Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Operation of heater - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Operation of heater

Anyone with knowledge of how this all works? I dont have heat just in time for winter, want to take the car out to very cold climate for new years.

lotus-water-valve.jpg

Where exactly is the water valve located? Is it actually just sitting above pedals?

I think I found the diverter valve on top of the front lower subframe (easy to get to)

I believe grommets #14 or directly behind the pedals and leading thru the body to the diverter valve that above the steering rack (hard to get to)

air-solenoids.jpg

Mode Actuator controls the door for the heater matrix?

Lack of heat is often related to loss of vacuum caused by pipes disconnecting from their rubber elbows, eg 16 & 17 in the above diagram. The vacuum is produced by an electric pump & also controls the cat fast warm up butterfly (on 4 cylinder cars) has that been disconnected or removed? 😊

Cheers,

John W

34 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I don't think the V8 has an electric vacuum pump.

Any idea what produces the vacuum to power the actuators in that case?

Cheers,

John W

5 hours ago, sailorbob said:

Check there is a vacuum being applied to the diverter valve (the engine needs to be running), if there is no vacuum the heater matrix will not get fed with coolant.

diverter valve works

diverter solenoid works

vacuum supply present

found the HVAC module

Poking wires trying to understand where the failure is.........more then likely at the toughest spot, the water valve?

to be continued...........

HVAC PINOUT TEST:

9  = 11v at 1,   8v at 2,   5v at 3 ,   0v at 4

11 = pos 2   Mode switch

12 = pos 3   Mode switch

4 = pos 4    Mode  Defrost

14 + 15 = heater flap position motor actuation

6 = full v at hottest position and goes down with coldest position

3 = batt volts

7 + 8 = water valve actuation......pin 7 = 12v to cold,   pin 8 = 12v to hot

5 = position of water valve 0-10v    0v = cold  10v = hot

Edited by v8GTmac1

On the wiring diagram, HVAC module pin 4 is connected to a common ground for the HVAC module, flap position switch, flap stepper motor, water valve and temperature sensor.

Have you checked to see if the flap stepper motor is working? The resistors in them are known to burn out.

On 30/12/2019 at 03:24, sailorbob said:

On the wiring diagram, HVAC module pin 4 is connected to a common ground for the HVAC module, flap position switch, flap stepper motor, water valve and temperature sensor.

Have you checked to see if the flap stepper motor is working? The resistors in them are known to burn out.

i checked everything. In the end it was the Divereter valve, even though I could hear the plunger actuating with vacuum, it wasnt flowing hot water to the water valve. When i pulled the hose off to bypass it, rusty water came out, been trapped there for a while. 

Know  I learned heat is only for the feet and defrost. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just replaced my radiator and it was a pretty big job.  I haven't had heat in m y car ever and I just ruffed it and am tired of it not working.  I applied pressure to the diverter valve and it seemed to hold pressure when I did it while changing the radiator.  That was the time to change it, but I thought it must have been something else, so I did not change it.  From reading your post it sounds like it still could be the bad part ?????  Michael was yours holding vacuum but still not allowing coolant thru because of all the junk it had inside of it?  Thanks Mark

On 05/05/2020 at 17:11, Espritv8black said:

I just replaced my radiator and it was a pretty big job.  I haven't had heat in m y car ever and I just ruffed it and am tired of it not working.  I applied pressure to the diverter valve and it seemed to hold pressure when I did it while changing the radiator.  That was the time to change it, but I thought it must have been something else, so I did not change it.  From reading your post it sounds like it still could be the bad part ?????  Michael was yours holding vacuum but still not allowing coolant thru because of all the junk it had inside of it?  Thanks Mark

Yes it held vacuum. It's now sitting in a box, maybe one day I will soak it in a solution and it will free itself up? Either way it's an added potential failure to the heater system that I dont feel needs to be there. You will know for sure like I did when I removed the hose leading up to the cabin and rusty water came out. In order to bypass it I used something that would join the flow in all 3 directions. 

Edited by v8GTmac1