Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cracked Turbo Exhaust Housing - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cracked Turbo Exhaust Housing

Techspy

I pulled apart my WCE turbo to replace the seals etc and found this crack. I imagine it has been there awhile. With the heat cycles this thing goes through I just don't know if it is acceptable or not. I have a spare OEM turbo and I have the exhaust bolts soaking in penetrating oil so I can pull it apart to see if it is in good shape. Otherwise what are the thoughts on running this one or having it welded? Thanks

turb.jpg

John
94 S4

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

That would be repaired by any turbo rebuild company. They wouldn’t use that as it is.

It’s definitely not going to get any better on it’s own - only worse.

Only here once

I've found and wondered about these sort of housing cracks. Goggle searching seem to show it as a regular concern with the consensus being it's a normal occurance.

DanR

It's a tough life for the cast iron housing, cold to red hot & repeat. Cracks are common.

I would run it as is. It's not leaking anything and has a ways to go radially before it hits the exit or any structural importance . Strictly guessing, but I bet it slows or stops when it hits the thicker section of the casting.

Thanks. I think I will run it as is. I checked with a turbo rebuilder and they suggested the same. At least if any shards come off it will only possibly contact the exhaust turbine and go out the exhaust.

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4