Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 40 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Camber is adjusted with shims between the drive shaft and brake drum.

Pete

Had a look on SJ site they don’t show any to buy. Are they just circular shims to cover the PCD and diameter of drive shaft. 

Tony 

I've never seen an original either - mine had home made ones made from aluminium just as you describe.  Have you measured the camber? Did you have any extra weight in the car or was it empty when you did the measurements?  The camber will change slightly as the car goes up and down on its suspension - not sure if there is a specific ride height at which you're supposed to measure camber/toe - there is for the Excel.  Changing the camber will also very slightly affect the toe of the rear wheels.

Pete

26 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

I've never seen an original either - mine had home made ones made from aluminium just as you describe.  Have you measured the camber? Did you have any extra weight in the car or was it empty when you did the measurements?  The camber will change slightly as the car goes up and down on its suspension - not sure if there is a specific ride height at which you're supposed to measure camber/toe - there is for the Excel.  Changing the camber will also very slightly affect the toe of the rear wheels.

Pete

Pete just going from memory in the manual specification page I think it said up to 6 degrees.   There is a ride height measurement again from memory.  My books are at the friends workshop so cannot check.  
25 litres of fuel plus tools in boot.  
Today I’ve actually driven it around the industrial estate, managed to get it into second gear , without good brakes.  
 Certainly nippy in first gear.  
Have you an idea of shim thickness?

Tony 

My camber figure is from the service notes.  Technically it's minus 0.5° +/- 0.5°.  The shim on mine was about 1mm thick - just on one side.  You need to measure the camber accurately to within 0.25° - camber gauges aren't that expensive.  If you know the precise figure for your camber you can add a shim of known thickness and see how much it changes the camber - from that you should be able to calculate the actual thickness you need. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

My camber figure is from the service notes.  Technically it's minus 0.5° +/- 0.5°.  The shim on mine was about 1mm thick - just on one side.  You need to measure the camber accurately to within 0.25° - camber gauges aren't that expensive.  If you know the precise figure for your camber you can add a shim of known thickness and see how much it changes the camber - from that you should be able to calculate the actual thickness you need. 

Pete

Thanks again Pete.  
mine needs shim on near side definitely.  Off side is not so obvious by eye. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, Doris the dog said:

Thanks again Pete.  
mine needs shim on near side definitely.  Off side is not so obvious by eye. 

Pete you’re spot on with wheel camber dimensions. 

• Like 1

Tony 

21 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Well done on finding that!  That's not the first I've seen with the circlip installed incorrectly.

Pete

That could have been ongoing if I hadn’t found it , the more wear on hub , the thicker spacer I would need to add. 

Tony 

Well it’s getting close to go out on the open road.  But had a panic, I had replaced timing belt close on four years ago, with no mileage on it but lots of cranking and misfires I decided to replace it with a new one.  

IMG_0275.jpeg

• Like 1

Tony 

Well it must be getting close now to driving day, started searching for trim pieces etc. where Ive squirrel away after four years. 
One problem is I fitted headliner ( stretch carpet ) years ago still fine , but I’ve covered holes maybe to fit sun visors.  
Am I right in thinking that also there should be a panel bit like the central rollbar cover that covers join between screen and roof.  Never seen one. 
Anyone know about this ? Are sun visors held on with self tapping screws ? 

Tony 

I don't know - I haven't driven mine yet but I fitted an Excel wheelbox as it's supposed to have a larger sweep angle. 

Pete

3 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

I don't know - I haven't driven mine yet but I fitted an Excel wheelbox as it's supposed to have a larger sweep angle. 

Pete

Full range with wiper , not possible to go further Pete

IMG_0311.jpeg

Would be good if wiper parked drivers side.  

Tony 

What I mean is that the cleared patch on an Excel is supposed to be larger so that it goes lower on the driver's side - wheelboxes are available with all sorts of ratios.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Doris,

Having looked at the Elite launch photo's you have it on the correct side.  I have an early '74 model and if memory serves my wheel box has a 32 tooth gear in it.  Might be worth checking yours, see what it's got?

Roland 

21 minutes ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Hi Doris,

Having looked at the Elite launch photo's you have it on the correct side.  I have an early '74 model and if memory serves my wheel box has a 32 tooth gear in it.  Might be worth checking yours, see what it's got?

Roland 

It basically touches windscreen trim drivers side.  So no further travel possible. B

Tony