Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Thinking of buying s1 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Thinking of buying s1

dr_jayhart

On 08/11/2019 at 11:14, dr_jayhart said:

Does anyone know car 343G ?

rhd originally black? Thinking of buying?

J

You obviously didn't buy it as it never met its reserve.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I bid until the end but having talked to the vendor knew his reserve was 27K.

He has a local buyer who will give him close to his reserve.

Had it been cheaper I may have gotten it. However car was in germany and i didn't get to see it so

was nervous about committing, getting it home etc.

Will have to keep ear to ground again.

I was in similar position with both the cars as owned No13 JPS originally. I didn’t know the reserve but estimated £18- 20k bidding knowing the work and cost to finish. £27k is strong to buy blind though. Must enquire about the JPS though.

I am enquiring after my original S1 at present which was given the Turbo look, going to costs loads to reverse as even the interior was fitted out in Turbo form. Any ideas on value? I estimated £10-12k as back needs cutting off and replacing with S1 if I could find one as duck tail fitted unfortunately.

Do or do not, there is no try! 

22 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

I was in similar position with both the cars as owned No13 JPS originally. I didn’t know the reserve but estimated £18- 20k bidding knowing the work and cost to finish. £27k is strong to buy blind though. Must enquire about the JPS though.

I am enquiring after my original S1 at present which was given the Turbo look, going to costs loads to reverse as even the interior was fitted out in Turbo form. Any ideas on value? I estimated £10-12k as back needs cutting off and replacing with S1 if I could find one as duck tail fitted unfortunately.

Whatever blows your skirt up Dave but I wouldn't want to find it if it needs that much doing to it!

Paul you are probably right

Good points -

Great shell with no gel cracks

No Sunroof

Cooling ears only drilled so no holes cut in rear quarters.

Original Gauges fitted

Does run still

Bad points

Wrong wheels

Turbo kit fitted 

Turbo interior

Not used for years and only done 3k since I sold it 25 years ago, no doubt will want extensive overhaul.

Will need rear end repair section, tailgate, skirts, front and rear spoilers, bumpers, Wheels, interior, rear lights and plinths....

Maybe you are right, I offered £10k initially which may be high maybe low? 

Dave :) 

Edited by LOTUSMAN33

@LOTUSMAN33 you may find the simplest things that have been removed from an S1 are the hardest and most costly things to replace. Such as instrumentation, wheels etc. Many other things can be solved with a little money and a lot of effort.

@dr_jayhart as with anything like this, you'll need to do some investigation. You can ask Andy Graham to give you a verbal run down of the car from the VIN, and I'm sure he'll be willing to do so on a limited basis without payment of the certificate etc.

The seller advertised this previously, along with his JPS as stated above. Last time was on Pistonheads in May when I also enquired with the seller. He was reasonably free with information, but wasn't exactly forthcoming enough to lead to a sale. Perhaps this was due to the language barrier (I am from North East England after all ....), or perhaps he simply doesn't have the will or need to try too hard to sell his cars.  He did say that that the running gear had new bushes fitted, and that its VIN is 78020343G, being first registered on 22.08.1978. So probably one of the last S1s manufactured.

He wanted £29,900 then, but it obviously has not sold. I doubt that he has a local seller willing to pay near that. I have found the mainland European sellers to overestimate the value and be inflexible to negotiation of their cars. Perhaps due to a more buoyant domestic market. However, this is RHD car on a LHD continent. It will not sell quickly for that simple reason, regardless of what anyone says. Recent experience of such sales confirm this.

From what I gather he seems reluctant for buyers to view the car. This may be because of above, or that he knows that the quality of the work so far leaves a lot to be desired given the asking price. From close inspection of available photos I assume the latter. It is however unreasonable for a buyer to expect a sale sight unseen, and I would never advise anyone doing so, unless there is documentary provenance available, and a very deep pocket.

Hope this helps any prospective buyer out there. The S1 is a lovely car to drive and own. A true design classic. I have only recently completed a 3 year 'nut and bolt' restoration to the point where I can now drive it on 'shakedown' drives. Having recently completed 800 miles since July. For anyone wishing to get into ownership and rebuilding an S1 my ongoing restoration blog can be viewed on TLF here https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/106541-giugiaro-esprit-s1-full-restoration/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree, thankfully my old car has all its original instruments and I have sourced rear wheels.  SJ do all the body parts other than rear repair section. Bootlid may also be tricky although only need the glass I think as it never had a genuine turbo tailgate. Seats will be very tough to find so that will be a waiting game living with the turbo interior. It was a later S1 in blue originally when I did the previous owner check with the DVLA.

