Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Elite 502 up for auction - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Elite 502 up for auction

I don’t suppose anyone here has any knowledge of this ex Ronnie Peterson Elite 502 that’s about to go under the hammer this weekend at Historics? I’m very tempted but while I’m pretty clued up on Esprits, Elites are new to me….any knowledge on the car and/or thoughts on a value would be appreciated as it’s being sold with no reserve - thanks in advance folks 😊

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2022-03-12/cars/ref-2-1974-lotus-elite-502-ex-ronnie-peterson-dg/

9BEE88BA-873C-44D4-B894-241BF966C831.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's been features in several car mags during the last month. They are trying to raise its profile ready for the auction. One article suggested a guide price in excess of £20k if I recall. 

As a car, it is not worth anything like that figure unless it had had a full professional nut and bolt rebuild, which it hasn't. 

I'd say without its history, it would be a decent car for £8 -12K if chassis and doors are intact. Appears to be taxed and on road, but shame it doesn't appear to have been put through an MOT due to its classic status😠. Add to that what you will for provenance.

All just my opinions mind. Interested in others thoughts and definitely interested tomorrow to see what it fetches.

Tony

Thanks Tony - really helpful and much appreciated :)

I had a couple of times my elite smelt of petrol, each time it was the fuel pump. The first time there was a small leak when the car was in the garage and the petrol was coming out of the drain hole in the boot floor, it sort of leaked from the garage in to a foul drain causing the house to smell as well.

18k plus fees plus quite a lot of work, could make a nice car - hope it gets done and not left in a shed somewhere to fade away. It is always good to see one saved and back on the road. 

• Like 1

A stench of petrol on elites and eclat's was included as standard equipment.

Invariably, splits in the perished rubber breather pipe causes it. Tanks can and do leak, but I wouldn't necessarily associate a whiff of petrol in the boot with the requirement to replace the tank.

I made mine better with new pipes and a one way valve about 10 years ago, but still get a whiff of it every now and then.

Does being owned/driven by Ronnie Petersen make it special? Its an interesting bit of history, but beyond that - I dont think it adds anything - I'd value it as you see it =- a yellow elite S1 that is potentially usable.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

No idea about the record, but I hope the buyer saw it first.  Fascinating history file, but the car needed a lot of work.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.