Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's A Convertible, Too! - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's A Convertible, Too!

Advantage

This is today's (11th July) Autocar mag (apologies Haymarket - but I've got a subscription, if that helps!). It's time to grow some hair so you can let it blow in the breeze.

Obviously the picture is just a photoshop jobbie, but the article makes the right noises.

convertible3002.jpg

Article:

convertible2.jpg

convertible1.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Clarkson will buy one after his planned Gaylordo Spider got comprehensively slated by Kristen Scott Thomas :wallbash:

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Looks like thumbs up to MK then if the little article about sales is true. Be nice to see a profit and I hope they get some major leauge press coverage for that!!! Not an easy feat in todays market.

I can't afford one but can't wait to see the new car released!!!

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

• Gold FFM

Very nice article. Stunning looking design.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

If indeed that's what it would look like, I'd go and put my deposit on the soft top right now!

Interesting, I don't see any door handles ....

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Oh no! :) - I don't like it

(runs into the woods screeming and waving his hands in the air)

...it's the body shape haunches over the rear wheels....

...sorry. :)

I'm with you Iain. I don't like it either and I am surprised at the number of positive comments, the haunches are killing me. :crybaby:

I am hopeful that these designs have been leaked to throw us of the scent of the actual Esprit replacement. :)

cheers

-Chris

Like it except for the grill. Too cute. Needs to be sharper and more aggressive, maybe following the line of the lights or the brake openings.

DanR

I like the rear haunches, but not the front. It looks like a Gallardo had sex with an Elise. My bet is that the real Esprit Replacement will not look like this at all.

All Cows Eat Grass

Think it will be a marmite car, you will either love it or hate it.

I personally would like to see the Black grills behind the doors made of brushed ally or chromed as that would make it look sleek and elegant and in a style that matches the front. I have noticed that the lines used on the front give a sort of Manga look almost like a pokemon face (if you stare and stare) that grows on you.

I think making the Esprit a soft-top as seen in that picture is a BIG mistake, totally ruins it imho. As a hard top it's a nice looking car but with a rag, its just a little too much in the gangsta/cocaine dealer league a la Lambo Gallardo for my liking, not very British.

Edited by Tim Shaw

I so wanted to like this car. And in parts I do. But those two tiny lights at the front are so spoiling it for me. It's just plain wrong to incorporate two small circles right there. For me it cheapens the look.

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Bear in mind the pictures are of what an Autocar employee with a clever version of photoshop has created. It's just a what a magazine thinks it might look like. No doubt the guys at Hethel will have different ideas.

If Lotus were to simply use the Esprit S2 body, put in a modern, lively, four-cam engine, and make it available in JPS or Essex colors, at a price slightly higher than the Elise, I imagine it would sell very well.

regards,

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Looks like thumbs up to MK then if the little article about sales is true. Be nice to see a profit and I hope they get some major leauge press coverage for that!!! Not an easy feat in todays market.

Cheers

MJK says Hi. Yes it's true. As per a previous post sales have increased substantially with new dealers opeining in the US and an increase in Marketing and PR and focus on Core values. Also as per a recent FT article, MJK had recapitalised the company and thanks to Proton, who supported and wrote off it's debts, it now has a clean bottom line.

This was the kind of start the company needed and part of the 5 year plan that everyone took the mickey out of when dad announced it. Hopefully with the launch of the 2 new cars (don't forget the Eagle) Lotus's profile will increase even further and we can all look forward to supporting the brand into the future.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

for 2009 technology, a hard-top convertible will be necessary (just look at the upcoming 2007 BMW M3 spyder).

I really like this look of Esprit.

Concerning the door handle, we really do not need door handles anymore.

I had a 2002 VW New Beetle 1.8T before. There was no key hole for hatch opening, too.

It's controlled by the alarm key holder.

So I believe door can be done this way, too.

Also door can be closed by remote access (look at Toyota's Previa or Alphard Luxury vans, the doors can be closed and opened automatically, and also check out the Mercedes Benz cars)

As long as Lotus can make the mechanical and electronic system reliable (in a reasonable standard)

it will sell...

I think Lotus Elise and Exige already proofs about the reliability issue.

The only worry is "will people who pay US$100,000+ for a car accept "fiber glass body??

We, as Esprit owners, and the Elise owners know about how big door gap and hatch gap is for fiber glass body.

I went to a Lotus car show by HK dealership before, and some "non-Lotus" owners had asked about the big door gap issue...

What's the Eagle Kimbers?

Tim,the Eagle is a the new 2+2 due out in....wait for it.....2008....yes next year!!

From what MJK has said in articles it and the new Esprit will share "Lotus DNA". I would have to say watch this space because I know as much as you about this, it and the new Esprit are a closely guarded secret, so don't expect any real pics until just before their actual release.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

The front of the car looks too cute, its got to look harder edged. The rear end does look a little odd, but if they keep that hugh air duct on the sides it will be cool. Suck in pedestrians if you drive close ot the pavement heheh. Door handls if they are right are imprortant because its the first part of the car you touch and feel. The click, the resistance has to be spot on. No door handle nothing to touch and brain goes Huh!!!

I am interested to see what the eagle is like. I need the family car and so a Lotus 2+2 sat next to the GT3 would look preety good to me. Are there any piccies of the eagle that Lotus will share this year kimbers? And whats the likely price range?

cheers

Alex