Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My 380 Sport with TVS1900 - Page 3 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My 380 Sport with TVS1900

Wouldn't get too worked up on the missing code. If you would be on the stock map, you would for sure have the MIL light on, be in limp mode (3 rev limiter lights on at 4k rpm) and have constantly a "running lean" error code... 

53 minutes ago, Kristof Thys said:

Wouldn't get too worked up on the missing code. If you would be on the stock map, you would for sure have the MIL light on, be in limp mode (3 rev limiter lights on at 4k rpm) and have constantly a "running lean" error code... 

Yes it went into limp mode on Friday so I pulled over and turned the engine off. When I restarted it all seemed fine again. Even though it's running ok'ish again now its definitely not 100% right or what it should be considering the mods.

41 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Ben is the main tech at Silverstone. :)

Do you have his surname too? Thanks in advance 👍

Edited by steveoexige

Spoke to Ben at Silverstone (good guy, really helpful) and he says that when the car came into them it wasn't running right and they spent ages going back and forth with SSC in Oz for get an updated ECU map which they unfortunately couldn't install..... hence why I think my car has been left with the OEM Exige 380 map. 

Don't suppose anyone knows if the "Calibration ID" when the ECU is read by Lotus dealers software is a giveaway to show if it's a std or custom map? I'm sure I read someone that Komotech change the Calibration ID to show it's their map but I don't know if SSC do they same??

Steve, So sorry to hear about these issues.  Way to take the gloss off your new purchase.  I hope you get it sorted soon - it sure is a stunning car and will be so much fun when sorted.

1 hour ago, Mattmahope said:

It sounds to me like even more reason to go for the ECU Master Black option with bespoke mapping. That should make the most of the hardwear you are running.

Yes I hear you. Maybe it's just me but I feel I should make the most of the previous owners hard earned spend and get it running as it should be via the original SSC route first. More than anything else I'm desperate to know if the OEM map that's its currently running (if that's indeed what it is) has damaged the engine. It's going into Hoffman's next week for a couple of small warranty claims plus obviously some further investigation into this ECU map issue. Chris has suggested that's whilst it's there they do a quick compression test. Worse case scenario it will be handed back to Sytners for a refund or if it's not totally fecked at least a warranty claim to put any mechanical damage right.

RRR / ECU Master Black will definitely be an option further down the line though.

• Like 1

Lotus will still provide their warranty for the little things I'm already having fixed (tpms and an O ring on the gearbox oil cooler).

I paid Sytners for a 2 year dealer warranty that had no cap on the repair cost. I got them to list the mods on the car as it was when I bought it from them and provide a warranty for the lot.  

Fingers crossed I won't need it!

• Like 1

Hi Steve, sorry to hear of your problems, it was Matthew who I spoke to at Silverstone who gave me the back story on your car (and was the reason I pulled my deposit and bought the 410), my biggest issue was that apparently the factory run the non chargecooled cars rich to provide some cooling, I was unsure whether an aftermarket map would take this into account, with obvious consequences if they didn’t.

Good move getting the extended warranty, I’ve had some dealings with Hoffmans and I’d be surprised if they can’t resolve the issue for you.

Gareth

The OEM maps indeed run the cars super rich (I have seen <10:1 at WOT).

I always wondered on the oil being washed away when running this rich. 

Now, EX430 etc also run a lot leaner than OEM (in fact it's IMHO the only parameter to get more power + some timing) . So I think Lotus is being super conservative on the maps. 

For 200EUR you have a real time AFR gauge to give you the pievmce of mind (or the lack thereof) 😉

Edited by Kristof Thys

4 hours ago, Solstice said:

Hi Steve, sorry to hear of your problems, it was Matthew who I spoke to at Silverstone who gave me the back story on your car (and was the reason I pulled my deposit and bought the 410), my biggest issue was that apparently the factory run the non chargecooled cars rich to provide some cooling, I was unsure whether an aftermarket map would take this into account, with obvious consequences if they didn’t.

Good move getting the extended warranty, I’ve had some dealings with Hoffmans and I’d be surprised if they can’t resolve the issue for you.

Gareth

You don’t need to run it as rich when you have a much larger charger blowing cooler (still un-chargecooled) air in. The SSC map has presumably been designed with the intention of avoiding detonation.

Quick update....I had a reply from Nick Ray at SSC in Oz:

"Q: Should the car be displaying a code on the dashboard on start up? (It is my understanding that SSC mapped Exiges show a code). If so mine is not. A: You are correct. Yes, this means your car is currently running standard unmodified calibration/software. That is not a major issue though in terms of the car being safe to drive without risk to the engine. 

Q: My car is going into Hoffman's next week for investigation. My issue is that it is underperforming bearing in mind the modifications. My concern is that it is somehow running the OEM Lotus map. A: Yes it is running OEM map, but it should still be at least as fast as standard 380. The de-cat will cause fault codes with the OEM software, but those codes should not limit engine performance."

