Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust tips restoration or good clean ? - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust tips restoration or good clean ?

My exhaust tips are in need of a good restoration I think I will take a picture when light and rain stops 

I tried cleaning last summer but I look at the tips and they are pitted and using the dragon breath didn’t get rid of the tatty appearance 

my son bought one of those dremel tools and was thinking maybe this might help ?

any suggestions ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes tried using autosol stuff but watched u tube and the first stage was to clean them then using the polisher 

PS

what type of exhaust tips are these ? I was told by snows it was replaced they mentioned lotus sports but then also said Larini & 2 tubular too ??? 

FD18887A-C0E9-472B-AABA-746CBA40021D.jpeg

Do you have a Polish to hand.  Not autoSol as that is a bit aggressive.  But I would like the see the picture again without the road grime.  

First thoughts.  Dragons Breath would be my go too for cleaning exhaust tips.  It's normally good a removing all or the bulk of grime.  Tar spots add extra problem and I guessing looking at your tips that the black spots are tar related. So I would try a tar and glue remover.  That should help. I would then use a polish like our advanced compound applying and agitating with a microfibre cloth or microfibre pad.  That should clean up the rest.  If there are still black bits present they should only be around the bottom edge.  There are extra steps you can take if need but I've never tested these ideas personally.  But some detailers use wire wool There are grade of wire wool so I would start with the least coarse. There are a couple of approaches here. You could apply a cleaner like dragons breath and use the wirewool to agitate or you could use a polish and use the wire wool as an applicator agitator. I've never done this myself so I have no idea if there are drawbacks with this method but do know that detailers use this approach. 

Looking at the exhaust tips they look dull.  I not sure if that is just road grime.  The the steel is dull you may need to use a polish with a machine tool to revive the metal shine.  

If your local to east Sussex or Kent Then I would be happy to have a look and see what I can do.

Dermel - The wire brushes might help but there is a danger that the tool heads on a dremel would wear the metal unevenly.  So I would not recommend the use of a Dremel.

I hope these thought help.  As said above please clean the road grime off and retake the photo as this might give some other ideas for attack. 

• Thanks 1

All the Best

Greg

Cheers Greg 

I need to give the car a clean including the exhaust however given work and weather not had chance 

I had tried your dragon stuff but seems not to shift the dark and rusty spots but I will try the tar remover 

wonder if I can re coat the tips but without putting car on jacks or removing the exhaust system ? 

• 1 month later...

i have used a dremel with just the cloth wadding polishing pads and meguiars all metal polish but as greg states prior to that somethhing like dragons breath to get you back to it even looking like metal would be a starting point !!

On 08/02/2022 at 10:04, Cdm2018 said:

Yes tried using autosol stuff but watched u tube and the first stage was to clean them then using the polisher 

PS

what type of exhaust tips are these ? I was told by snows it was replaced they mentioned lotus sports but then also said Larini & 2 tubular too ??? 

FD18887A-C0E9-472B-AABA-746CBA40021D.jpeg

Half an hour with some rags and Solvol Autosol paste and those will look like new. The real trick is not to get them in that state in the first place 🤣

PS not 2bular exhaust

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 1