Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which sports exhaust for GT3 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which sports exhaust for GT3

After doing some research on this forum, YouTube and every other place I can think of I've come to the conclusion that a sports cat and either a Quicksilver silenced system PNM or Larini system will be the best solution to add some aural drama to the GT3 I'm going to be picking up on Sunday. The car in question already has the Alunox manifold fitted.  From what I can make out any one of these three systems should give me a nice bark and growl without giving me a headache........but which one to choose??   

Shaun

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
11 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Off topic warning!!

Congratulations on your new car Shaun - brilliant choice 😎.  Will you be bringing it to LITP?

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks mate 👍.  Yes all being well I will be in the Esprit. Its quite possible my Excel will he there too as I told the new owner about it and he seemed very keen to come along. I'm bracing myself for the stick I'll get off Jerry for buying an Esprit 😂😉. Hopefully when you see it, you'll appreciate why I've bought it! The Excel sold within a week!

See you soon 😎

Regards

Shaun

• Like 1

I didn't even know your car was up for sale until very recently!  I looked at a couple of Esprits when I got rid of the track car but decided on the Elite.  Looking forward to seeing your new car!  Jerry's in no position as an Elise owner! 😉.  But you know he doesn't like forced induction - he thinks it's cheating 😂

Pete

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

I didn't even know your car was up for sale until very recently!  I looked at a couple of Esprits when I got rid of the track car but decided on the Elite.  Looking forward to seeing your new car!  Jerry's in no position as an Elise owner! 😉.  But you know he doesn't like forced induction - he thinks it's cheating 😂

Pete

It's a long story how I came to sell my car and buy the Esprit, I'll fill you in at LITP 😀

Shaun

• Like 1

Word of warning @shaunw . I have a Larini on mine with standard manifold (2.2l not GT3), I've been told by a GT3 owner that mine drowns his out even when he's driving along at the same speed as me, and he has a relatively free-flowing non-standard system.  That's not to say that I'd have it any other way, just that it may not be as quiet (relatively) as you expect.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, andydclements said:

Word of warning @shaunw . I have a Larini on mine with standard manifold (2.2l not GT3), I've been told by a GT3 owner that mine drowns his out even when he's driving along at the same speed as me, and he has a relatively free-flowing non-standard system.  That's not to say that I'd have it any other way, just that it may not be as quiet (relatively) as you expect.

Thanks for the info Andy, 👍I want it to sound like a sports car but don't want anything too extreme. 

It took me three attempts to get the  balance right with a bespoke exhaust I had made for my Excel! One of the reasons I'm looking for an off the shelf solution!

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 has a “Longlife” twin 3” pipes cat back system, just checked and their still in business as it was fitted ten years ago.

It has a nice tone with no resonance when driving, it has a nice gentle pop on de-acceleration and not overly loud at all. From looking at the fitting it’s a well made quality item.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a custom manifold, free flowing mid-pipe and Hayward and Scott backbox (And the BOV insert has since been changed, that's just the one it came with... don't judge me)

Same car onboard, various mods between the two vids but the exhaust is the same.

One thing I would say about the H&W backbox, the welds were cracked on it when I got the car and it was completely stock back then.

Edited by cammmy
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

No problem. One thing to mention, I haven't heard the Alunox manifold but it imagine it's quite a different sound. I believe it has equal length headers whereas mine are very much unequal, giving it the boxer sound. I don't doubt the Alunox is a better performer though.