Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine building tools... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine building tools...

cweeden

Hi All,

I am about to rebuild my engine (or have it rebuilt, not entirely sure yet; the virus is making things more challenging) and I am investigating the tools I would need to buy to allow me to check the current state of the engine, measuring wear of bearing journals, cylinder bore dimensions etc.

At the least it looks like I need some reasonably good quality calipers to measure between 0 and 100mm (so more than one instrument required) and bore gauges.

I have feeler gauges but may invest in some more and plastigauge seems necessary too but I'm not 100% sure yet (I have plenty of reading to do).
I also have a couple of torque wrenches but nothing fancy and both are for higher torque and I've no idea of their accuracy (Silverline and Kamasa) plus they won't cover the more delicate fasteners so this is another area I need to look into.

As always I'm trying to balance cost vs performance to get a sweet spot of what I should be looking for. I could buy the first set I see on Amazon or eBay but I'm pretty sure that is a recipe for disaster, or is it, maybe even the cheaper tools these days are pretty good (or at least good enough). I don't want to save a few quid here and create bigger problems further down the line.

The question I have are:

Which manufacturer would you recommend and which devices are you guys already using?
What tolerance should I be working with for each specific device?
Any brands that should be avoided?

These are in addition to the Lotus specific tools that might be needed, if anyone has any of those they want to sell please message me. 🙂 

cheers

-Chris

• Haha 1

Apart from any tools that are V8-specific, you’ll find a valve spring compressor, piston ring fitting tool, and piston ring compressing tool all very useful. If you’re having any work done on the engine, my advice is to ask the machine shop to check the measurements for you, if you don’t already have them. They’ll have the necessary equipment, and experience. It could be cheaper than buying the stuff yourself, too. Unless of course you’re bored out of your brains and hell-bent on DIY, in which case you need measuring tools!

A 1/4” drive torque wrench is handy. Personally, I use Britool, Norbar 1/2” drives, a Craftsman 3/8” digital, and a nice little Teng 1/4”.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks for the replies so far, I don't plan on doing any engineering work myself but any excuse to add some useful tools to the collection shouldn't be passed up too easily. And the ability to check and re-check seems like a valid excuse. 

@Barrykearley I was once told the only tools anyone needs are a hammer, a hacksaw and some WD40. 🤣

I've got a fairly well used angle grinder with a good assortment of disks, it seems I am lacking the more delicate tools. 😇

cheers

-Chris

3 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

Id avoid a digital micrometer.

Hi @Buddsy, thanks for the info. I was looking at digital tools to help prevent user error when taking the readings, I know how to read them but it's just something else I could screw up. 🙈

so much to my surprise he said go digitial  but quality digital.

Then even more surprising he sent this link for Chinese bloody kit.!

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/measuring-and-test-equipment/digital-calipers/500-196-30-abs-aos-caliper/p/MIT3254570A

Expensive but v.good.  Said he wouldn't use anything else.

• Like 1

I found this guide which is simple to follow and seems packed with common sense.

https://digitalmicrometers.co.uk/blogs/advice/reduce-error-external-micrometer

And some of these of appropriate lengths would help with the confidence in any device. 🙂 

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/measuring-and-test-equipment/micrometer-setting-standards/25mm-micrometer-setting-rod/p/OXD3357010K

cheers

-Chris

Managed to pick up a couple of items on ebay (still need to find a couple more micrometers to cover the ranges needed but its a good start) 🙂

I'll need a setting rod to check their calibration though, thanks for all the advice. 👍

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg