Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil cooling - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil cooling

alanlambert
Go to solution Solved by mike_sekinger,

Morning guys,

Does the oil filter housing incorporate a temperature bypass.

If not has anyone fitted a temperature controlled bypass so the oil can get up to temp before its allowed to curculate through the cooler ?

or run without an oil cooler ?

Edited by alanlambert
spelling

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Solution

Hi Alan,

The filter housing does not contain any thermostatic flow control.

151229037_855699018587507_5223794100538233549_n.jpg.b03bb6f4a21882d69c19a40e2c33be35.jpg

I've not heard of anyone fitting one.  I always bypass the oil coolers when starting-up a fresh engine, but that's just for speeding up establishment of the oil pressure and not normal running of the engine.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

It would certainly help in getting the engine oil up to a decent operating temperature quickly.  I don't have any empirical data on how long it typically takes.

Based on observations, the oil temps come up pretty quickly even with the coolers in place.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

My understanding is that turbocharged cars like the Lotus Esprit V8 twin-turbo warm up their oil and water faster than Normally Aspirated cars... This makes sense because the two turbos basically work like heaters for the fluids of the car... In the winter months, November-March here in Greece, when I want to go for a quick spin in the evening after work I will usually choose the Esprit, because among the other reasons that make the car great, it warms up faster.. My Ferrari 360 Modena for instance, takes forever to warm up, and if the weather is cold and I don't plan to drive very far, it doesn't have enough time to warm up and therefore cannot enjoy a spirited drive..

In the summertime with high temperatures, thing work the opposite way... On warm summer days, the Lotus Esprit V8 is kept at the garage, as performance drops and there is likelihood of overheating when driving.. The Ferrari is more suitable to warm weather...

Edited by MD355

9 hours ago, MD355 said:

My understanding is that turbocharged cars like the Lotus Esprit V8 twin-turbo warm up their oil and water faster than Normally Aspirated cars... This makes sense because the two turbos basically work like heaters for the fluids of the car... In the winter months, November-March here in Greece, when I want to go for a quick spin in the evening after work I will usually choose the Esprit, because among the other reasons that make the car great, it warms up faster.. My Ferrari 360 Modena for instance, takes forever to warm up, and if the weather is cold and I don't plan to drive very far, it doesn't have enough time to warm up and therefore cannot enjoy a spirited drive..

In the summertime with high temperatures, thing work the opposite way... On warm summer days, the Lotus Esprit V8 is kept at the garage, as performance drops and there is likelihood of overheating when driving.. The Ferrari is more suitable to warm weather...

A car for each season then,    Result !!! 👍

• Like 1

Not for an Esprit but I looked into oil stats years ago when rallying. On a cold winter event I could be a few miles into a stage before the oil was fully up to temp. But I came across a few horror stories of people that had suffered cracked blocks because of the slug of very cold oil hitting the very hot engine and causing thermal shock. I think this was very rare but worrying. I saw recommendations to only use stats that don't fully shut off the oil to the cooler allowing a small flow to slowly warm up the oil in the cooler to prevent the shock but never found anyone selling them.

In the end I gave up on the idea and just used a bit of cardboard to blank off some of the cooler when it was vary cold, seemed to work OK.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyblackman777 said:

Alan,

Not sure if it’s really necessary though? I see you have a different set up though!

You could say that 🙂, cooler is behind grill, below chargecoler rad and hoses from oil filter are a bit short to fit the in line temp bypass unit so might just tape over the cooler for now and see

WP_20141109_008.jpg

• Like 2