Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Regret buying a final edition? - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Regret buying a final edition?

Matt W

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 hours ago, David Standing said:

I gather my Plum Crazy 420FE is now in the paint shop, still on track to be completed build by the end of next week 😎

That is going to look great, I was soooo close to doing my Elise Cup FE in Plum Crazy.

Nice, mine is definitely delayed, again. Was due this week 38, originally due week 26, no idea when it may turn up. 

The dealer did get in touch this time though to let me know. Lotus are still totally unwilling to do anything to 'soften the blow of delays' still. With previous delayed cars I've had full services or even insurance thrown in. 

• Sad 1

@MattW sorry to hear that, I also wondered if there is any plan from Lotus to rectify this in some way. I wouldn't require much, just something that shows that they care.

@David woo, that looks perfect. I doesn't look like it's going to be finished by the end of the week however. There is also a hint of yellow clams in the background right side. Might be mine :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inversed said:

@David woo, that looks perfect. I doesn't look like it's going to be finished by the end of the week however. There is also a hint of yellow clams in the background right side. Might be mine :)

Those photos were as at yesterday afternoon.  No, won't be this week, it is now scheduled to be finished by Thursday next week 👍

Unfortunately delays are industry wide problem. I agree that it would be nice if there was an industry wide response in offering some form of compensation. However Lotus we’re pretty blunt about the FE being a take it or leave it price so I guess they are sticking with that approach. I know some had plans for their FEs this year but with the last ever car there is an element of the later the better isn’t there?

OK understood. Clearly one of the special ones! I tried to private message you but I don’t think I am any longer able to. I caught a glimpse of something in one of your shots that might be of interest to someone I know, so was hoping to see another shot to confirm. All that aside those Plum Crazy clams look amazing on their own. Finished car will be quite a sight! Congrats.

Edited by jimichanga

That's a fair point, and my apologies for pestering. Maybe if 'new Lotus' grew up and accepted they need to provide customer service and not just cars that look a bit like Ferrari's people wouldn't ask those that appear to have some inside knowldedge for more info what the hell is going on. 

11 hours ago, Inversed said:

Poor @David Standing everyone pestering him because of inside info :)

I can live with that, I expected it when I posted the photos of mine 😉

I did have a conversation a while back with my contact about parts shortages, that is a situation that can change (one vital part might be back in supply, but then another is in shortage), but in reality it is only an issue if the parts aren't there to finish the build, and I am crossing my fingers that it won't be the case 🙂

To be fair parts shortages are by no means confined just to Lotus, there is a global shipping logistics crisis, not just containers, but in the UK intermodal too!

I believe 'New Lotus' are well aware that they need to provide the whole package with the Emira, and this program is under way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I had a letter from Lotus a while back saying it was due in September, dealer said is was due week 38 (last week), but had no update and no car since then. 

I've largely given up on dates now and just assume now I'll pick it up at some point and garage it until spring. 

Reading other threads about how multiple people are giving conflicting information on the Emira launch it just appears the company is in chaos with communication. 

Sadly, this takes the whole buzz out of the buying process, any excitement about the car has dissipated, and that, with a growing niggle about general quality and reliability is really making me regret buying. I'd gladly walk away if I could. 

On 25/09/2021 at 10:24, David Standing said:

I can live with that, I expected it when I posted the photos of mine 😉

I did have a conversation a while back with my contact about parts shortages, that is a situation that can change (one vital part might be back in supply, but then another is in shortage), but in reality it is only an issue if the parts aren't there to finish the build, and I am crossing my fingers that it won't be the case 🙂

To be fair parts shortages are by no means confined just to Lotus, there is a global shipping logistics crisis, not just containers, but in the UK intermodal too!

I believe 'New Lotus' are well aware that they need to provide the whole package with the Emira, and this program is under way.

Sorry to bother you David, but do you know what parts are delayed? 

• Sad 1

I have just had an update on my car, and some photos. 

It is essentially complete, visibly.  

As the production workers have left for the weekend, I can't get a item by item list of what remains to be finalised until Monday morning.

I know certain parts are missing at this point, but there may (or may not) be others, I will know more on Monday.

It does not follow that what is missing from my car is the same parts missing from others of course, as specs of all cars are different.  As I said previously it can also change from one day to another - previously missing parts may become available, but the build stops again if it gets downstream to the point where other parts are missing.

I sympathise greatly with Lotus on this, and there would be no point in me jumping up and down, which I haven't/won't, it won't change anything.  It is not their fault there are supply shortages, and as I said the other day, virtually every industry is plagued by supply issues right now, including other car manufacturers that are quoting significant delays on building/delivering some models.  Lotus would like nothing better than to finish the cars and get them out, if nothing else they won't get paid for them until that happens!

Lotus are also trying to juggle the last of the old range production currently, whilst simultaneously setting up promoting, ordering and production of the Emira, probably one of the most significant events in their history.

I can only suggest to others waiting for their cars, nag your dealer for an update.

6 hours ago, Matt W said:

Sadly, this takes the whole buzz out of the buying process, any excitement about the car has dissipated, and that, with a growing niggle about general quality and reliability is really making me regret buying. I'd gladly walk away if I could. 

Really it is just unfortunate that us buying the cars at this time has coincided with the perfect storm, a global manufacturing and shipping crisis, that has cocked up building the cars.

I am not aware of any quality and reliability comments on current Exiges, other than they are well made, a good quality finish inside and out, tough as old boots for track use, and pretty reliable?

I don't regret buying mine at all, although I grant you I would rather it be sitting in my garage than sitting in the factory!

Totally get your point @David Standing and fully appreciate its not necessarily Lotus' fault. However, the way they've handled this is within their control and has been handled badly.

Regarding quality, speaking with people whose cars ended up on flatbeds on the delivery day drive home or with alarms that meant they were undriveable, from a small volume manufacturer just says QC isn't there. This can happen with any manufacturer, but the incling that a £70k+ car may not get me home isn't great. But also agree, enough moaning! 

On 01/10/2021 at 18:53, Matt W said:

Totally get your point @David Standing and fully appreciate its not necessarily Lotus' fault. However, the way they've handled this is within their control and has been handled badly.

Regarding quality, speaking with people whose cars ended up on flatbeds on the delivery day drive home or with alarms that meant they were undriveable, from a small volume manufacturer just says QC isn't there. This can happen with any manufacturer, but the incling that a £70k+ car may not get me home isn't great. But also agree, enough moaning! 

I have had a few quality control issues, mainly one of the padded door sills was obviously not fitted correctly and a bit of paint had chipped off one of the spoiler spars but these have been remedied at 1st service. other than that its been fine. At the end of the day the main components 'should' be bullet proof, the car is literally a toyota engine/gearbox, 4 wheels and 2 seats, there isn't a great deal to go wrong. Its certainly not a new defender with its 80+ ECUs!

As matt says you'll be rewarded for your patience.

I also had the front access panel alarm thing that had me scratching my head until I remembered I had been playing around under there!