Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Coolant Light ..::::::(((......... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Coolant Light ..::::::(((.........

Dear All friends......

My problems now is with the ENGINE COOLANT LIGHT AND TELL TALE (only after few second of the first one); it before today was intermittent but....

today when the car was stop for few seconds, the engine coolant light go ON but after few second driving car and go in air, the coolant light go OFF....it now do this always!!!!!

Infact for example if I wait on trafic light for few seconds the engine coolant light go ON but when I restart it go OFF as soon in the car go in air!!!!!!!!

I have changed the water sender of the engine coolant but the problem is a other but I think it's a air problem because always the car is to 80

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All friends......

My problems now is with the ENGINE COOLANT LIGHT AND TELL TALE (only after few second of the first one); it before today was intermittent but....

today when the car was stop for few seconds, the engine coolant light go ON but after few second driving car and go in air, the coolant light go OFF....it now do this always!!!!!

Infact for example if I wait on trafic light for few seconds the engine coolant light go ON but when I restart it go OFF as soon in the car go in air!!!!!!!!

I have changed the water sender of the engine coolant but the problem is a other but I think it's a air problem because always the car is to 80

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

thanks Artie, I will check it.....

I have checked the coolant level in the tank at right near the air box and it was perfecty (I have changed also the water sender because I thinked that is was locked).....

I have noted also a tank in the boot at left and the level is low!!!!....so can be this the problem?? I have to add a new coolant in this tank??? why there are 2 tank??........using freescan for see the problem, it showed me error 26........

How coolant I have to add in the boot tank??

Hey dude, someone will help, please have some patience and don't reply to your own topic. Thanks :)

Oh, and the tank at the back left of the boot, by the rear lights is an overflow/expansion tank fitted with a pressure cap with a vent to the floor if there is too much water in the system. It should be filled to mid level.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

thanks bibs sorry for my impacience but not want damage my car expecially for a cooling problem (if this is the problem) !!!! ::))

so the level in this tank is low, I have to add for to mid level....no high....

I hope that is this the problem but I not understand because the light go ON when I stop and when I drive and go in air the light go OFFF.....mah

thanks

thanks bibs sorry for my impacience but not want damage my car expecially for a cooling problem (if this is the problem) !!!! ::))

so the level in this tank is low, I have to add for to mid level....no high....

I hope that is this the problem but I not understand because the light go ON when I stop and when I drive and go in air the light go OFFF.....mah

thanks

Alessandro, just put some distilled water in the tank in the boot. The problem is that when the system gets up to temperature, it pulls water in from this tank, if there is no water in this tank to draw from then the system gets a low indicator. Fill this bottle to the fill line and test it, this should solve your problem.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi Art,

Just wondered if Im being retarded here but, The coolant tank in the boot is the expansion tank with overflow under the rear of the car. Surely the only time the car would draw coolant from this tank is during cooling/cool down. During warm up and normal operation the car would just either pass the expanded hot air or the hot water from the cooling system if there was enough coolant in the main coolant header tank. ???? :)

If I want to ensure I have enough coolant in my system I would brim the coolant header tank in the engine bay then just half fill the expansion tank. You should then notice coolant dripping out of the rear corner of the car once its up to temp, assuming there was enough coolant in the car in the first place. :)

The tell tale indicates you need to add coolant not that the car is overheating.

Artie

Artie,

This is not correct. The tell tale is dual function and not only warns of low coolant but also high coolant temps.

Sounds to me like he may have a cooling problem since he states that the gauge always stays at 80 degrees. I've never seen one that didn't fluctuate somewhat and activate the cooling fans at some point.

You need to check the coolant temp in some way such as an infrared temp gun and verify that the temp gauge is working properly to rule out an actual overheating issue.

I would not drive the car until you can be sure it's not running hot....

1995 S4s

Artie,

This is not correct. The tell tale is dual function and not only warns of low coolant but also high coolant temps.

Sounds to me like he may have a cooling problem since he states that the gauge always stays at 80 degrees. I've never seen one that didn't fluctuate somewhat and activate the cooling fans at some point.

You need to check the coolant temp in some way such as an infrared temp gun and verify that the temp gauge is working properly to rule out an actual overheating issue.

I would not drive the car until you can be sure it's not running hot....

