Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 26 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

Hi Peeps, how does set the 24 clock hour there is no setting for BST and when I just put it forward or back it reverts back to what ever the default time was, plus has anyone upgraded the tracks database. Cheers

Like others on this thread I'm 6'1" which means the shift lights and indicators are obscured by the steering wheel, I can only imagine the designer at AiM was a shorty. Anyway, with an idea shamelessly stolen from fellow Elise owner Josh Laurence I took my dash out yesterday and dropped it on the mount by around 8mm, it can easily be put back to its original position if required at a later date but I can now see the shift lights and indicators. It does leave a small gap at the top between the binnacle and the AiM unit but I easily filled this using a shaped piece of modelling foam painted black which is hidden by the steering wheel anyway. 

Very pleased with the result and the fact that I no longer have to sink my head into my shoulders to see the whole unit is great.

Edited by Jonathan E
  • Like 2

On 08/05/2021 at 15:41, Jonathan E said:

Like others on this thread I'm 6'1" which means the shift lights and indicators are obscured by the steering wheel, I can only imagine the designer at AiM was a shorty. Anyway, with an idea shamelessly stolen from fellow Elise owner Josh Laurence I took my dash out yesterday and dropped it on the mount by around 8mm, it can easily be put back to its original position if required at a later date but I can now see the shift lights and indicators. It does leave a small gap at the top between the binnacle and the AiM unit but I easily filled this using a shaped piece of modelling foam painted black which is hidden by the steering wheel anyway. 

Very pleased with the result and the fact that I no longer have to sink my head into my shoulders to see the whole unit is great.

Sounds interesting.

How big was the gap that you had to fill? I'm guessing the was a slight overlap as standard so dropping by 8mm wouldn't necessarily create an 8mm gap? 

Yes 8mm, but the piece you use to fill the gap doesn’t have to be that accurate as there is quite a bit of “head room” in the curve of the binnacle... if that makes sense. As I posted above, due to my height the infill piece now sits exactly where the change up lights were behind the top of the steering wheel so I can’t see it anyway👍

5 minutes ago, Jonathan E said:

Yes 8mm, but the piece you use to fill the gap doesn’t have to be that accurate as there is quite a bit of “head room” in the curve of the binnacle... if that makes sense. As I posted above, due to my height the infill piece now sits exactly where the change up lights were behind the top of the steering wheel so I can’t see it anyway👍

Thank you. I may well do something similar when mine arrives. I'm 6 foot, and I'd really like to be able to see the shift lights. 

These pics don’t really do it justice but hopefully they give the general idea. I've got some black acrylic on order which I intend to use in place of the foam now that I've got the required shape. Might even do it in orange to match the interior painted parts🤣

C283AEDE-0B87-418D-B52C-16BC89670CDF.jpeg

03E9EC2C-6619-416B-8869-05106289207C.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan E

Anyway you can pull down the bezel internally to close that gap?

Bit of heat?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

49 minutes ago, Jonathan E said:

These pics don’t really do it justice but hopefully they give the general idea. I've got some black acrylic on order which I intend to use in place of the foam now that I've got the required shape. Might even do it in orange to match the interior painted parts🤣

C283AEDE-0B87-418D-B52C-16BC89670CDF.jpeg

03E9EC2C-6619-416B-8869-05106289207C.jpeg

I understand, it's work in progress 😄 Seeing the indicators and shiftlights is more essential than the looks...

1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

Anyway you can pull down the bezel internally to close that gap?

Bit of heat?

I suspect it would take a lot of heat, and to be honest I wouldn’t really want to mess with the bezel they very expensive if you need to replace them, I also want to be able to return it to its original position should the need arise.

Obviously I haven't seen for myself yet how much the top is blocked, but I wonder if the 'shim the steering wheel up by 10mm' mod might be worth me trying first. 

I considered various options. I looked into replacing the steering wheel with a removable job and possibly increasing the steering boss depth to bring the steering wheel closer, but to be honest I really like the OEM wheel and its distance from me it feels perfect so would have been a shame to lose it. As pointed out above maybe a different wheel and boss would do the trick? I just liked the cheap option 😆

I too like trying cheap first! 

There’s a mod where you move the standard steering wheel up by 10-15mm by adding some washers between the column and the mounting bracket. People have done it previously just to get a better wheel position from what I can gather. 
I suddenly remembered reading about it on here and am now wondering if it would be enough to let me see the shift lights. 

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Even if the steering wheel mod alone isn’t quite enough, you might be able to change to just a 3 or 4mm drop on the unit so the filled in area is less obvious. 

🙂

I had the bezel off today and checked out raising the steering wheel. Its easy enough to do but unless you fit a spacer then your going to have to cut the top bezel plate, therefore it’s a non starter for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted my AIM dash today without any issues. 

Despite being 6ft I can see the shift lights fine. Perhaps I’m long legged and short bodied???

I have unfortunately got the same problem that other people had - if I upload my own configuration for shift lights and displays the ‘MODE’ icon for Normal, Sport & Race now shows Error. Everything else works fine. 

Did anybody ever find a solution to this?

On 23/1/2021 at 0:42, Joseph Antabi said:

Hola.

El mismo problema, ¿alguien lo resolvió?

Today I installed the new version of software version Ver. 02.34.66 and now, I can use the buttons and preferences of the AIM panel with the engine running   and the car stopped