Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 14 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

Saw a political broadcast by the Leave campaign the other night which was still pushing the £350million a week figure for what we send to the EU even though that number had been widely refuted.  Irritates me to death that they are still trying to mislead us.

I also have doubts about Boris. He was late to say whether he was for staying or leaving and he said that was because he couldn't decide. So, if it was such a hard decision, how come he's now so evangelical about leaving?  And then there is Michael Gove, David Cameron's (ex?) friend who is possibly sore about how he was demoted from education minister in a cabinet shuffle.  Is all the leave campaign work they are doing just about a power grab and getting rid of Cameron with the future of the country a very secondary consideration?

Then there's Osborne trying to scare us with talk of an emergency budget as soon as we get a result to leave.  Why?  It will take years to leave and I can't see an immediate consequence to the economy.  Cancellations in investment that may result would take months or longer to have an effect, wouldn't they?

Why can't they speak the truth?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM
42 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

They're politicians.

It's not that.

neill kinnock is the man to ask why!!

Only here once

Funny how the Remainers have always gone on about our exports becoming dearer owing to tariffs, and just now on the news they are saying the Pound will "plummet", which makes our exports cheaper!

• Gold FFM

Economics man - market forces - it will all balance out in the end.

what is impossible is continued economic growth - unless you bring in more demand - in the form of more consumers

Only here once

Very unlikely I think but as campaigning has been suspended for today maybe Question Time will be dropped.

Edit: Is has been dropped. Gone from the schedules.

• Gold FFM

I doubt that - it's normally filmed earlier in the day - think it all kicks off at 5 or 6 so I expect the news was still filtering through.

a shocking attack on our political system and a tragedy. 

Looks like question time has been canned - something about Rome on instead

Only here once

What convenient timing! A (genuinely) tragic loss and barbaric crime, committed by a geezer who happens to shout "Britain first" while doing the deed. The message? If you vote "LEAVE", you're just like him. This is going to stigmatise the entire camp. Feels like a made-to-order job. In the coming days I'm sure we'll be seeing "unprecedented turnaround" in the polls and statistics, with large support for remaining in the EU. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I don't think you could be any more wrong. This tragic and horrific act is not being politicised by any party and the small section of the media that are trying to make political gains on the back of it are being lambasted. For the briefest of moments the entire political spectrum in the UK has been united by Cox's murder.

What a waste and a loss of one of the few genuine politicians, not to mention a wife and mother of two. 

• Gold FFM

Absolutely disgusting. This should not be linked to anything political in any way.

im sure the media reports about the guy having mental health issues will bumble on for a while. 

My heartfelt thoughts are with her family 

Only here once

It goes without saying that this was a horrific act that should never have happened and it appears she was one of the few who were genuinely in politics for all the right reasons. I don't suppose I should be surprised at the media but I was surprised at some politicians who seemed couldn't get their faces on the media quickly enough to talk about her. The worst of which I thought was one female MP standing and talking with a female presenter on Newsnight I think (on BBC2) directly in front of the road where she was killed stating what a good friend and colleague she was - all this before within a few hours of the murder. It just seemed a bit warped to me.

The one I did feel sorry for was Ben Bradshaw who was interviewed by local news who could only just hold it together, the others I saw seemed only too happy to get there mugs on TV

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

Polly Toynbee in the Guardian is blaming this senseless act entirely on the leave campaign and Nigel Farage. Good grief.  

I see they've not opened it for comments. Odious woman.

Margate Exotics.

On a Terrible day like today I would like you to look at this picture which is of the 2 unarmed Police Officers tackling and arresting the murderer, despite knowing he had a gun and a knife. We can all see a ladies handbag on the right. 

Like everyone else I was shocked this has happened and to such a lovely lady with 2 kids and a loving family. 

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Absolutely tragic day yesterday.  It was bad enough to see Farage standing in front of the 'BREAKING POINT' poster closely resembling Nazi propaganda suggesting we close our borders entirely.  I won't paste such a terrible picture here but you can look it up easily if you really want to see it.  And then the murder of the MP was just horrific news.  The current situation in this country is beyond reason with so much negativity and hatred everywhere.  Heartbreaking this is the state of our country it really is.

• Like 1

I dont believe this incident indicates there is massive negativity and hatred in this country at all. I believe 99.9 % of people get along here just fine regardless of race or creed. The heartbreak comes when thinking about this poor ladys family, not for the country.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andyww said:

I dont believe this incident indicates there is massive negativity and hatred in this country at all. I believe 99.9 % of people get along here just fine regardless of race or creed. The heartbreak comes when thinking about this poor ladys family, not for the country.

Sure, it was just the act of one person, so i don't think the action of one person indicates a massive amount of negativity and hatred.  I'm also looking at the wider picture of the country at the moment and the amount of hate going on.  Even her husband said it "She would have wanted two things above all else to happen now, one that our precious children are bathed in love and two, that we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her."

I have already seen calls from Left wing and Pro Stay groups saying they want Pro Brexit and anyone who disagrees with them banned from promoting as they only purport to promote hatred.

Like they don't:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Didn't a certain Jeremy Corbyn have a similar point of view about those in his own party who disagreed with him, or did I miss understand that stuff?

Lest we forget that Stalin, Lenin, Mao were "lefties" and they were responsible for some pretty horrific policies. I find it funny that the right is always assumed to be nasty (even the Tories - let's face it, Cameron does look like a soft cabbage patch doll) when in effect, the Left are every bit as nasty, especially if you do not succumb and agree with them quietly! And of course it was the Left government that led is into a wholly illegal and immoral war not that long ago too! Funny that really.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I'm not making any personal comment on this very sad news but following the announcement of the MPs death, Sterling bounced sharply and the equity markets have rallied strongly this morning (currently FTSE 100 +73pts).

What that is telling you is that there is an anticipation that 'moderate' voters will be swayed away from Brexit if there is any link whatsoever with the murderer and the exit campaign. Yes, it remains to be seen, but it's been reported he was shouting something like "Britain First" or something.  

The Polly Toynbee view that all Brexiters are peddling hate is no better than saying that all Moslems are terrorists. 

I have seen some pretty horrific stuff on the Guardian comments pages including, several times, that IDS should be killed.