Carl, you are correct, usually upon cooldown it will draw from the expansion tank, but if there is air in the system and the system isn't topped up correctly it can draw from this, at least most of the other cars I've worked on operate in this fashion.

Jim,

Thanks for that clarification, I wasn't aware this was a two function light. Forgive my simplistic answer as I was trying to understand the question/problem and answered in what I thought would help the most.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

thanks for your replys

so I will try to add coolant/water in the boot's tank.......

however about the temp, yes if the car remain for more time stop for example in the trafic the temp go up to 90 also 100

I am having the same problem..Here is what I have found.

The coolant light will come on for low fluid level or high temp. It will also come on WITH the check engine light if there is a fan problem.

Mine first came on while idling in traffic for a long time (45 min) The temp gauge indicated it wasn't overheating, it was at max 90 and I could hear the fans come on and watch the temp fall etc. I checked my fluid levels (expansion tanks (chargecooler and engine) and overflow tank. All was fine with that. I disconnected the sender leads (from chargecooler and engine expansion tanks) and grounded them to see if either of those were causing the light. I still had the same problem. It only comes on for a short period and usually goes off after some driving.

So, I have plenty of fluid, the fans are ok (I am not getting a check engine light) and it isn't showing hot on the gauge (I also checked with freescan and it shows the same as the gauge)

I suspect a stuck open thermostat. My car warms up really fast. Like within 3-5 minutes it will be at 80. It never has gone past 90 and I have never had any overflow or leakage of antifreeze, wven when idling for a long time with the a/c on or off. So i am guessing the thermostat is staying open and triggering the light. The only other thing I have to check would be the relay in the boot that controls the low coolant light.

But I do have a question. Does anyone know if there is more than one temperature sensor? I know there is one under the manifold, but is there one up front at the radiator?

Any info is appreciated.

John
94 S4

Little back ground - if you look at Alessandro's freescan logs some of the values go loopy every so and often.

Initiallly the voltage was also highly erratic, we got the alternator sorted out and the electrics seem to have got better with a more stable voltage.

It almost seems as if electrical noise is getting into the ECU.

I still think the car has a widespread electrical issue, whether it be a loose connection or a series of corroded contacts on sensors.

If it were my car I would be highly tempted to take it to a professional tuning outfit and get them to stick it on a rolling road to observe the car's sensors and readings when it is running.

With the coolant issue the car never ever seems to get near overheat and when the freescan readings are sane the car is perfectly keeping temperature. I believe the water levels are correct too from what Alessandro tells me.

it might be time to replace the terminations and the sensor, although this might not solve the problem you have to start somewhere or perhaps let a good mechanic have the car for a week or so and let them get used to it before working on it.

I feel sad for you as owning a car like this should be nothing but fun, I very much doubt there is anything seriously wrong with the car, it's certainly not a typical Esprit or Lotus problem but more to the fact the car has been standing and done so little miles in it's life.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

ok so Jonn, you have add coolant but not have resolved your light problems???.....

Certainly can be the temp sensor, but where are they?? have you photos of them???

THANKS Jonathan

what you have wrote is ok, my car as you know have little miles.......however certainly with the light ON the ECU can lock the max boost or performance of this car and this is not fun!!!!....

hower I will try to add the coolant the level in the boot tank is low low.....but the problem is that when in the car go in air ventilation the light go OFF when the car remain for few seconds stop it go ON...!!!

however I will try to add and after test......

I think the reason for that is that you have a belt driven water pump and as you speed the engine up, the water pressure increases, hence the light going on and off when you move and stop. It's a sure sign that you are low on water, it's below the sensor on idle and above once the pump is whizzing away with the engine.

Penso che il motivo per quello sia che abbiate una pompa di acqua guidata cinghia e mentre accelerate il motore, la pressione dell'acqua aumenti, quindi la luce che va in funzione e a riposo quando vi muovete e che mi arresto.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

The sensor for the temp gauge is located in the thermostat housing at the top front of the engine block. The temp sensor for the ECU and tell tale is located on the right side of the engine in the intake manifold water jacket under the plenum. (The red arrow in the pic) Pic courtesy of Sanj's website.

T0000763.jpg

I think Jonathan is on the right track with either a wiring problem (possibly ground) or flaky temp sensor in the manifold.

Cheers,

Jim

1995 S4s

Does anyone else hate sanj's engine ? :thumbsup: (wish mine was that clean)

On the water level front you might get that engine rpm vs water level effect at cold but when you're temp is up the water will expand into that air gap and you shouldn't get it - not unless your water level is extremely low...ie tank is completely empty.

