Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pauls Exige 410 Sport - Page 2 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Pauls Exige 410 Sport

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 3 weeks later...

That blue look amazing Paul! 😎

My plate is a bespoke size to just fit the mounting holes.  I like your neat solution though for ease of removal. 👍

IMG_20210202_111320.jpg

• 2 months later...

There was obviously one other thing to address before my first trackday...noise.

It was quite obvious from reading the forums that a standard 410 is unlikely to pass the noise tests. The problem is that I really like the standard switchable exhaust, and didn't want a quieter one fitted all the time. I also didn't want the hassle of swapping a quiet exhaust onto the car for each track day.

That only really left me the option of some sort of temporary 'bolt-on' type device such as this: https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-exige/mk3-toyota-v6350380/exhaust/144/db-eater-kt-track-v6 , although that seemed like a lot of money for what it is, and I couldn't find any reviews of its effectiveness.

With that in mind, it was time to see if I could cobble something together myself.

What we need is: A universal silencer, a 90° bend, and a reducer.

IMG-5223.png

I painstakingly ground down the narrow part of the reducer until it slid perfectly inside the existing tailpipe. Then all the parts were joined together. I fabricated and attached a bracket to the underneath of the silencer, and the whole lot ended up looking like this:

IMG-5224.png

To attach it to the car, you simply slide it inside the existing tailpipe, and the secure it in place using two springs in holes on the flat metal bracket.

It ends up like this:

IMG-5225.png

So, now that we've established that it looks rubbish, how does it perform?

I was at Snetterton on Wednesday, but unfortunately they were not doing static testing in the morning. I would have liked to have got a reading with and without the silencer fitted.

Initially I went out on track without it fitted. Predictably I was black flagged as soon as I started getting up to speed. The drive-by limit was 92dB, and I was apparently hitting 95dB.

I fitted the silencer, and was made to do a static test before I was allowed out. This test was conducted in the pit lane while the circuit was live, so that may or may not have influenced the readings. He did two tests with the engine at 5000rpm. The readings were 104dB and 101db.

I then went out on track and had no more problems for the rest of the day. So all I can say for definite is that it reduced the drive-by value by at least 3dB.

So in summary:

Pros: (1) Cheap - Total cost around £100 (2) Very quick and easy to fit - Literally 30 seconds. (3) Straight through silencer - No restriction 

Cons: (1) Looks sh*t. (But you can't see it when you're driving, can you) (2) Total effectiveness / actual noise reduction still unknown. 

I'm at Donington Park in three weeks time, so we'll see what happens there.

• Like 2

On Wednesday I finally made it on track, after missing out a few weeks ago due to food poisoning. It was then nearly 8 weeks for the next available date!

The weather forecast kept changing daily, but luckily when I arrived I was greeted with this weather:

IMG-5211-3.jpg

I just love how purposeful the Exige looks, especially at certain angles.

IMG-5212-2.jpg

The drivers briefing is still being done online before the event, and with no static noise testing either I probably could have had another 30 minutes in bed. 

I got the car in the garage, unloaded all the tools, and fitted the towing hook ready for action.

IMG-5214-2.jpg

After letting the initial flurry of cars die down when the track first opened, I headed out. Wow. This car really feels good round the bends and on the brakes. I was grinning from ear to ear inside my helmet....well, for a little while anyway.

Coming up to the second hairpin I saw a load of smoke in the air. My initial thought was that somebody had massively locked up or something and it was tyre smoke. As I slowed for the hairpin the car suddenly felt very strange. I was steering left to go in a straight line. I was convinced something had broken or was loose. I pulled straight off and checked the car over. Everything seemed fine. I then found out that the smoke was from a Megane blowing it's engine, and the contents of it's sump were on the circuit just before the hairpin. I felt a bit stupid when I realised I'd just been sliding on the oil, but I was only braking very gently in a straight line and it didn't feel like sliding.

I then went out to have another try and that's when I got black flagged for noise. The add-on exhaust sorted it, and thankfully that was almost the last of the drama for the day.

First impressions of the car are that a) It's brilliant, and b) it's going to take me quite a while to master it.

It became very clear I'd been spoiled by using 'flappy-paddle' cars on track, and driving a manual on track again felt surprisingly difficult. I immediately decided that I wasn't even going to attempt to heel and toe today, and that I'd just start learning the car itself. 

Over the course of the day I felt more and more comfortable and the car impressed further. I definitely don't regret my decision to get it.

The official photos from the day have not been published yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing those. Hopefully there are some nice shots.

The AIM dash was brilliant, and it's nice have the data logged so that you can make fancy videos afterwards.

This one is my second fastest session, with the best lap starting at 9m30s into the video:

And this video was mainly because I wanted to play around with the RaceRender software and add a rear view:

I went through two tanks of fuel, and the car was quite low as I pulled off after the final session.

I had a couple of full petrol cans with me, so I put 5 litres in which I thought would be enough in total to get me home. I was wrong. I embarrassingly spluttered to a halt just 1 mile from home, after a 45 mile journey. Thankfully I had the second can in the boot, so it wasn't a major issue. Amazingly, not one person beeped or gave the 'w**ker' sign to the idiot with the sportscar stood at the side of the road who'd ran out of petrol.

I called @Hangar 111 during the week for a quick chat. The car is now booked in to have the alignment checked and tweaked next month when I can make it over to them. Will be doing the usual of trying to get some more camber on the front.

In conclusion - I love this silly car. 

• Like 1

Good idea with that exhaust, was also something I was thinking about.

You can get away with the standard exhaust at a few tracks by strategically lifting off near the microphones. 

Should be fine at donnington by lifting past the pit or short shifting. Main issues are static tests. Cadwell I just snuck on at 105db static with stock exhaust. 

