Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any gone 350Sport to 410Sport - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Any gone 350Sport to 410Sport

redlancer

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

I tried this mod and sadly it didn’t work for me, exhaust kept going back to quiet mode so I’ve ordered the override switch from Lotus.

If it didn't work then the only explanation is you have the valve the wrong way in. 

If the vacuum to the exhaust valve is blocked, the exhaust will always be in 'loud' mode. It's no rocket science 😉

Adding the button will not work. 

• Like 1

You make a good point above.

But... when lotus calls the switch an ‘engine protection switch’ or words to that effect one assumes that opening the valve is better for the engine than having it closed. I might accept a warranty claim rejection if i permanently closed the valves as that may increase the risk of a failure but protecting the engine at all times is surely not an unfair move. 

my understanding is that the 410 was homolgated at a time when euro sound laws had changed and as such it needed to be quieter at lower speeds.  

I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

I thought it was more to do with flow of gasses? Can't block it off or the engine will have serious issues.

Much like revving the piss out of a car and sticking a potato in the exhaust, and duct taping it shut.

I think you are right in that it has to open above 4K revs to let the engine breathe. Hence opening it sooner May also help with breathing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jcx said:

You make a good point above.

But... when lotus calls the switch an ‘engine protection switch’ or words to that effect one assumes that opening the valve is better for the engine than having it closed. I might accept a warranty claim rejection if i permanently closed the valves as that may increase the risk of a failure but protecting the engine at all times is surely not an unfair move. 

my understanding is that the 410 was homolgated at a time when euro sound laws had changed and as such it needed to be quieter at lower speeds.  

I could be wrong. 

You got it to wrong way: the valve is sprung open. Applying the vacuum closes the valve. 

If you put the 'fish tank valve' between the vacuum line you avoid vacuum to the valve, hence it being OPEN all the time. 

You cannot force it closed, nor with the fish thingy, nor with the oem button. 

6 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

If it didn't work then the only explanation is you have the valve the wrong way in. 

If the vacuum to the exhaust valve is blocked, the exhaust will always be in 'loud' mode. It's no rocket science 😉

Adding the button will not work. 

Lol. It’s a one way valve, you can’t put it in the wrong way around. It worked initially but then worked intermittently so I can only assume the cheap fish tank valve doesn’t seal fully when shut so there’s enough vacuum to activate the exhaust valve. I’ve taken it off and will join the hose back together.

Ive also taken the steering column shroud off and the wiring loom is there (and labelled) so the switch will work, it’s not rocket science 🙄

14 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Ive also taken the steering column shroud off and the wiring loom is there (and labelled) so the switch will work, it’s not rocket science 🙄

True, but even when you'll wire up the button, it won't work. 

No experience with such fish tank valve, but typically a pneumatic valve can be wired up the worng way when closed, air can come in via the pressure release side. 

Edited by Kristof Thys

14 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I know other 410 owners that have fitted the switch and it works. 

My switch works. But I don’t know exactly what was done to make it work. 

• Like 1

just to go off topic to get back on topic :)

Thanks for all response and IM's
Was looking for any info to change my mind to do this, not the other way around and didn't get any :)
Did consider other cars but misses put her foot down and said no. 
You only live once and in a lucky position to be able to get one.

In the process of buying a 410,  pick up early March, getting the exhaust button fitted. 
Out of interest - wasn't this when in race mode a way to keep the value closed untill around 4500 revs for noise checks ;)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, redlancer said:

just to go off topic to get back on topic :)

Thanks for all response and IM's
Was looking for any info to change my mind to do this, not the other way around and didn't get any :)
Did consider other cars but misses put her foot down and said no. 
You only live once and in a lucky position to be able to get one.

In the process of buying a 410,  pick up early March, getting the exhaust button fitted. 
Out of interest - wasn't this when in race mode a way to keep the value closed untill around 4500 revs for noise checks ;)

Having the button retro fitted is technically interfering with the standard spec, although hard to enforce by Lotus. New EU noise emissions rules were introduced and for 2018 Lotus adopted these by removing the ability to have exhaust fully open at lower revs. The wiring and loom were left in as it was an extra cost to remove, but button was simply taken out. ECU was also adapted.

Retro fitting allows opening of the valve permanently but only in normal mode. Sport and Race while indicating on dash as open are not and only open above 4,500 rpm.

You need an ECU reprogramming, which dealers can do

Great move in getting a 410 👍🏽

Hope this helps

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tex said:

Having the button retro fitted is technically interfering with the standard spec, although hard to enforce by Lotus. New EU noise emissions rules were introduced and for 2018 Lotus adopted these by removing the ability to have exhaust fully open at lower revs. The wiring and loom were left in as it was an extra cost to remove, but button was simply taken out. ECU was also adapted.

Retro fitting allows opening of the valve permanently but only in normal mode. Sport and Race while indicating on dash as open are not and only open above 4,500 rpm.

You need an ECU reprogramming, which dealers can do

Great move in getting a 410 👍🏽

Hope this helps

My button makes the exhaust loud at low revs in all modes including race and sport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martrack said:

And I thought (and read on this forum I think) that in race mode, the valve was permanently opened, even on new cars without the button.
This may be wrong then.

I find race mode in any exhaust settling is slightly louder than it is in sport setting.  i think the fuelling is slightly different and the tickover is higher in race mode too.

21 hours ago, Jcx said:

I find race mode in any exhaust settling is slightly louder than it is in sport setting.  i think the fuelling is slightly different and the tickover is higher in race mode too.

Yup, same as mine and my button also opens below 4,500 revs in Sport and Race as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the discussion about the exhaust switch, I fitted mine at the weekend. The wiring loom is already in place (I had checked beforehand) so I just bought a switch from Deroure (no wait, arrived quickly).

It works perfectly in all modes and displays when open or closed on the dash. Took me about 15 minutes to fit so in all very pleased :)

Back on topic, @redlancer are you buying new or used? What’s the spec in either instance? When is it arriving? Worth the upgrade for the noise alone, you’ll love it😃👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Just to add to the discussion about the exhaust switch, I fitted mine at the weekend. The wiring loom is already in place (I had checked beforehand) so I just bought a switch from Deroure (no wait, arrived quickly).

It works perfectly in all modes and displays when open or closed on the dash. Took me about 15 minutes to fit so in all very pleased :)

Back on topic, @redlancer are you buying new or used? What’s the spec in either instance? When is it arriving? Worth the upgrade for the noise alone, you’ll love it😃👍🏻

Did you take any pics? I’d love to see what it all looked like behind the steering column cover. 

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Interesting, without ECU update then.
Results seem to vary from one to another, some seem to need an ECU update, for others the button only works in normal mode...
You may be lucky 😅

9 minutes ago, Jcx said:

Did you take any pics? I’d love to see what it all looked like behind the steering column cover. 

I only thought about photos afterwards, sorry! It’s only 6 screws to take it off anyway

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 20:52, ratmbe said:

interesting you know how to take some photos, and give the reference of the parts you ordered?

you have to go to the dealer?

Had to buy the switch from Lotus - part number A138M0088F (number 18 in this diagram) £48.94 + VAT

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=1&MDL=40&TBL=11961&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

No need to go to dealer

(Sorry, back on topic now!)

• Love 1