Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 31 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

The ones I fitted did start rusting after a few years as they were not stainless or galvanised. They tend to trap a load of damp crud between them selves and the underside of the seat.

Back on fitting the doors, passenger side now has a working exterior handle and shuts, surprisingly it opens as well. 
So guess some of you have been here before, so question is what did you use for the waterproof barrier behind the door skin if it needed replacing or as mine nothing to start with.  
regards

Tony 

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning, today I’ve got the elite engine running again, it was running previously but I cocked it up when it refused to start, I fiddled with distributor then carbs only to realise it had ran out of petrol.  Plonker.   
So this morning after several attempts it’s running, but I noticed some faint smoke coming up exhaust side, seems to smell rubbery, from below manifold.  
Is there anything there that could get hot ?

Not able to Jack it up as it’s on the lawn.  But will try to shuffle cars around next week hopefully then see if there’s a problem. 
Lesson to self don’t fiddle when it’s been working, check over things. 

Tony 

Today headlining fitted. Very happy with the results.   
Would be a lot easier if I was10 or more years younger, and several kgs. lighter. Still probably easier than working on electrics under the dash 

• Like 1

Tony 

Hi Benco, firstly let me say my experience in headlining and upholstery is this one and only job. 
with a small amount of research, some owners had glued headlining too plastic sheet and Velcro strips to the roof.  I decided for me too much to go wrong. 
I didn’t use any headlining kits from car suppliers, I purchased material off internet and used high temperature spray adhesive. 
already tried out different materials on smaller trim panels, some needed more skill than I have So ended up with a material that i was told they called cotton bud ( bit fluffy) also has four way stretch. 
I cut the material larger than required, with a join under roll bar , so two halves. Marked centre line with felt pen on edge of material so to match with marks on roof and roll bar. Sprayed adhesive on the roof about 300 mm wide band between said marks, matching on inside of material. 
Then it’s pray and started at the rear gently contacting them together making sure the marks would be lining up , but had a comfortable tolerance.  Once happy with first 300mm I just sprayed roof and material , then it was easy.  Probably need a mask so not to get high on fumes , also it tests the body out , as said before being old and overweight it does add to the job. 
I think choice of material is key, if you are confident then smoother materials could be selected, the cotton bud material helps with beginner upholsterer. 

• Like 1

Tony 

Today’s question , can anyone please advise what that hole is for ? It’s around 50mm up from the sill.  10 to 12mm diameter. Think I’ve worked it out .. it’s for a bolt at bottom of roll over bar. 
As the old song goes , Mother , Father please disregard this letter 😂😂

Tony 

Just an update, my bolts at the bottom of the rollbar turned out to be M12 x 80.  Pete has a 100% record with his information , my elite is a Heinz 57 , so Pete may still be correct on normal cars.  
( or it might by a typo). 😀

Tony 

On my car you can get an M12 through the bobbin in the body but not through the lug at the bottom of the roll bar.  Maybe when they sand-blasted the roll bar they didn't get all the corrosion out?  It looks OK though.  I'll get some wet & dry in the lug and see what happens.  However - if M12 fits that's great!

Pete

Today’s job is to fit rear seats. A quick look just before lunch break, at the top of the seat , they are fixed outside edge with 1/4 unf stud on the frame and outside edge with self tapping screw.  
Also looks like you have to remove rubber fuel tank hose to put the nut on the 1/4 unf stud. 
Is this the correct fitting for the seats. 

Tony 

On closer inspection my washer pump was mounted vertically ( pipes out from bottom),slight problem with a previous owner and their copper pipe fitting as in fowls plastic pipe from the pump.  
As the rubber hose connected to copper pipe has a couple of cracks in the bend that is to tight, need to replace.  As I’m sure the coolant will soon leak.  
But the good news is I’ve fitted a rear seat.  

B6165512-5976-42BB-9DEB-739170A22346.jpeg

Interior.jpeg

• Like 2

Tony