Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dashcam fitting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dashcam fitting

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I do. 

Glad I did, almost had someone reverse into the front of me, would have looked like I rear ended them etc. Plus a few funny clips 😎

I have a 512GW, cheap and cheerful, but the newer ones are better.

All I did was plug it into the cigarette lighter between the seats - it's always powered, and doesn't drain the car battery.

As for the wire, tuck it under the passenger seat, then side sill trim, then up the left side of the dash. There's a groove you can push it into, and it's the only noticeable part. Then up the A frame against the windscreen, again has a channel it hides in. Might need some subtle black tape to stop it falling out but its almost invisible. Across the top of the trim, and I stuck mine behind the mirror as much as possible to hide it both from sticky fingers and keep my vision unobstructed.

If you want any pictures let me know and I'll go take some, fair warning, it's not the cleanest install, but it also took less than 10 minutes and is easily removed and replaced. 

Sounds good. I had an install in an Elise a few years back which sounds similar.

I'd probably be looking to have it hard wired this time around as I use the 12V socket for the CTEK.

• Like 1

I'm trying out one of the DVR rear view mirrors with the full width monitor. My mirror did little for me, so mounting one item to do two jobs made sense. This link is not the brand I found, but similar. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VANTOP-10-2-5K-1080P-Dual-Lens-Car-DVR-Rearview-Mirror-Camera-Recorder-Dash-Cam/203252325934?hash=item2f52c85e2e:g:KgAAAOSwf1VgBkO3

Esprit-centric post with more details-

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/dash-cam-mirror-install-into-g-car.478939/#post-6039077

Still most of a meter of snow in the yard, and salt on the highways, so have not done much driving with it yet.

On 01/03/2021 at 11:36, Rick101 said:

Sounds good. I had an install in an Elise a few years back which sounds similar.

I'd probably be looking to have it hard wired this time around as I use the 12V socket for the CTEK.

Hi Rick,

I am in the process in fitting a Thinkware U1000 dashcam to my Exige. It is hard wired into the fuse box at the front of the car, and runs off two Cellink B batteries during parking mode.

To get power into the cabin I have drilled a hole through the plastic blanking plate in the passenger foot well. By going through this plate I have not compromised the bulkhead or chassis structure. A rubber grommet then fills this hole and a 20mm diameter cable conduit is fed through the grommet to the front fuse box. I have plans to run more cables through this conduit hence the diameter size, but you could use a smaller grommet and conduit.

1041655455_Pic1.jpg.95b18fd66e4efca25e17eaab67f89334.jpg

The cables to and from the Cellink B battery packs run along the central console of the car, and the cables to the dashcam run up the sides of the window screen. The dashcam is only temporarily fixed to the window screen as I am currently fitting a Joying 6.2” touchscreen head unit, so have removed some of the wiring.

One problem I had was with the OEM rear mirror being too big as it stopped the dashcam being positioned where I wanted it. So I had to make a new small mirror myself as I could not find a suitable one on the internet. This was made from a rear mirror with a suction cup. I then cut off the suction cup and bonded it to a 3D printed body I made, this then lets me mount it to the existing window screen mounting point.

343385890_Pic2.jpg.f1bf56d008cd6fe48ad9d5458b38fcae.jpg

Before fitting the dashcam permanently I will place a sunscreen strip across the top of the window to hide any cables and the dashcam body.

Hope this helps and gives you some guidance.

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Kristof,

I got the Android 10 model with the three touch keys on each side of the screen. I have only powered it up briefly to check if it works ok and play around with some of its functions. It looks very responsive in loading apps but cannot comment on its use properly yet.

https://www.joyingauto.eu/cheap-6-2-inch-android-car-stereo-1din-head-unit-android-10-0-radio-4gb-64gb.html

I originally wanted to use the SSC double DIN setup but you cannot get hold of them anymore. So I am modifying a second Lotus single DIN dash panel which can cut up. This will hopefully allow the Joying screen to sit further into the dash. It may not work as I also need to modify the air vents, but if it doesn’t work then I will mount it as normal by using my original Lotus single DIN panel.