Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Jonas S1 restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Jonas S1 restoration

As I said, and it begins!

My first task will be to totally gut the interior, everything has a musky smell but not the enjoyable one.

During this I happened to put my hand through the bulkhead( oops!) replace? YES.

Now to my first of many questions, Is the bulkhead glued in?, or is just bolted, believe me, it doesn't really show in my car.

I´ve been searching but can´t really find any thread that shows a bulkhead replacement.

_20200223_084429.JPG

Edited by Jonas

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello Jonas, welcome on the forum.

It's marine plywood and yes is laminated with fiberglass removing it is a difficult job but could be done with patience...SJ sells all the panel cutted and ready to fit. Pics please.

Ciao

G.

Thank you for your reply.

This will not be difficult, nature already made most of that (and possibly the odd rodent)

will take pictures along the way, any guidance is appreciated.

9 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

A good opportunity to replace them with some nice new alloy ones :)

If I had an ac tig welder I would, but I only got a dc welder so stainless Steel it Will be.

Looks like a good project although looking at that rust you may be in for some expense and likely quite a bit of chassis work.

Look forward to the updates, alloy tanks are available but if you have the fabrication skills to make stainless ones then hats off.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

17 hours ago, Jonas said:

30miles to the gallon, yeah right!

Good thing, it wont be hard to get the tanks out, just crumble it together and pull it out through the bulkhead.  😎 

_20200225_202254.JPG

Looks repairable..............😲

Seriously though, that is horrendous.

Watching with interest. Keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

Andy.

2 hours ago, Jeanvm said:

This could be the new "Singer" Esprit S1. Everthing new and better. I am watching this.

Yes, as I made clear, this Will have solutions and parts that Will make puritans cringe, but then again,  so many parts are missing and broken so it would not be justifyable to make it an original restoration,  the appearance Will be lotus esprit turbo but more uptodate under the surface, that being said. I Will try to make it with care so it Will be possible to reverse. 

Edited by Jonas

Will it go back in? 

Maybe,

the binnacle? maybe, its kind of a signature piece for the lotus but Will have new dials, 

Im sorry to say bye bye to MR veglia. 

_20200227_165452.JPG

UH! Yes, all new wiring will be needed,

I am going to use a thing from the motorcycle world called an M-unit, 

Stay tuned 😉

_20200227_192906.JPG

The beam is surprisingly in exellent nick!

A little surface rust but nothing more then a good brushing and a coat of por15.

_20200227_192936.JPG

• Like 1

I think that is a Plektron diode which is actually 3 diodes and a resistor. I've no idea where its used in the car though. 🙂

• Like 1

It's getting there......

5 hours ago, Jonas said:

Will it go back in? 

Maybe,

the binnacle? maybe, its kind of a signature piece for the lotus but Will have new dials, 

Im sorry to say bye bye to MR veglia. 

_20200227_165452.JPG

Don't throw those dials away they're worth a lot of money!

• Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

37 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Don't throw those dials away they're worth a lot of money!

I know, removed the plastic and they look like new, will test them so everything works before I decide what to do .

• Like 1

You can buyIMG_0181.thumb.JPG.2752411ab069dbba77429132d7675a08.JPG the metal Veglia dial surround form S and J sports cars. You really should keep them in the car. Its a major part of the interior design. But of course all that matters is what you want to do. 

IMG_1006.thumb.PNG.94cbdcd73b9a62d5001a8ba0277d44bb.PNG