At least I have confirmation that the reason it's not performing as it should is because it's running the OEM map. I'm surprised Nick states that the car should still meet the performance of a standard 380 Sport even with their supercharger kit in combination with the OEM map...........:question:

Aside from SSC I also spoke to the previous owner today and he said he'd forgot to include the handheld reflash device that comes with the SSC kit when he sold the car (!) He's posting it to me over the weekend so I can install the custom SSC map.

Maybe, just maybe, I can get the car running as it should.............. :clap:

Hope you get it sorted, must be very frustrating...

When I had my KT upgrade done I asked about this very thing (back up software) and asked could I have a copy. KT told me they keep the backups, and in the event you need a re-flash you have top contact them. I assumed from this that it is to protect their product. 

Cheers

Mark

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:53, Mattmahope said:

I bet!  I have just heard from RRR that the mapping of my car has gone well.  Should be a significant bump in power, so expect I will need to readjust as well!

Excellent news! Jim from 2bular was telling me about your car. You're a few steps ahead of me but I think we're on similar paths. Have you also got a full 2bular and Imran's air box with a RRR tune? If so, I'd be very interested to hear how it goes...

1 hour ago, Ross Easson said:

Excellent news! Jim from 2bular was telling me about your car. You're a few steps ahead of me but I think we're on similar paths. Have you also got a full 2bular and Imran's air box with a RRR tune? If so, I'd be very interested to hear how it goes...

I have full 2bular with KT carbon air intake and RRR ecu with bespoke map. Will be updating my build thread as soon as I have a chance, but car ran very well all day at Snetterton last week, which was highly pleasing!

• Thanks 1

Good news regarding the original owner having the handheld re-flash device. I came ridiculously close to buying this at Murray’s in Edinburgh when it arrived and can confirm it used to spit 🔥’s. I ultimately didn’t have the balls as couldn’t get a straight answer regarding warranty specifics so held out for the 430 Cup. Fingers crossed it’s back up to crazy performance soon. Brilliant bonkers car.

17 hours ago, Andy Norman said:

Good news regarding the original owner having the handheld re-flash device. I came ridiculously close to buying this at Murray’s in Edinburgh when it arrived and can confirm it used to spit 🔥’s. I ultimately didn’t have the balls as couldn’t get a straight answer regarding warranty specifics so held out for the 430 Cup. Fingers crossed it’s back up to crazy performance soon. Brilliant bonkers car.

Fair play Andy. I'm in that garage 'quite often' as its my local service garage haha. Didn't see your car but it looks awesome as well. 430 must be great. I wonder if the original owner of the car in question was the one who bought that naughty green 430 Cup type 25 from there....I notice its gone 

29 minutes ago, Ross Easson said:

Fair play Andy. I'm in that garage 'quite often' as its my local service garage haha. Didn't see your car but it looks awesome as well. 430 must be great. I wonder if the original owner of the car in question was the one who bought that naughty green 430 Cup type 25 from there....I notice its gone 

Has it gone? Must have happened yesterday as Leven were advertising it on Instagram yesterday for £499/month presumably with a mahoosive deposit and balloon. 

1 minute ago, Andy Norman said:

Has it gone? Must have happened yesterday as Leven were advertising it on Instagram yesterday for £499/month presumably with a mahoosive deposit and balloon. 

I think it was £32k deposit? 

33 minutes ago, Andy Norman said:

Sorry, its still there, my bad. Sure it was gone from their website last time I looked but its on Autotrader! What marketing, £499 a month haha, classic.

Without hijacking the thread any further, I'll say it sounds like this TVS 1900 Exige was an absolute gift for whoever found it. Well done. And you've already owned one so you will know the do's and don'ts this time round if you know what I mean. What pleases me is that you were rewarded for following your instinct by getting back into the scene. I don't think it'll ever be too loud either. If you're struggling to get it on track, join RevLimits facebook page and come to Knockhill for some track nights (think the last one I was at there was the last of the year unfortunately, I could do with swapping the tyres round righ to left to even them out). Its just a good bunch of guys with nice cars and a 2 hour open pit lane. Few laps, let the brakes cool down, back out. No pressure and no official lap times.....ahem... but I've just had a full system 'loud' 2bular fitted to mine and nobody cares. Not on those private events anyway. Officially its 105db if u ask....

On 05/08/2019 at 23:06, Andy Norman said:

Stop it ! the suspense to get it running the right map is killing me :) 

I've hit a brick wall getting the map loaded into the ECU from the handheld device SSC provided with the kit so am speaking to their techs in Oz about a work around. Something tells me I'll have to wait for them to ship me a new unit over....gggggrrrrrrr.