Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
James Bond S1 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

James Bond S1

Lotusfab

Apparently theres a bit of a dicussion as to whether or not the real full size wet sub S1 was used in the movie. Some say it was just models. Well I believe the underwater shots are mostly the real sub and for some shots its a model. Whats the proof? Simple really.IMG_1301.JPG.a14c65a334b206239b178c8258dda841.JPG

Top LHS of the windscreen you can see some slats are missing and theres a mirror so the diver inside can see outside. The models dont have this.

IMG_1306.thumb.PNG.ce32fac5fc633882d6cb08acffeb6720.PNGScreenshot from the movie. The real sub with viewing area top left. Note the diving planes front full up real full down to try and counter the downforce because of the shape. Look carefully at the whole underwater scene. Two sets of bubbles from the rear top of the roof left and right. The bubbles appear when the divers inside breath they arn't continous until you see the rear of the model heading towards Strombergs underwater installation. 

Heres the model the diving planes are fixed horizontally and the car still manouevres!

IMG_1308.thumb.JPG.e83bc97cd381dd21de170c59c49cf8d0.JPGNext time you watch the scene just watch the diving planes. When the sub is used the pilot struggles to control the sub as the nose downforce from the shape is hard to counter. At the end of the scene, when the car gets bullet holes, it bounces off the sea bed. Watch the diving planes move as the pilot tries to control it. I reckon this was a cock up and they kept it in. So in summary the real full size sub was used for most of the underwater scenes, not models.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This BTS pic of the sub looks real to me too :)  

Lotus_26.jpg

• Thanks 1

The final evidence is my S1. It is in fact  a wet sub. It can perform exactly as the above picture. We had a deveopement problem which we couldn't overcone. It can only go under water once! 😫😫😫😫

• Haha 1

The detractors are claiming that although the wet sub existed and was shipped on site it was not used in any movie shots. There is plenty of evidence that it was.

7 minutes ago, Andyww said:

The detractors are claiming that although the wet sub existed and was shipped on site it was not used in any movie shots. There is plenty of evidence that it was.

Its a similar argument to building Saturn V rockets and not going to the moon! So far I havn't seen any evidence it was a model. If it was a fully working model with moveable diving plains where is it? Why would you have bubbles coming out. It would also work very well as you would be able to balance it correctly. This would mean the diving plains would not be at full deflection the whole time! Its obvious to me its a real sub in the movie.

There are pictures in existence of the model and it was definitely used, with fixed, level dive plains, in the shots with the Stromberg lair in view. It would have to have been a model to get the scale right.

But, because there is proof of the model existing I am not sure why people are assuming it was used for all the shots. In fact how could the model have been used when there are divers chasing it for a start. Its easy to see the difference between the model and full size.

This is where it is claimed the shots were all model, I am sure they are wrong:

https://www.007.com/the-spy-who-loved-me-2/

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Andyww said:

There are pictures in existence of the model and it was definitely used, with fixed, level dive plains, in the shots with the Stromberg lair in view. It would have to have been a model to get the scale right.

But, because there is proof of the model existing I am not sure why people are assuming it was used for all the shots. In fact how could the model have been used when there are divers chasing it for a start. Its easy to see the difference between the model and full size.

This is where it is claimed the shots were all model, I am sure they are wrong:

https://www.007.com/the-spy-who-loved-me-2/

I agree the Stromberg shot was the fixed diving plane model. But the rest was almost all the sub. That website needs correcting. Mybe we could find the guy who actually piloted it for the scenes?

• Like 1

21FDA89B-E2BD-42EF-9B95-744DB4EDF2CF.gif.c4bdaba4d7b0e9270b3422e5e89713c8.gif

Its really good to see new images pop up and been a few recently, I had the pleasure of watching PPW sell to Pete Neilson, the S1 had a £60k estimate and the N/A engined Turbo from FYEO had a £30k one. If only we could go back in time.

It was nice to see one of the Wet Nellie subs restored at Bond 50, didn’t Elon Musk buy one as well?

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

The little That I do know about the submarine, is that in the film when the car first goes into the water the first underwater shot is a model and the bubbles were produced using Alka-Seltzer tablets.

• Like 2

That is correct as it still has wheels at that point and the bubbles are a cloud of fizzing. After it transforms, its the full size.

The interior pics from Advantage are great! You can see the mechanism for controlling the dive planes and the 4 motors for the props. There is a manifold with some thin tubing which seems to go up to the top, this lines up with where the bubbles enamate from in the movie shots.

5 minutes ago, Andyww said:

That is correct as it still has wheels at that point and the bubbles are a cloud of fizzing. After it transforms, its the full size.

The interior pics from Advantage are great! You can see the mechanism for controlling the dive planes and the 4 motors for the props. There is a manifold with some thin tubing which seems to go up to the top, this lines up with where the bubbles enamate from in the movie shots.

The link is very interesting to watch, it has interviews of who worked on the film and all about the submarine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James.007 said:

The little That I do know about the submarine, is that in the film when the car first goes into the water the first underwater shot is a model and the bubbles were produced using Alka-Seltzer tablets.

2 hours ago, James.007 said:

Yep thats true as it entres the water its a model, you can tell because the top left of the screen has no mirror. As soon as it bottoms its the real sub, when theybare waiting to fire the missiles.

Model, yop left screen no mirror

IMG_1319.thumb.PNG.c0dcdb08d594962bc505a87420a7146e.PNGReal sub, mirror top left

IMG_1321.PNG

Ohh and the model has very dodgy slotmags!

And the lights are all wrong!

It also looks like the door wasn't that well defined on the model. In the clip watch the bubbles. In some bits you can see them expelled as the divers inside breathe when it switches to the full size sub. QED.

I read that original post and from my understanding nobody was claiming it was all done with models. The original poster was rightly stating that some of the shots were of a model but then somebody else misread what he wrote and interpreted it as though he was saying it was all done with models and the full size sub wasn't used. It actually became ridiculous and at one point I thought somebody was just trying to wind up the original poster because no matter how many times he reiterated that he was saying it was a combination of models and full sized cars the other poster just kept replying saying he was claiming it was all done with models. I got bored in the end and stopped following it.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The car which drove up onto the beach had a sweeping brush stuck to the underside to disguise the line created in the sand by the wire hahaha very high tech ;)

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I wouldn't be surprised. Film-making is very practical, and stuff is improvised all the time.

TSWLM may have been the most expensive Bond film at that time, but they wouldn't have had money to burn.

Whatever works in the time available.