Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 22 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

On 30/12/2020 at 23:13, Bibs said:

While the AIM has a similar screen, you'd have to buy the Motec unit if you wanted to replicate the 3-Eleven! 

https://www.racedatasystems.com/products/motec-c127-race-display-kit-non-logging

That price!

Substantially more expensive that the AIM - do we know why?

Approved for? I believe the 3-11 which ran the C127 from the factory was road legal and other road legal cars have run MoTeC displays so they can be road legal. 

That said, for it to be road legal you have to implement all the correct lamps/indicators and this isn't so quick and easy. I'm running a MoTeC C185 in my S2 Exige as a secondary display as I wanted MoTeC data logging, but am intending to swap to one of their 7" displays next year and replace the standard dash.

This is how my 5" display looks at the moment (image is from the PC config software that allows you to simulate how it looks and behaves before loading it into the dash, hence all zero values and warning lamps illuminated). 

C185.png

Edited by JamesS.
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2021 at 21:54, JamesS. said:

Comparing an AiM dash and a MoTeC dash is a bit like comparing apples and pears. With MoTeC you’re paying for a better quality product, with more powerful graphics, more configurability and far more powerful analysis software.

The AiM kit is aimed at club level racing and lower levels of professional motorsport, plus the aftermarket, whereas whilst MoTeC is now used extensively in the aftermarket, it is also found in high level motorsport. The telemetry option in MoTeC products (and by that I mean real time streaming of data off the car) is extremely powerful and definitely within the top two or three telemetry systems in all of motorsport. 

Thanks for the comprehensive reply James 👍

I've gone one running in my Exige 410, great unit but not without its strange behaviour.

Have noticed it save log files/data in road mode which seems a bit pointless but more so is the integration with the SmartycamHD. It is sort of half baked.

I previously used the Smartycam with a Solo2 DL which would only start recording with customisable triggers (RPM, speed etc) and obviously would only be used at the track. It was a great system.

However the MX2E constantly powers up the Smartycam (not a big deal) and starts recording every time you start driving which is not ideal. I don't want it running as a dashcam (preferably so any street antics are not recorded on video given our overzealous police!). 

It would be nice if Smartycam integration was more user configurable in RaceStudio or at the very least only did auto recording while the dash was in track mode and/or registered a track location.

Is anyone else running this combo ?

On a side note, have noticed the ECU data in Racestudio for both Solo2 and MX2E list gearbox temp but no data. I assume they've jumped the gun and the cars don't actually have a gearbox temp sensor?

On 30/12/2020 at 20:37, stephenwhyte said:

Can someone tell me if this new dash has this display to choose?

FC3886C2-835D-4C07-80F6-C1CE375BC214.jpeg

Very similar to the screen in my VX220!

image.png.ec63c083785d1778758d85e3da2cdd3b.png

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yup, I know that but he had to change it to avoid Lotus copyright issues.

It is one of I think 6 screens (haven't looked for a while) that I can select. The best one being the T-IE fighter heads-up display from Star Wars lol.....

I know it works in the Elise too but not sure if it works in the V6 Exiges, I suspect not.  Sorry, off topic...

On 09/01/2021 at 21:27, NANO said:

Is MoTeC approved, is it legal for road use ?

Within the UK who would "approve it" and how would they do it?  Basically, you need to display speed, warning lamps, lights indicators etc. I don't believe in the UK there is an "approval standard" you need to reach. I may be wrong however.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 12/01/2021 at 17:08, miniwog said:

However the MX2E constantly powers up the Smartycam (not a big deal) and starts recording every time you start driving which is not ideal. I don't want it running as a dashcam (preferably so any street antics are not recorded on video given our overzealous police!). 

It would be nice if Smartycam integration was more user configurable in RaceStudio or at the very least only did auto recording while the dash was in track mode and/or registered a track location.

Is anyone else running this combo ?

I have a SmartyCam and MX2E dash. You can configure the camera "auto start rec" settings in the camera settings menu, I think the default was "logger command" which is probably what you are seeing. You can also set it to a speed or acceleration threshold, or to manual, which is how I have mine set (it only takes one button push to start a recording). I'll probably set it back to one of the auto settings when I go to the track so I don't have to remember to push the button each time out, and then set it back to manual before heading home.

Yes I have it set to logger command, guess I could disable auto record unless at the track. Still be nice if AIM gave an option to link recording option to being in track mode only. First world problems right?

Hello I just mounted my dashboard and the AIM camera on my Exige, but the objects are seen in inverted mode, the objects on the right appear on the left and vice versa, does anyone know how to correct it?, also the airbag light stays on despite to have my Exige equipped with an airbag

Depends on which camera you have, SmartyCam or rear view camera? I'm guessing rear view because you can't see the SmartyCam image on the dash itself. My rear view camera had two small exposed wires, one that could be cut if you didn't want the rear view overlay image (guidance for backing up), the second wire could be cut if you didn't want the image to be reversed. I don't recall the colors of the wires offhand. I cut the first wire but not the second wire because I didn't always want the overlay (and the MX2E dash adds the overlay anyway when the car is stationary or backing up, but not otherwise), and the reversed image simulates looking in a mirror (which is what your camera is doing). What camera did you get, and how are you using it?

Sorry, I can't help with the airbag light, I have an S2 Exige and it doesn't have this issue.

6 hours ago, AustinP said:

Thanks !!  it's the original AIM reverse camera, it's the one in the picture.

We have just tested, if we remove one cable, the guide lines are no longer visible, but when removing the other, nothing happens, the sides are still reversed

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-11 at 11.27.35 AM.jpeg

Edited by Joseph Antabi
  • Like 1

Thank you.

I did that, I cut both and nothing happens, the camera is still inverted, and if I connect the white or green it puts the back lines, it is weird because it seems that both cables do the same

Edited by Joseph Antabi
empty

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

great job, I really like the binnacle like this and it's true you will certainly not have any shiny reflections on the glass. Excellent idea of moving the keys so that the binnacle remains "cleaner" and beautiful to look at.

Congratulations, cheers

I've sure a few AiM owners will be watching this and wondering...'Can I get these screens for my MX2E dash?'

Interesting to see the screens tied in with the current DPM mode, changing as the driver changes mode.

Almost brought a tear to my eye. Have to get my daughters S2 VVC out.

Oh and yeah, the displays look good too...

cheers