Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LOUD intermittent rattle/banging, rpm based - 1990 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

LOUD intermittent rattle/banging, rpm based - 1990 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE

espritSTL22

1990 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE

VIDEO DOWN BELOW

Please help. 1st drive and this sound started happening when I was sitting in a drivethru in neutral.

Sounds loud enough to possibly be external. Sounds closer to the front of the engine.

Rod Knock is unlikely.

RPM based rhythm, but intermittent.

Sounds like metal on metal contact.

Also, does anyone know anyone in St. Louis, MO that has an Esprit?

Thanks, sincerely,

Brad

314-520-0932

IMG_5382.MOV

Edited by espritSTL22
More details

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn't run it any more until you have diagnosed the problem.

Look underneath and examine all ancillairies/tensioners/brackets/Belts to make sure nothing has come adrift.   

If no obvious issues, remove both cam covers to make sure all is OK,  there have been instances of cam housing bolts becoming dislodged and fouling the cam.

Definitely not from the Bellhousing?   As that could also be a culprit for something thrashing around.

16 hours ago, espritSTL22 said:

does anyone know anyone in St. Louis, MO that has an Esprit?

Aren't you a member of Lotus, Ltd, the national USA Lotus club? They list 3 nearby Esprit owners. I haven't looked at the nearby localities in Illinois.

Local chapter of the club is STALLS

https://lotusltd.com/local-chapters/

Saw your video on Facebook, I haven't a clue but it certainly does sound alarming.😬

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Brad, 

What was the outcome here in the end.

I was going to ask if depressing the clutch altered the noise (realease bearing perhaps?)