Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Idling issue - '89 SE - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Idling issue - '89 SE

Hammer59

2 hours ago, Hammer59 said:

Was watching an American car restorer on youtube rescue an Esprit from water damage and/or been left out in the elements for years.  He referred to a fuel accumulator that apparently holds fuel pressure for about 24 hrs to thwart vapour locking.  Would a faulty accumulator give me my symptoms?  i.e. fine on cold starts, fine if restarted within a few minutes, 5-8 seconds cranking required if restarted any time from a few minutes upward until probably around 12 hours or more.  Any comments appreciated.

Looks like only US models had the accumulator.  Does this sound right?  If so, it's a shame as a defective accumulator can definitely give hot start problems according to my googling.

• 6 months later...
On 30/04/2021 at 16:38, Hammer59 said:

Looks like only US models had the accumulator.  Does this sound right?  If so, it's a shame as a defective accumulator can definitely give hot start problems according to my googling.

Discovered a leaking fuel pressure regulator.  Replaced this and the hot start problem disappeared.  Yay.  Still have the revs dropping too slowly, though.

5 hours ago, Hammer59 said:

Still have the revs dropping too slowly, though.

What about the throttle cable dragging?

If its damaged or too much grease has been applied the inner will drag inside the outer.

Get someone to blip the throttle while you watch :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

12 hours ago, jonwat said:

What about the throttle cable dragging?

If its damaged or too much grease has been applied the inner will drag inside the outer.

Get someone to blip the throttle while you watch :thumbup:

Thanks John.  I'll give that a go.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hammer59 said:

Still have the revs dropping too slowly, though.

Hi Terry,

This hanging throttle scenario is a classic symptom of an air leak.

If your cable isn't binding, I would go through all the hoses and pipes connected to the inlet manifold.

Or maybe a damaged or displaced "o" ring on one of your new injectors.

Andy.

2 hours ago, AndyPG said:

Hi Terry,

If your cable isn't binding, I would go through all the hoses and pipes connected to the inlet manifold.

Andy.

Thanks Andy.  When replacing the fuel pressure regulator, I noticed the vacuum line had come off the regulator.  It looked original and had split.  I was actually convinced that I had found the hanging throttle problem source but it turned out that replacement of the pipe cured the hot-start issue (unless it was a regulator problem) and not the one I was expecting.  I'll probably get my friendly neighbourhood mechanic to do the smokey test thing to see if another air leak presents itself.  I'm pretty sure I had the problem before I replaced the injectors.

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2021 at 11:12, AndyPG said:

Hi Terry,

Andy.

Had vacuum pipes checked and no leaks found.  At a bit of a loss as to the cause of this hanging throttle.