Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 6 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

I'd go back to first principles. Find tdc on cylinder no1, find out where the distributor is pointing, and that's your plug lead. Make sure it's sparking, you know it has fuel then go for a start.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi all , yet another question, the radio suppressors fitted to electric motors, ( fuel pump wiper motor etc) do people leave them on or remove them ?

On mine fitted by the dreaded Scotchloks. 

Tony 

On 06/05/2020 at 15:18, Doris the dog said:

Hi all , yet another question, the radio suppressors fitted to electric motors, ( fuel pump wiper motor etc) do people leave them on or remove them ?

On mine fitted by the dreaded Scotchloks. 

I find it best to remove them with the radio. ;)

Here we go again, help needed again.  
Please could some kind person tell me what this is. Uncovered it today.  Guessing it’s Lotus. 
Perhaps a heat shield ??

0CBA680F-B49D-4E1B-A859-0E13B103FA18.jpeg

Edited by Doris the dog

Tony 

It's the "deflector" panel that sits behind the radiator.  The strap on it fastens the air intake hose for the airbox.  It's probably really thin and fragile if it's original.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Tony, As @EXCEL V8  says. I had one these many moons ago. It fits on the front of the engine. I cant remember how it fits now  but the large breather pipe from the airbox fits inside the 'indentation'. The bracket fits round the breather pipe and keeps in in place. Its a pain trying to access anything behind it so most people(everybody??) leave it off.  

• Like 1

Maybe people do leave it off, but it is an important part of the ducted cooling system on the car, specifically designed to provide high cooling efficiency and to assist the aerodynamic flow above the bonnet and windscreen. This from Mr Kimberley!

Cheers, Richard

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

It's the "deflector" panel that sits behind the radiator.  The strap on it fastens the air intake hose for the airbox.  It's probably really thin and fragile if it's original.

Pete

It’s in a good condition to me, especially as I’ve never seen one to compare.  It’s got two holes in either end to fix to car. 

9CB3675D-6885-43DB-B24E-3A4F3213C176.jpeg

0CAD8DDD-0B2D-4D59-88BC-4183DDDAC4B3.jpeg

Tony 

You can see from this picture where it mounts:

132758281_RIMG0583annotated.thumb.jpg.06f981dd576a549cd8c7589b6ca8a00e.jpg

Be really careful when fastening - it's a Lotus special - the bolts  go through a double skin in each location and there's no support between the skins.  You may already find that the fibreglass is broken at these locations inside the wheel arch.

Pete

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

The two holes on either side should match two holes under the bonnet so that it can bolt through to the underside of the wheel arch. It sits at a slight angle so slopes backwards so the top meets the bonnet vents. As you say the top water hose goes in the notch and needs to be disconnected to get it in.

Peter beat me to it!

Edited by mikeeech
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

That's an after-market tube.  The original is more of a cardboard/aluminium affair with a foam lining I seem to remember.

Pete

Similar to the air vent tubs on the heater ducts ?

Tony 

The original on my car was in very poor condition, but best part of 30 years ago I bought a new one from Christopher Neil's. (long gone, but I think they now trade under a different name). Like the original, it's a paper wrapped Ali coiled tube in black. I don't recall it having any foam lining. It looks very much like the one in Steve's photo. 

30 years on, it's exactly as I bought it, just covered in dust!!!! :)

Tony 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elite/303562672240

Tony : The photos on ebay for this car are a good representation of many aspects for how these cars looked when original. It still has the original radio fitted and the trim looks like original ( at least the parts the mice have not dined out on). It shows the air deflector well in the engine bay and Air feed to the carbs. Routing for Vacuum attachments ( servo, pod tanks and ventilation tank) also looks to be not butchered about.

The price made me wince though.....................

Tony

High.

Looks like a good original project car and I'd kill for the chrome trim around the centre console. There can't be many of those that have survived 😢. I can't see the microphone in any pictures, but the radio is original and would cost a few bob to source I know if it wasn't there. Philips cassette microphones can't be that hard to find. But £4.5K seems a bit speculative. If it's on a galvanised chassis ??? still in serviceable condition, I might have seen it at £2 - £3K based on its originality - Or am I way out of touch with reality after being shut in for so long?

Tony

Edited by Tony D

Lets hope that this is the way that the Elite values are going to go...it still seems a real shame they are unappreciated and under valued. Having taken one completely apart in this lockdown, they are well put together albeit a bit over engineered. 

Sadly with the amount of work that these cars need for restoration many people don't commit to it, thinking they will never get a return.