Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
EVORA Weight - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

EVORA Weight

au-yt

Lotus makes lots claims about the weights of the cars and this case the EVORA and especially the 4XX series and after seeing this Video on YouTube by DrPittenstien (see Below) I decided to get a close as possible calculated weight of my 400 2016 build.

I used to local weighbridge at the refuge center (read tip) the vehicle is weighed on the way in and again on the way out. The readings were1520 kgs going in and going out at 1500kgs (don't get me started it depends on where you are positioned on the bridge I was told "yeah right" argument with the council for another day ). Okbsed on the heavier weight of 1520 and taking meout of the equation @ 87Kgs its 1520 - 87 + 45.6 kgs (60litres @ SG of .76) for full fuel its  1478 wet, driving in and 1458 driving out

If I get carried away as I do and take all the weights based on the 1520 weight, - me at 87kgs less 80kgs of fluids, Coolants and fuel (Reference the EVORA workshop manual) = dry weight of 1353. My car has the Sub-woofer Option and Alcantara with stock wheels, one umbrella two hats other odds and ends in the car but I'm ignoring that. Before anyone asked I looked up all the fluids and calculated the weights based on Specific Gravity...

DrPittenstien calculated weight is and as you will see in the text has A/C and sound deadening.

1466402380_EVORA430GTweight.thumb.JPG.ae21f3dd437f54e65431b08f3fbc8db2.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This is what my Evora S used to weigh:

3DF89001-6BDB-4284-ACF3-6D34ECA4C302.jpeg

It was nearly ‘brim full’ with fuel. However, my car is a long way from stock and is probably currently a little bit lighter (the OEM Bilstein suspension has been replaced by a set of Nitrons). 

• Like 1

I used to work for a large company that had it's own weigh bridge.  It was also used by all the local plod to check the weights of what they felt were overloaded lorries coming from the nearby motorway junction.

It was calibrated twice a year, taking around 2 days to do, so my only concern in your instance is whether your weights are accurate.

If it''s a business that is effectively only interested in a weight differential (between loaded and unloaded) then overall accuracy is probably much less of an issue.

That said, clearly all car companies tell Porkies about their car weights.  If you look at magazines like EVO for instance, the loads 'where tested' are all massively over the manufacturers stated weights.

My two weight reference points personally for my Evora are my previous car, a Cayman (981) and current car a Civic Type R (FK2).

The Cayman is stated as 1330kg and the Civic 1378kg.  By comparison the Cayman feels similar in weight to the Evora and the Civic feels heavier!!

I appreciate that's not a technical assessment, but I've previously had a 350z and 370z and you can really feel the weight in those cars.

In the case of the 400, if you take Lotus at their word and allowing for a bit of creative licence, then the 1395kg figure with a full tank could be as much as 1442kg + driver.

16 minutes ago, Bruss said:

My last actual weight on scales was 1424kg with half tank of fuel. Since then I've lost around 50kg with discs, battery and seats. 

So that's close to 1400kg with an empty tank in theory.

I suspect Lotus calculate weights with all fluids and a drizzle of fuel.

I actually feel the figures quoted are relatively close considering how far out I've seen other manufacturers.

• Like 1

Lotus quote a variety of figures across the model range, from no fluids at all to industry standard kerb weight, so direct comparison is difficult unless you read exactly what was weighed for each quoted figure.

2 minutes ago, Simon Bateman said:

If you keep going with all those weight savings, you will need to tether it down in a strong wind!!

Lol

Only one more significant(?) weight saving and that will be lighter forged wheels. I just need to get over to the UK to pick them up and get Hofmanns to redo corner weights and set up for me.  I tinkered with the idea of stripping out some of the interior insulation and stereo but I like my creature comforts too much.

AFAIK Lotus weights have always been dry (ie no fliuds).

We have a 50t weighbridge at work that is calibrated once a year.  Most weighbridges go up in 20kg increments so if your car weighs 1019kg it would only show 1,000kg on the scale. Seeing weights of 1500kg going in and 1520kg going out is there or there abouts...

Lots of things can effect a weighbridge - wind, metal expansion from the heat of sunshine, water sitting on it from rain etc, etc.

If you want a accurate weight then a set of corner scales like above is the only way, you'll not get it on a public weighbridge.

I'd be surprised if the 1395kg weight for a 400 is a fully dry weight.

I think they can be creative with just how 'wet' the car is at a given stated weight, but if it's fully dry then they have to state it as such.

My own view is that 1395kg is with all working fluids and not much more.

Porsche are currently quoting 1355kg DIN for the manual Cayman S, so I can't believe the Evora is 40kg more but completely dry.

In theory the DIN figure is supposed to include 90% of fuel (i think) and then EC includes 75kg for the driver.

When I initially researched the car (being in engineering) I read up on the Evora engine and at a base service weight of 163kg is relatively light for a V6 (certainly was at the time) 

I've noticed the 400 has a kerb weight figure on the US site of 1440kg.

US Curb Weight: 

• Weight of car with fluids and fuel at 100% as well as weight of any option expected to be in more than 33% of vehicles sold.

