut). I have this strange sensation this adventure will see me removing the hub so I can do the lower links too.....hmmmm....

Got the driveshaft off my SE, piece of cake (I was SHOCKED when the hub nut which was brown with rust, let go after a few seconds with an impact gun). Now the new boot supplied by SJ is like 1-2 cm smaller in diameter than the one I removed. Is this normal (do they stretch with time?) or is it a cock up?

@Sparky, any tips? Or should I just go off to Halfords and get a universal boot and skip the heartache?

1 hour ago, Vanya said:

@Sparky, any tips? Or should I just go off to Halfords and get a universal boot and skip the heartache?

You've got Halfords in Stockholm??? :rofl:

Cheers,

John W

7 minutes ago, jonwat said:

You've got Halfords in Stockholm??? :rofl:

Nah some place called Biltema but same same. 

• Like 1