Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine may be unrepairable - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine may be unrepairable

Hi all 

I have posted similar on the other forum for these cars too, with a few bits of good advice . I am assessing an early Eclat/Excel I bought, and this weekend took the engine apart . There was a lot of end float and when we got inside we found it had damaged the crank when it spat the thrust washers out at some pint before it got laid up .  As we know the cars are not economical to repair overall but its a hobby of mine and has been for years . However the engine may actually be the point where it is not worth doing as it may have damaged the block , yet to be sure on this so far .

To my question.

I think I have established the two main parts suppliers now , new and used .

I do need a crank and I may have found one to

Does anyone know of a used full engine , this may well be the better option, make one good one from two ?

Thanks 

David 

Years ago my 88 n/a esprit had also dropped a thrust washer.    Lotus bits repaired it as part of the £4k rebuild.     Engine was alright for the 5k miles I owned it but had to sort out a couple of tiny oil leaks myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same failure on my 88 Esprit Turbo. Thrust washer spat out, found in the oil pan, and the crank had drilled the block. Crank toast and debatable whether the block was repairable. This is becoming more and more common on 9XX as the miles and driving styles take their toll. I opted to buy a used engine. However that became a rebuild rabbit hole after discovering the bearings were scored. Ultimately I am combining the best of the two engines to make one.  I am still in the process of rebuilding mine but I’m up for the challenge. I have all the puzzle pieces just need to find a free weekend to do the build. Suggest reaching out to Garry Kemp as he has some really good components…such as NPR Piston Rings. Good luck.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Drawfiler said:

I converted my engine to 2.2 using new bits and a used enginel and have lots of good 2l bits left over, crank, pistons, etc if they are any help

Many thanks , appreciate the reply . Mine is a 2.2 and its a 2.2 crank I need so I need to keep hunting . I have found two sources but its eye wateringly expensive .🙁

3 minutes ago, GavinT said:

I had the exact same failure on my 88 Esprit Turbo. Thrust washer spat out, found in the oil pan, and the crank had drilled the block. Crank toast and debatable whether the block was repairable. This is becoming more and more common on 9XX as the miles and driving styles take their toll. I opted to buy a used engine. However that became a rebuild rabbit hole after discovering the bearings were scored. Ultimately I am combining the best of the two engines to make one.  I am still in the process of rebuilding mine but I’m up for the challenge. I have all the puzzle pieces just need to find a free weekend to do the build. Suggest reaching out to Garry Kemp as he has some really good components…such as NPR Piston Rings. Good luck.

We pressure tested the block and head today and I think we have got away with it, no visible damage to the block and its not porous. So the hunt for a crank goes on .

The cranks are expensive but there are just not that many to be had. I paid $1600 for a ‘ good standard ‘ crank from JAE.  I have a spare 2.2 crank that is .030 under on the mains. At this point I’m holding on it with intention of using it in a 2.2 upgrade on my S1.

4 minutes ago, Drawfiler said:

Have you considered shipping a complete used 2.2 engine from the UK? I appreciate it is a risk but worth trying.

I am in the UK ,in Sussex. 🙂