Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1981 Dry Sump Full Restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1981 Dry Sump Full Restoration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul

Looks like you are doing a good job and really pleased another dry sump will be gracing our roads in the future looking factory fresh, silver suits the turbo well and not many about in that colour.

Look forward to updates of the restoration as you move forward.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update (and some advice please)...

Car is stripped and all removed panels are back to gel coat ready for primer. Body is still to be prepped.

Engine is getting fully rebuilt with a few internal upgrades including lighter Carrillo pistons and rods. Turbo has been fully rebuilt.

Questions that I can’t see info for in the forums:

- On the dry sump compomotive wheels, are the faces of the black centres, diamond cut or polished back?

- For the bumpers, mirrors and louvres, what is the sheen percentage level of the satin black used?

- Has anyone got the Alunox manifold and wastegate system? How is it holding up, how many miles have you done etc?

Thanks guys!

29B94F4E-C386-4E5E-A541-1C43D5F997DE.jpeg

9F4A3C4F-6ED6-4F71-9B06-6A8E6BFE3050.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulM said:

- Has anyone got the Alunox manifold and wastegate system? How is it holding up, how many miles have you done etc?

I've got one on my G Turbo with the external wastegate.   Its the full system including backbox. (pretty much as shown in that photo) I had a few fitment issues, irritating, but nothing that was too problematic.  I could also originally feel more NVH (maybe it was resonance?), although that has reduced over time.  Once sorted its a great piece of kit and definitely an upgrade.  I'm not aware of any that have failed in service, even on the higher performance models.   It also has the advantage that it can be removed/refitted with the engine in the car and the V band clamps make removing/refitting the silencer a 5 minute job. 

• Like 1

That’s great to hear. I’ve contacted them to get a cost/timescale and I can keep the original manifold and waste-gate etc for future originality etc.

Thanks so much for the info, it’s exactly what I was looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lex Templar said:

Here are some freshly painted dry sump black bits - organised by SJ.

61A6A92F-9F35-4ADE-B20A-CC1E290DB963.jpeg

6BC8557E-E049-4CD2-8FE3-16CE7225A585.jpeg

They look incredible, almost matt. Thanks for these, I’ll send them to the painters to steer them in the right direction! Cheers

Remember the black areas around the windows too once the capping rails are back on. 

massive job to get side skirts off - apparently. I was told the cars were painted from the factory with them bonded on already.

Does your rear louvre have a single support? Will you keep the green carpet as from factory?

cheers

Lex

73803E05-0020-4F04-BA8C-1E3C42706442.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

Remember the black areas around the windows too once the capping rails are back on. 

massive job to get side skirts off - apparently. I was told the cars were painted from the factory with them bonded on already.

Does your rear louvre have a single support? Will you keep the green carpet as from factory?

cheers

Lex

73803E05-0020-4F04-BA8C-1E3C42706442.jpeg

Yeah they said the sideskirts were tough! Thanks for that additional pic, anything like that will help them get it right back to stock.

Yes rear louvres has the single support post.

Yes keeping the green carpet from factory, tempted to change it to matching beige/sand but decided to keep it all original.

17 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

My black bits have slightly more of a sheen than Lex's which as you say look almost matt. They do look very good but I would go with a slightly more satin look.

It’s hard to say how they were from the factory - this is how Steve says they should be. I imagine added years may make it shinier. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

My black bits have slightly more of a sheen than Lex's which as you say look almost matt. They do look very good but I would go with a slightly more satin look.

Ah that’s good to know. More sheen will pretty much mean more durable too, near matt will be tough to keep uniform over a few years, especially across a large flat area like the bumpers etc.

Just now, Lex Templar said:

It’s hard to say how they were from the factory - this is how Steve says they should be. I imagine added years may make it shinier. 

Yeah I think this will be it - keeping them that matt will be tough - but they do look incredible.

1 minute ago, PaulM said:

Ah that’s good to know. More sheen will pretty much mean more durable too, near matt will be tough to keep uniform over a few years, especially across a large flat area like the bumpers etc.

Yeah I think this will be it - keeping them that matt will be tough - but they do look incredible.

These aren’t matt perhaps it’s the photo but you can see in the light at the top of the louvres it is satin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lex Templar said:

These aren’t matt perhaps it’s the photo but you can see in the light at the top of the louvres it is satin

Yeah sorry I just mean they’re much closer to a Matt than a gloss. Technically Matt is 0-10% sheen and gloss is 70-100%... so ‘satin’ can cover a huge range from near Matt to slightly dull gloss.

I’d be interested to know what % sheen Steve is using. It does look so so good! I’d guess it’s about 10-15% (egg-shell sort of sheen)

Edited by PaulM

• 2 months later...