Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pop up headlights problems. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Pop up headlights problems.

I have got problem with my Lotus Esprit Turbo SE.  Some times they pop up without any problems.  For a few times they got stuck, no pop up on the right side and won't come down on the left.  The tuning knob on the motor is very hard to turn.  When I can turn them and adjust them a little bit, they seem to work again for a couple times then they become stuck the same.  It seems to me theyare too tight when closed and too tight when it open up.  How to remedy this problem?  I have bought the repair kits from SJS but the problem is still the same.  When they work, they can go all the way up and down. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my 94 S4 the wheel is easy to spin, with just light resistance.  I wonder if your motors are in bad shape?  I had problems when the little pads that the arms rest on fell apart. replaced with a similar thickness spacer and they work great now.  I would think a rebuild kit from SJ would  include the spacers.

Thanks, I think the problem might be from the mechanical links from the motor. The motor seems to be fine. When it is ok, it is all the way up and down. It got stuck sometimes.

I had this problem previously on my left light.

I thought it was the motors so i replaced the internal parts. But after the replacement, it happened again few months down the road.

I then disconnected the motor and found that the motor turns when the linkage arms were disconnected. But when I reconnected the arms, after a few times the light on my left refused to rise up again. It seemed that the motor is too weak to raise the arm when connected.

I then bought a second hand replacement motor and the lights worked again.

It was a few months after that and my car had an accident at the front. After the repair, the left lights had trouble raising again. This I found out was becasue the repair shop did not install the lights properly and it was rubbing on the front of the hood. I readjusted the lights and was able to raise them again.

I am not sure what is your problem but hopr this information will help you.

It all points to some resistance in the linkage, as you correctly diagnosed. Often spraying some lubricant on all the pivots is enough to get things working again. I have had this problem a couple of times, usually after summer, when the lights haven't been used much for some time. A quick spray with penetrating oil and all is well again through the regular use in the winter months.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.