So calculating fuel at nominally 45kg per tank, this gets us back to 1395kg for a wet weight but with basically no fuel.

12 minutes ago, Bruss said:

The 1395 is quoted as a fully dry weight. I think I could get mine down to 1350-60 fully dry, but the 430 is 1250 iirc.

The brochure I have (for the manual versions) states the following weights:

400 = 1395 kerb weight (dry not stated)

410 = 1299 kerb weight (dry = 1258kg

430 = 1289 kerb weight (dry = 1248kg)

• Like 2

From the 400 service notes.

Weights (including full fuel tank)
Manual 
Transmission 
Unladen* Total 1395 kg 
weight Front 545 kg 
Rear
850 kg 

with passengers and luggage
Maximum Total 1836 kg 
weight Front 679 kg 
Rear
1157 kg 
*Without any options fitted

I think that’s the case solved essentially. It puts my car at 1311kg without fuel vs a factory claim of 1299kg which is lightest possible wet weight without aircon and sound deadening. ‘Lightest possible’ would also suggest no fuel also and possibly when the definition was altered. James Martin’s and others understandable confusion comes from his owner’s manual stating 1395kg with full fuel tank.

The cynics love to repeat that the Evoras are all the same but it’s clear that Lotus have done a good job removing weight from the 430 given it has heavier wheels, tyres, rear wing, front splitter and oil cooler over a 400. A GT430 Sport without the aero parts looks like the purists choice and quite the sleeper. Shame no-one went for them, £104k basic doesn’t look so outrageous now either.

Would love to see some Caymans on the scales, I don’t believe we’ll ever see one coming in at 1355kg.

There is about 35litres/kgs of other fluids listed for the Evora with air con, plus the litres of fuel, so about 95kg of 'wet'.  Dry weight of a 400 should then be 1300kg according to Lotus info.

apologize but off topic ....

Does anybody know what the weight of:

1) Front Bumper 2) Front Clam 3) Rear Calm 4) Rear Trunk Hatch?

I think all combined would weight between 300 - 400 lbs ????

I wish there are "CF Aftermarket Replacement" for 1-3

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

My car weighed 1445kg, with my lightweight seats in it, but with some slightly heavier stereo kit - and a full tank of fuel.

@The Pits is correct I foolishly thought that when Lotus said "1395kg with a full tank of fuel" they meant "1395kg with a full tank of fuel" not "1395 with no fuel at all". (/sarcasm)

At this kind of weight I think 20-25kg out is perfectly acceptable, 50kg for a company who claims "light is right" is not. However, I think we all know where these slightly optimistic numbers came from and I have to applaud the Lotus team for updating their website with more realistic figures and ditching their somewhat disingenuous practice of using a mix of wet and dry weights. The fact is Jonny's 430 IS a genuine 80KG lighter than my old car, and that is impressive considering how well refined the 430s still are, and the extra kit they carry (oil cooler etc as mentioned).

If you want to see some factory numbers which are hilariously inaccurate, look up the modern breed of Astons, or Lamborghinis.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I was thinking Alfa 4C also. I’d like to know what one of them actually weighs. There was so much talk about weight and the lightweight carbon tub when it was released, but all quoted figures were completely dry. 

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me. Quick (not in depth) google showed 940 as quoted and a couple of former weight results around 1094kg. 150kg in a (supposedly) sub tonne car makes Lotus look pretty good.

Edited by DBG

Shame car mags work for car makers not car buyers but they should be keeping them honest. Evo did start weighing cars to their credit, I know options play a big part but some of the discrepancies ‘as tested’ were shocking. Sad reality is though, few buyers care about weight in the SUV age.

I also had a few laps in my car with light fuel load following Trevor’s GT430 lux ;) and sadly for me the weight difference didn’t translate into any discernible straight line advantage. It’s a complex area though as peak mph is power and aero related above a certain speed. My weight advantage will diminish as speeds rise as drag/power overtakes power/weight. There’s a point at which a fast Caterham Seven is slower than an Exige V6 despite quicker acceleration at low speeds. The benefits are still there just too subtle for most to appreciate. There’s probably a bigger benefit to braking performance over acceleration in any event. How many here have used the maximum potential of their 400 brakes? Not many I’d wager so the benefit goes unnoticed. Helps explain why many didn’t appreciate the Sport 410 at the time. GT430 j hooks get much of the credit for exceptional stopping power but weight saving is really contributing there.

• Like 2

Auto design is a compromise and as we know from the added lightness of the 430 is a cost...significant at that. If the tub was carbon the car would cost a lot more and then the price would be close to a  Mclaren.

• Like 1

Is the figure that I read from the USA website (1445kg) more about making sure the numbers are correct in case they got sued?

US Curb Weight: 

• Weight of car with fluids and fuel at 100% as well as weight of any option expected to be in more than 33% of vehicles sold.

Can't believe those deleted seat airbags in the UK Evora's saved 50kg!!

My wife told me a story about when she was in the USA years before we met, having some breakfast when one of the group shook up the ketchup and the lid wasn't on properly......

A couple of people got covered in sauce and just laughed and the only American in the group said 'we should sue these guys for that'.