On track did you leave the esp in normal or did you venture into sport mode?

These cars certainly slay fuel on the track. I did a tank and a half on just an evening session at donnington so make sure you're stocked up!

It was just the drive-by noise readings I was worried about really. I know I’ll always be able to pass the static test using another little trick I’ve got up my sleeve if absolutely necessary…

I started off in Sport mode for a couple of sessions, then used Race mode for the rest of the day. I didn’t use normal mode at all because of the lower Rev limit and I thought the electronics would be too intrusive. 

• Love 1

Had some bits turn up today, so got another little modification done. This one was back to the practical rather than cosmetic side.

Now I've got a few track days booked, the wheels will be coming off quite regularly for tyre and brake inspections. Based on that, a stud conversion seemed like a good idea. I've looked at some stud conversion kits previously, but a lot of them seemed to be quite long and didn't look particularly nice. I ordered a couple of individual studs in different sizes first to have a play and see how they would look. After the test I decided to go for it, and ordered slightly different sizes front and rear. Overall I'm quite pleased with the look, but obviously the main thing is how much easier it is removing and refitting the wheels now.

Studs fitted:

Studs.jpg

Front wheel:

Front-Done.jpg

Rear wheel:

Rear-Done.jpg

• Like 2

Do you mean take a the Lotus Track exhaust and modify it so that you can open a valve to completely bypass the muffler? I can't see any reason why that would throw a code, but I imagine it would be horribly loud in 'bypass' mode.

• Gold FFM
On 20/04/2021 at 03:34, Paul_D said:

Today was stereo upgrade day. 

First job, same as many many Elise / Exige owners...swap the dash speakers for a set of Focals. As a side note, I highly recommend one of these miniature Bahco socket sets. Very handy.

jReZId5.jpg 

Next up was the subwoofer. For this I chose a relatively new unit, the Pioneer TS-WX010A. The marketing blurb describes it as a unit designed for electric vehicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gewYQm5828

What this means in practice is that it's light, small, low power consumption, and designed to be kicked when sat in the footwell. So it's perfect for the Exige. 

3wl8OEq.jpg

This is the rear of the sub:

IjG48Qs.jpg?1

I decided I wanted to Velcro it to carpet, same as people normally do. I probably could have stuck the velcro on directly, but made up a little mounting plate instead.

bwQvPvg.jpg?1

LmFYCM5.jpg

Thanks to this forum, I knew to remove this cover and route the cables along the channel behind.

4MEM6kU.jpg

Taped up the cables with some felt tape to make it all look a bit neater.

6PoWtVS.jpg

Then finally mounted the sub in the passenger footwell. There's a little step about halfway up, so I mounted it here to leave as much legroom as possible. Then cable tied the cabling to any convenient points.

mMxwks5.jpg?1

EcgTTvf.jpg?1

After doing a bit of testing, I made the decision to power the sub from the head unit wiring. Neither the Sub or the head unit draw that much current in reality, and I am pretty confident that I will not suffer from any nuisance fuse blowing, even with the standard fuse only being 7.5Amps. The fuse should always protect the cabling anyway, and that will be rated to handle over 7.5 amps continuously. 

With the sub mounted in the location I chose, taller people won't even see it when they're sat in the seat.

U20hjoe.jpg

Finally I fitted the new Pioneer SPH-10BT head unit and boxed everything back up.

ziJ1aat.jpg

I only had a very quick play, but it all sounds really good and I'm very happy. And it's another job off the list.

So is that sub like in 'submarine"? :yes: :no

Other than that, you have been quite busy, haven't you?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Well I suppose it is below the surface out of view like a submarine... 🙂

Yeah, I have been busy. I made the decision to do all the mods I want to do as early as possible and then just enjoy the car. I've fell into the trap before of delaying things I want to do, and then you're not getting your moneys' worth out of them before you sell the car. 

6 hours ago, Paul_D said:

Do you mean take a the Lotus Track exhaust and modify it so that you can open a valve to completely bypass the muffler? I can't see any reason why that would throw a code, but I imagine it would be horribly loud in 'bypass' mode.

Yep so quiet 95% and attention whore when i want the valve open 5%.

I think the only way you’d get a weird error code on anything to do with that part of the exhaust is if you left the vacuum solenoid valve electrically disconnected, as it detects the open circuit. 

It sounds like quite a difficult diy project, but would be interesting to see how it turns out. 

• Gold FFM

Nah. Not that loud. Not at all. :D

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

43 minutes ago, DangerousDave said:

Straight piped v6 doesn't seem that loud then again u can't even hear the ferrari's or porsches.

Pretty sure that 380 Cup met a fiery end! And I think it was exhaust related from memory…. 🔥😰

Wednesday was another track day, this time at Donington Park on the National circuit. I'd only been here once before, and it was about 6 years ago so I was basically starting from scratch again.

The day was really (too) busy, with lots of very fast cars there including a couple of full on touring cars. Paul O'Neill of BTCC was in the garage providing coaching for one of the guys. Had a brief chat with him as I was packing up at the end of the day. Really friendly nice guy. 

Because of the amount of traffic it was really hard to get a few clear laps and find the flow of the circuit again. I definitely need to start experimenting with damper settings, as the car felt like it was rolling around a bit too much through Craners and some others.

Made friends with a very nice chap called Viren, who had a black 350 which was fitted with an Alias23 induction kit. To be honest, there wasn't much difference in pace in a straight line. 

Overall it was a fun day but I know I can be a lot smoother and faster there, so I'll definitely be going back.

Oh, and the bolt on (ugly) exhaust did it's job again as I didn't have a single warning all day.

Some photos from the day:

MSV-7462.jpg

MSV-7892.jpg

MSV-8425.jpg

MSV-6607.jpg

A short video showing a couple of clear(ish) laps.