Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 18 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

I buy most of my adhesives from Wayside Adhesives - they happen to be nearby, but do online sales as well.  They are usually happy to talk about stuff on the phone as well if you need advice.

Pete

That's not standard. 

If I'm seeing your picture correctly, that's the bottom back edge of the bumper I can see at the top. Looks like a plate is bridging the large opening. It should be almost same width as the radiators and maybe about 6 " deep. It has a wire mesh filling it normally, but they rot away until just the frame is left. 

Tony 

Agree with Tony, I am sure suitable mesh can be found, it is the a question of finding a frame. There was certainly nothing like that on my old elite.

I think I’ve spun off with the air in take pipe, measured the diameter of the air box tube and ordered 102mm flexible tube , but it seems to be too big by the pulley at the front of engine. 

image.jpg

Tony 

Hi , 90mm would be better down by the pulley end but the air box on mine for whatever reason the outlet pipe is 100mm.  Perhaps I can  squeeze the tube near pulley.  With hindsight should have ordered smaller diameter tube and fabricated reducer from air box. 

Tony 

After collecting a new front screen from Lotusbits I was looking at fitting it myself, after a call to Lotusbits enquiring about adhesive/sealant , which they gave some advice on , the better advice they gave was to try and get a quote from a professional company.  This I did and brilliant, fully fitted for £102.  No brainer. Coming on the 25th.  

Tony 

Will do Pete. Had a couple of hours on the Elite today , not completed any jobs.  All though I’ve had it just over a year now I’m still finding out things about it.  Following on from no splitter it’s also missing a grill behind the number plate plus the grill above the splitter.  Decided to make both grills , materials ordered. 

Tony 

Did you make the grill on your air intake as well?  It looks really good.  I've revised my front scuttle plenum to include better weather-proofing of the air intakes and I'd like to make some stainless grills - where did you get the materials?

Pete

Right after a total failure on the hose for the air box, Definitely not enough room for the 100mm diameter hose passed the engine pulley, I’ve two choices, but a smaller diameter hose and mesh disc , then make up a reducer from air box end to smaller tube. 
Or remove air box completely and fit modern air filters.  This would remove the tight fit near alternator (very tight), be able to remove oil dipstick easily and probably get to distributer a bit easier too.  
Cost probably the same as the hose and fittings.  
Has any fitted modern air filters ? Or any thoughts on this ?

regards

Tony

Tony 

I've just measured both my air box lids and they are both 3.3/8" diam.  Maybe another option is to find a different lid if yours measures 4".  They steel clip in your original photo is what retains the front of the hose - should be ~ 3.5".

Pete

10 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

remove air box completely and fit modern air filters.

I think most people would advise against this as any overflow from the carbs which would get caught by the air box has a direct path to the distributor and spark source. 🙂

It's getting there......

Tar thanks for your reply, understand what you say.  Would you know of any reason why the air box on my engine would have 100mm pipe on it   ?  It’s Carbon Fibre construction air box and is within a mm or two from touching alternator. 
Would it have been a works modification for some reason. Knowledge of Elites is just up from zero. 
Tony

Tony 

To add to TAR’s comment, someone on the Jensen Healey forum ran some rolling road tests with different intake configurations. The Lotus air box was by far the best performer, exceeding the performance of individual filters, particularly in the mid range. Then there is the question of intake roar which the Lotus air box does limit - the original intake pipe was even lined with foam rubber.

Looking in the parts manual there’s only one type which must have a smaller diameter pipe than mine. Wondering if the original owner made it.  As he was aircraft engineer and more. 
And never had the pipe going across the engine. 

Tony 

Sounds like you have a non standard air box. The original is plastic with a foam backed rubberized cover. 🙂

It's getting there......