Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus excel SE 87 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus excel SE 87

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cambelt every 2 years. Get engine very warm, oil pressure can dip quite low after starting high when cold. Ask for engine to be cold initially. Temp should not go in red or near red zone when very hot idle. Check both cooling fans work. Chassis galvanised, difficult to check for damage without a ramp. Go out in car and check it brakes well and straight. Gearbox solid, clutches can get juddery through lack of use and would need replacing if so. Doors leak, that is common. Door window surrounds corrode and hard to find replacements. Turn steering to full lock, belts get loose so listen for squeaks and strain on pump. Wheel bearings easy fix but do wear. Electric windows often slow. Cam covers do weep but should not be excessive and simple fix. Many cars have gone around the clock but owners don't realise, so if interior worn heavily but 50,000 miles, be suspicious, read the full history file. You know lots about paint I'm sure......

I'll be selling my Excel SE shortly, a totally genuine 64,000 miler, 11 years of ownership, tons spent and full history from new.

Good luck, Excel are a total bargain, love mine but I'm reducing my car fleet. LF1 already sold.

Justin

• Like 2

Suspension: should be compliant and smooth ride. If jiggly or hard, either incorrect non-standard parts or something wrong. SE engine if set up correctly, should not need choke to start unless very cold ambient temp, two pumps throttle and start, don't rev above 1000 rpm until oil pressure registers - about 3 seconds. SE engine revvy but standard exhaust a bit restricted and aftermarket ones are a bit rubbish unless it is the bespoke expensive LotusBits one. If carbs nicely set up, it should have torque from 3000 and rev to 7000, though best set up is changing at around 5500 and getting torque next gear. 

Headlinings sag, tricky but doable fix. 

Pedals are offset, wear thin shoes and ensure you test run pedals with engine off, it's tight.

Justin

• Like 1

I'd second all the above, and add checking door beams. Look at the underside near the hinge and try 'twisting' the door along the beam axis. There shouldn't be any movement. 

Tony 

• Like 2