Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 4 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

As the off side cill was not fitted like the near side one , I’ve removed four self tappers and this was lurking. 
Is this a factory set up?  It was wrapped in cheap electrical tape. 

0D5DD109-7717-4103-BC49-35781AEE34E2.jpeg

The main power cable from the battery to the starter motor runs through the drivers side cill. Looks like the factory wanted to use some odd ends and joined yours in the middle. Mine was a continuous run

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angus553 said:

Yes correct,  no fuses in the boot area but within the confines of the battery cover their is a relay washer motor and electric aerial. 

Oh another thing , an aerial to source. 

Tony 

Hi again , while replacing throttle cable (three hours to remove split pin from clevis ) I had time to look and ponder on things in the foot well , mainly the battery cable that passes through to starter. Then I wondered what the red cable was beside it, turns out the car has two cables from battery to starter, is this normal?

Both these cables go to starter  , normal or ??

517196BD-671D-4B66-B982-F921E2EC01DD.jpeg 

Edited by Doris the dog

Tony 

No, not normal.  Maybe someone has added a second cable to act as earth return to the battery instead of - or well as - the chassis?  The earth cable from the battery attaches to the chassis just to the right of the petrol tank - is that still in place?

Pete

Hi Pete, yes that’s there.  Both live cables from battery track over rear wheel arch , follow chassis behind outer cill , up through body into foot well , behind pedals , then through body to same connector on starter. 

Tony 

On 16/04/2020 at 19:03, Doris the dog said:

Oh another thing , an aerial to source. 

I fitted a generic one similar to this, easy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-AM-FM-CAR-ELECTRIC-AERIAL-AUTOMATIC-ANTENNA-WING-BOOSTER-FIT-KIT/174064657885?hash=item28870fe5dd:g:vtYAAOSwvXRelT7f

Re starter cable.....possibly the original had a break in it or it was deemed to be of too small a diameter and was upgraded with a cable in parallel instead of fitting one larger cable??

As the village is so quiet today, rather than bash and crash about , I’ve started to look what trim I’ve got.  
Some pieces I can easily recognise, others I haven’t a clue your help again is required.  
Some I have double of from old wrecked elite. 
Some have been painted black. 
I don’t think I’ve top of screen trim

AD3A0BFE-6326-4AAD-A515-D1EC45FD3185.jpeg

64648E91-8ADE-4E16-A3A2-3A9C6A405923.jpeg

C4186393-0431-484B-A8DF-CDB5620D2AE5.jpeg

B220FBB2-386D-45E2-99C4-2421612AC609.jpeg

026BA696-2E18-4893-B542-110A8A8CB8C0.jpeg

9605F571-7D02-434B-972A-02507276E35A.jpeg

Edited by Doris the dog
Additional text

Tony 

Looks like your missing a passenger side top corner as well, have you tried paint stripper on the black sections yet?

fingers crossed it might come off, don’t use caustic... I once made that mistake on some bike parts 

Are these fixed to the Cills in some way? 

F01C002E-3FDB-478A-8272-34F9F45C7E49.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Straker said:

Looks like your missing a passenger side top corner as well, have you tried paint stripper on the black sections yet?

fingers crossed it might come off, don’t use caustic... I once made that mistake on some bike parts 

Ok thanks Straker. Will try paint stripper.  Think I have some

Tony 

Have paint stripper a go , black came off instantly, but that exposed Red, that need a little time , then that comes off. But then the trim surface has been keyed for the paint to stick. So will need a lot of polishing to get back to mirror finish.  

165B172C-8CE3-4DE0-A111-544D31B76EC7.jpeg

Tony 

If your aiming for a concourse finish then they are meant to be anodised rather than polished 

in the second image down one of those might be a screen top trim, hard to see when viewed on a mobile (with my eyesight!)

Edited by Straker
Typo’s

Tony : Ribbed trim. Can't think what that would be unless it's a profiled piece from the Boot hatch. Can you post a close up picture of it and give us a clue of it's dimensions.

Tony

I don't recognise that as coming from an Elite.

To help you, help us, help you on identifying the trim parts:

The Sill trim running under the door full length between the wheels is the only item you should have 2 identical pieces.

There is just one of the following : Windscreen to bonnet, Windscreen to roof line

The following items should have a LH and a RH version (mirror image)

Windscreen side vertical, Windscreen top corner, Cant Roof rails, Door capping ( gentle bend hockey stick) Rear wing capping to quarter light ( Bigger bend hock stick).

Then the rear screen has 4 straights (ish) and 4 corners, but these are strongly bonded on and most likely they are still on your glass.

That's it for the outside. there are a number of other smaller sections inside ( h and T profiles generally), but lets guide you on that when you know where you stand on the outside.

Tony

Sorry for all the questions, but waiting on door hinge pins , brake fluid so I can bleed system, foam to glue on inside of bonnet. So I’m looking at next batch of jobs.  
Can anyone tell me, does the wiring loom behind the dash go above the steering column, or below then under heater please. 

694E4978-5338-45A9-BEA4-7BEB26733D4B.jpeg

7E42D393-4C2F-4EEA-BB77-E35D7B6BDDB9.jpeg

Tony