Ideally i will need to sell one of my classic mini’s for the space so going to wait until early spring.

Yes Stephen I sold it to restore a 1967 Works Mini Cooper Mk1, no regrets as the mini’s are lovely cars and own three now, just can’t get that Lotus Esprit addiction under control 😂

I wondered what happened to it Dave as I’ve never seen it pop back up - remember the time well as I was super keen for you to restore it but no you had other family priorities. Good to hear you’re looking to get another Esprit👍

It went to a father and son who were going to restore it together in FYEO style, I did the wheel restoration for them and delivered them later. I must get in contact to see how they are getting on.

Been looking about for a while now but nothing has really grabbed me, I’m in no rush though but think it will be a S1/2 as like the simplicity.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

It went to a father and son who were going to restore it together in FYEO style, I did the wheel restoration for them and delivered them later. I must get in contact to see how they are getting on.

Been looking about for a while now but nothing has really grabbed me, I’m in no rush though but think it will be a S1/2 as like the simplicity.

I can probably sell you a very overpriced S1 :)

The German geezer reckons he's sold it locally to a bloke for 30,000 Euros. No idea if the wind is blowing his tongue around or whether it's genuine.

• Like 1

€30k... 😐

Mind Mark at stocks has a nice white car albeit out of my budget, I don’t think you will sell Paul as too much effort went into it.

The German owned car looked nice but the auction found its current value like my old JPS013 which ended at £20100. 

Not sure how stable the classic market is these days as seen a few bargains recently, Old Esprit’s are scarce this time of year so will wait and may sell my Mk1 Cooper to increase my budget buying a better car although not giving up on my original S1 yet.

I was extremely tempted by the JPS UK sports cars were selling as knew that car and it was really nice.

I am busy with a 1975 mini at present which started as a small project and grew in true mini fashion 🙄

7 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

€30k... 😐

Mind Mark at stocks has a nice white car albeit out of my budget, I don’t think you will sell Paul as too much effort went into it.

The German owned car looked nice but the auction found its current value like my old JPS013 which ended at £20100. 

Not sure how stable the classic market is these days as seen a few bargains recently, Old Esprit’s are scarce this time of year so will wait and may sell my Mk1 Cooper to increase my budget buying a better car although not giving up on my original S1 yet.

I was extremely tempted by the JPS UK sports cars were selling as knew that car and it was really nice.

I am busy with a 1975 mini at present which started as a small project and grew in true mini fashion 🙄

Is your Cooper a genuine 60s Cooper? I might take it in part ex!

I'm thinking of getting rid of both of my cars.

Lol, you can’t sell the e-type Paul

It’s a 1967 Works Cooper Paul in full S spec, I will do some photos. 

My other one is a genuine 1960 Downton mini which I restored for my dad to use and enjoy.

Paul Coleman. Are they both s1’s. as the thread says I’m looking to buy one. Selling my sc Elise to fund. Would you consider selling to me? 

Need a stable mate for my dry sump turbo. 

1 hour ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Lol, you can’t sell the e-type Paul

It’s a 1967 Works Cooper Paul in full S spec, I will do some photos. 

My other one is a genuine 1960 Downton mini which I restored for my dad to use and enjoy.

Haven't touched the e-type in nearly 2 years!!

1 hour ago, dr_jayhart said:

Paul Coleman. Are they both s1’s. as the thread says I’m looking to buy one. Selling my sc Elise to fund. Would you consider selling to me? 

Need a stable mate for my dry sump turbo. 

No I have a 1965 e-type. But I did sell another S1 about a year ago.

Edited by Paul Coleman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
12 hours ago, GasketsGone said:

Only downside is the E-Type probably has to make way, as 5 cars, and Harley, while walking to work, is a bit extravagant. 😬

Pah rubbish keep that e-type. Greta will be proud of you walking - what an inspiration you are.

now stick up some more pics of that white Esprit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

I seem to be buying mine in parts, got the rear wheels and an original centre ashtray along with rear light plinths and lights.

Wonder how long it will take to build a car at this pace.....🙄

• Haha 2