I'm not 100% on how the ECU works but I would have thought if the car sees a massive temperature spike it'll set a flag in the ECU which will warn the driver until the ignition is off - the odd thing I dont think there are any fault codes generated.

I dunno if it is the done thing but I have always filled my main tank up and 1/2 filled the smaller one in the wheel arch - when the car gets hot and the pressure rises too much it'll gush out what it doesn't need and suck back the remainder when it cools.

I've never had the main tank on either of the cars go under max (ie take the cap off and the fluid is right there) that way.

We'll have to call you 'Babel Fish Bibo' from now ! :blush:

See if you can do some more freescan logs Alessandro - send them to me and I will host them if you cannot publish them on here.

thanks Jonathan....I will try to test the car as soon as possible with add of coolant/water in the boot tank (the level is extremely low)........I will send you also new logs so you can see the problem...........

for the moment thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks Jonathan....I will try to test the car as soon as possible with add of coolant/water in the boot tank (the level is extremely low)........I will send you also new logs so you can see the problem...........

for the moment thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!

If the header tank is near full when cold (less than 25cm from the top) don't worry about the plastic overflow tank in the rear of the boot, it is normally near empty. Check the belt which drives the water pump and the vacuum pump, if loose it would cause cooling problems. The sensor for the gauge is on the thermostat housing, make sure it is clean and secure. Check the big ground wire that goes from the right side of the engine block to the battery and chassis, if this is loose you will likely see all sorts of sensor problems.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

If the header tank is near full when cold (less than 25cm from the top) don't worry about the plastic overflow tank in the rear of the boot, it is normally near empty. Check the belt which drives the water pump and the vacuum pump, if loose it would cause cooling problems. The sensor for the gauge is on the thermostat housing, make sure it is clean and secure. Check the big ground wire that goes from the right side of the engine block to the battery and chassis, if this is loose you will likely see all sorts of sensor problems.

sanj I will add in the boot tank coolant/water as the other lotus friends tell.......about the belt it's new and about the vacuum pump, where is it?? is in the boot and it's the black big part connected with air tube??if is this I have had problems because I have opened the cover in the luggages boot because I thinked that in this cover there were the solenoid and other parts as in the old esprit but in the GT3 there is only a black strument and perhaps is this the vacuum pump ....???? however can you show me the exactly connection of this with the tube?? have you photos???

sanj I will add in the boot tank coolant/water as the other lotus friends tell.......about the belt it's new and about the vacuum pump, where is it?? is in the boot and it's the black big part connected with air tube??if is this I have had problems because I have opened the cover in the luggages boot because I thinked that in this cover there were the solenoid and other parts as in the old esprit but in the GT3 there is only a black strument and perhaps is this the vacuum pump ....???? however can you show me the exactly connection of this with the tube?? have you photos???

Sorry, i thought you had an older car. The belt will be driving the power steering pump instead of a vacuum pump.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Hi All

today I have add coolant on my car in the boot tank...it was under low and I have add coolant, but the car have the same problem of lights........as you know when I go normal or fast the light are always off but if I wait or I go in the traffic slow the light go ON and I don't know because there is this !!!!!!!!!!!

Then tomorrow I will try to remove the front plate (it's on the front)...........

what I can other check??

I'm not 100% on how the ECU works but I would have thought if the car sees a massive temperature spike it'll set a flag in the ECU which will warn the driver until the ignition is off - the odd thing I dont think there are any fault codes generated.

Me neither mate. :(

But i 'think' (as it obviously has it's own warning light), that the low coolant light is

one of the few things on the car that can cause the ECU to limit boost but does not

generate a check engine light?

Me neither mate. :(

But i 'think' (as it obviously has it's own warning light), that the low coolant light is

one of the few things on the car that can cause the ECU to limit boost but does not

generate a check engine light?

when the coolant light go ON, if it go OFF before of 10seconds the tell tale NO go OFF but if the light is always ON or more 10sec the tell tale go ON always......

Is it still throwing up a fault code ?

As I say the ECU follows a set of instructions like a logic controller so you cannot guess or suppose why something is working or not working without looking at the flow diagram for the unit.

A code could help even if there is no code shown as you can go through the truthg table and work out what IS working.